IGNORED

ABBUC Software contest 2021

holgibo

Hello MrFish

3 hours ago, MrFish said:

I'm sorry, but the title for this contest entry isn't descriptive enough. 

Maybe @Kaj de Vos can explain it better than I can, but from what I understand you'd write something on the Atari, sent it to Kaj's server via your Fujinet, his server compiles it and you somehow get the compiled data back.

Sincerely

Mathy

4 minutes ago, Mathy said:

Hello MrFish

Maybe @Kaj de Vos can explain it better than I can, but from what I understand you'd write something on the Atari, sent it to Kaj's server via your Fujinet, his server compiles it and you somehow get the compiled data back.

Sincerely

Mathy

Hi Mathy,

It sounds pretty interesting.

I was just being sarcastic though. That's about the longest title I've ever seen for a contest entry -- to the point of humor, for me. ;) 

Regards,

MF

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Mathy said:

Hello MrFish

Sincerely

Mathy

Yes, that's exactly it. The description was taken from the source code, it wasn't a soundbite for the public. :-)

The problem is in the "somehow". I don't have FujiNet, and in later testing we found that FujiNet doesn't work yet for the mode I am using. So we will figure it out later and the software will be delayed a bit.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/10/2021 at 1:39 AM, rra said:

Here is a video of Kooky Klimber 2021 from the A/W/A team.

It looks like a single joystick game ? While I can understand this, the fun of the arcade version is that you have two joysticks which control the left and right hands of the player individually.

This makes it a lot harder and thus more fun. Kookie Klimber would be much better with a 2 joystick option (like Robotron, it’s not the same with one joystick).

This would also require a serious change in the game’s behaviour and the player would need to be animated….so it’s a lot of work but it would make it a really interesting conversion.

Just MHO.

Edited by Level42

@shanti77 - After the contest, would it be possible to adjust Gacek to run correctly on NTSC? Right now, the enemies flash as they are appearing (as on PAL), but they keep flashing instead of appearing as complete enemies (as they do on PAL). I have noticed on some of the later levels that I am not sure if the enemy is there or not when I play on my NTSC XEGS. When I use emulation (Altirra, Atari800MacX) where I can emulate PAL, there is no confusion about whether the enemy exists or not and the flashing stops when the enemy is done appearing.

It may not be possible to tweak Gacek to work completely on NTSC or you may not be interested in doing it. I am simply making the request.

Bob C 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, shanti77 said:

@darwinmac Currently, the game runs on Atari 64K PAL, see the description for information. The NTSC version will require more RAM (probably 128KB), you have to adjust the colors and sounds and slow down the game.

----

ABBUC results will only be on December?

I read the description on the ABBUC disk, but I did not see a mention of PAL-only. It is too bad the NTSC version will need 128k as my stock XEGS only has 64k. 

I thought the ABBUC results would be announced in November prior to the annual meeting. 

Bob C

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry, this year there´s too much confusion. After postponing the annual meeting again, we announced, that the results will be published at the NOMAM meeting, which is... TODAY:

There will be a short live stream from Itzehoe, Germany at 9pm GMT+2 (very soon) :

https://youtu.be/qmlnZpkccCw

The results then will be published at the ABBUC Forums and here.

And then we keep on working getting everything back on track, so that the next magazine is in time again, which means, that it´ll ship before xmas.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, janzh said:

Thanx for the compition. It was fun.

VARIUS is my first game.

https://github.com/HolgerJanz/VARIUS 

I did not realize Varius was the first game you wrote. I enjoyed playing it. I know it is based on 2048, but the color combinations made it a bit different. 

Thanks for releasing your game to non-ABBUC members. 

Bob C

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Yautja said:

Does anybody know where to get "Brush Up" game from?

- Y -

First of all, it is not a game. It is a paint program that requires OSS’ Basic XL and 128K to run. 

I assume the author will make a topic here if he is going to release it to the community. 

Bob C

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/16/2021 at 11:30 AM, darwinmac said:

First of all, it is not a game. It is a paint program that requires OSS’ Basic XL and 128K to run. 

I assume the author will make a topic here if he is going to release it to the community. 

Bob C

I can release it.  Have Fun! Works well with Altirra and normal keyboard as well.

BrushupV40Contest.atr

• Like 1

On 11/13/2021 at 2:24 PM, skr said:

Sorry, this year there´s too much confusion. After postponing the annual meeting again, we announced, that the results will be published at the NOMAM meeting, which is... TODAY:

There will be a short live stream from Itzehoe, Germany at 9pm GMT+2 (very soon) :

https://youtu.be/qmlnZpkccCw

The results then will be published at the ABBUC Forums and here.

And then we keep on working getting everything back on track, so that the next magazine is in time again, which means, that it´ll ship before xmas.

Never mind the is working again .... no worries!! thanks!

Edited by rsh

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, BLASTERS said:

so these are the official results ????

any other links to see results and compo info ??? i cant find the abbuc home page etc is it still down??

1) Yes, these are the official results. Screenshot taken from youtube video...

2) youtube video here

3) https://abbuc.de   works.  (login works via forum)

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/9/2021 at 6:54 PM, rsh said:

I can release it.  Have Fun! Works well with Altirra and normal keyboard as well.

BrushupV40Contest.atr 90.02 kB · 12 downloads

FYI: I just tried BrushupV40 in Altirra 4.0 and the drawing editor (key detects) work fine, but the menu's outside of the editor are extremely slow to pick up a key press.  Altirra 3.20 works correctly like the real hardware 130xe.  Not sure what is causing this, maybe a Bug with Altirra4.0 or new setting/compatibility check is required.