IGNORED

Atari XE Remake Pre Order Thread

santosp

If you look at the Attachments for this thread (top of the page), you should find Video Conn Setup.png.  It has a suggested VBXE setup, you can't run VBXE and composite/s-video at the same time, through the main connector.  Have you populated the UAV section at all?  The stock composite is going to be really bad, there isn't any reason to not use the UAV, for composite/s-video.  There does need to be a wire run under the rom, there is a picture, also in the attachments that show you which pins.

• Like 1

Yeah I can't really comment on the modification, my board revision was the latest and had those fixes integrated.

As for the composite on UAV, I've actually seen better video from the stock circuit on some TVs. Some TVs like stock luma and UAV chroma or vice versa too: it's worth some experimenting. Seems counter intuitive but it's been my experience!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, Crc_Error said:

scorpio_ny where can one source the complete parts list

@santosp had posted a BOM Mouser basket of the parts needed. Over time, the have been some revisions or updates. In my case, I used the revised NTSC list posted by @Panther as a file that was posted in this thread. Here is the link

32 minutes ago, Crc_Error said:

scodoes that fit into a 130XE case? 

It was designed to be a drop in replacement. If you look at my photo, it is installed in the lower portion of the Atari 130XE case.

33 minutes ago, Crc_Error said:

Is that the final version of the motherboard without any errors?

The last revision  of the motherboard (I believe) corrected any errors. If this will be the last revision, on @santosp knows!

36 minutes ago, Crc_Error said:

Sorry if I'm asking stupid questions....

You are not asking any stupid questions. We are all here to help each other out. One thing to point out, I am not sure if there are any motherboards available for purchase at this time. You can ask around to see if someone has a spare board that they may want to sell. You have any other questions, ask away!

Thank you very much for info. I would love to build one over time that is.  I think I saw this posting for the 800XL https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p4432023.m570.l1313&_nkw=800xl+remake&_sacat=0  but don't know much about them if they are a final working product or where to start getting parts.  But yours looks amazing.  Would make a great winter electronics project your 130XE remake that is.  Anyways thanks for info. 

32 minutes ago, Crc_Error said:

Thank you very much for info. I would love to build one over time that is.  I think I saw this posting for the 800XL https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p4432023.m570.l1313&_nkw=800xl+remake&_sacat=0  but don't know much about them if they are a final working product or where to start getting parts.  But yours looks amazing.  Would make a great winter electronics project your 130XE remake that is.  Anyways thanks for info. 

You're welcome! With these projects, over time, they can evolve and change. Here is the author's website that originated the 800XL motherboard remake that you linked from eBay. The website publishes a bill of materials needed to build the computer. Some of the parts are easily acquired since they are off shelf parts that be acquired from companies that sell electronics. What is difficult to get is some of the proprietary components since they no longer manufactured and getting more scarce.

On 6/1/2023 at 5:26 AM, reifsnyderb said:

OS R 2 will only test the first 64k.  OS R 3 and OS R 4 will test banking but has the banks messed up. 

Here's a version, in the last post, with the banks fixed:  https://forums.atariage.com/topic/345355-xl-os-r4-wfast-chip-for-math-pack/#comment-5190442

However, depending upon the banking scheme, I recall that the extended memory test will still fail.  Without reading through this thread, if this board has more than 128k, you should use another memory test program.

Simtest will work: https://forums.atariage.com/topic/333084-swutils-simcheck-simtest-osdump/#comment-5028425

FYI, I tried your newest 6.1 OS, on this system, that I was getting garbage on OEM OS after a certain point in the Ram test (only w/extended memory enabled).  Whatever the issue was seems to have been resolved, though did see a slight blanking flash once at the end of the first line of test, and believe I noticed the same issue that @deffroe was noticing on the second line, where 2-3 "P" were almost instantaneously filled in, then continued as normal.  Also the 4th Ram line, was also all filled in, instantaneously, but not sure which part of the ram that was supposed to represent?  Also not sure if you want to do this or not.  I also use Altirra Basic just to see if it would work, in the onboard Rom, which obviously isn't recognized by OS, since it isn't an OEM version.

44 minutes ago, wildstar87 said:

FYI, I tried your newest 6.1 OS, on this system, that I was getting garbage on OEM OS after a certain point in the Ram test (only w/extended memory enabled).  Whatever the issue was seems to have been resolved, though did see a slight blanking flash once at the end of the first line of test, and believe I noticed the same issue that @deffroe was noticing on the second line, where 2-3 "P" were almost instantaneously filled in, then continued as normal.  Also the 4th Ram line, was also all filled in, instantaneously, but not sure which part of the ram that was supposed to represent?  Also not sure if you want to do this or not.  I also use Altirra Basic just to see if it would work, in the onboard Rom, which obviously isn't recognized by OS, since it isn't an OEM version.

The final RAM line is the individual bits.  Theoretically, if a single DRAM chip is bad, only one bit should show as being bad.  Knowing which bit should allow you to locate the bad DRAM chip quickly....as long as you can boot to the self test, of course.  I am not able to test this as I didn't realize I could use bad DRAM chips for something and through them in the trash.

I am about out of space to add Altirra BASIC to the mix.  However, some space could be made by moving certain self test sections back to the main ROM regions.  Presently, I am reserving space, in the main ROM regions, for that Atari Wozmon....if the source code is released.

Edited by reifsnyderb

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone, I wanted to post a couple of updates in reference to my build.

I initially used the connectors for the cartridge and ECI port supplied by Ali Express for my build. What I found that it was a little short and because of the  pins, it did not lie flat. I had followed some of the informational guides on the ABBUC forums in how to mount the connectors, but I found it very problematic with the cartridges that I had. Some cartridges would mount but if I touch them in any way, they would pop out since the connectors are slightly shorter that the original connectors. Other cartridges I had would not work at all. I was thinking of maybe using a cartridge connector, but in the end, I decided to order original connectors. It was not a pleasant experience removing the the Ali Express connector from the mother motherboard, but I was able to do it without damaging anything. I am just curious about other builder's experience with the Ali Express connector and also a warning for those who are thinking about using them.

On another note, my build uses a GTIAdigitizer and a Pokeymax which required external connections. I did not want to drill holes in my 130XE case, so I designed and printed an XE breakout box that leverages the RF modulator cutouts for a breakout box. The box connects very securely too. I wanted to share it with my fellow builders here  in case they were looking for a similar solution. I have posted the STL files on Thingiverse and on Printables

IMG_4079.thumb.jpeg.a5c7440481cd3d7509d936e189c77aa0.jpeg    IMG_4078.thumb.jpeg.5a14d10e6c7bdb07dec1755a838d63e7.jpeg  IMG_4076.thumb.jpeg.a4cefd2d8e8707ee3721baf40af9d53c.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, scorpio_ny said:

I did not want to drill holes in my 130XE case, so I designed and printed an XE breakout box that leverages the RF modulator cutouts for a breakout box. The box connects very securely too. I wanted to share it with my fellow builders here  in case they were looking for a similar solution. I have posted the STL files on Thingiverse and on Printables

13 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

love those kinds of possible non damaging additions

Yeah, +1 for this. Nice design.

2 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

@scorpio_ny

love those kinds of possible non damaging additions, I would however choose shielded jumper wires/cables for clean video bliss etc

I agree. I did not have any suitable shielded cables on hand. Would twisted pair (like the cabling used in ethernet cabling) be suitable for something like this? 🤔

Not for video,

The drawback to twisted-pair transmission, especially with commonly used un-shielded-twisted-pair (UTP), is the tendency for common-mode noise pickup to degrade the video quality at the receive end amplifier that's why it's best to use individually shielded cable, that keeps the core conductor length the shorted, and the impedance correct.

Edited by _The Doctor__

23 hours ago, scorpio_ny said:

I agree. I did not have any suitable shielded cables on hand. Would twisted pair (like the cabling used in ethernet cabling) be suitable for something like this? 🤔

RG179 is a small diameter(0.1") 75 ohm coaxial cable that should work for this type of application. It could also be used for building custom Atari 8-bit video cables, wrapping multiple strands in a braided sheath afterwards:

https://www.awcwire.com/rg-catalog/rg179-coax-cable

https://www.ebay.com/itm/272586598819?hash=item3f776d69a3:g:Ac4AAOSwh2xX~JO9&

Edited by BillC
  • Like 1

We have video issues because Atari's in chip and discrete on PCB video circuitry was designed by someone who's never seen a circuit, or a good video image  before.

I don't know if it was 'bring your five year old to work and set them free to create' day when most of Atari's video circuitry was drafted, but I suspect it was.

Anyways, the proof is in the pudding: Scorpio_ny, let us know the differences you see if you do go for full shielded cable to the RCA connectors?

I've got two XE's, one with DuPont patch cable clipped to the motherboard and vaguely twisted, zero shielding anywhere - and one with a full case, sheilding on, and nice coax from the din connector - and I can see nada in the way of quality difference.

YMMV and I'm curious.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BillC said:

Maybe be cheaper to cut up an old VGA cable and use that. As long as you find a decent one it'll be internally shielded and 75ohm spec. 🙂

If it's good enough for SVGA resolution and refresh rates it should handle s/video and composite OK.

Edited by ChrisXF
spooling and punkchoation