IGNORED

Geneve V2.00 Eprom

9640News

I am going to be out of touch for the next 3 hours or so, so a couple of things to test depending upon where you and Chris wind up.

In the MDOS730.zip file, there was a program GENCFG.  I believe it will identify the TIPI if it is seen in the PEBox and report the CRU address.  That way, you can confirm at CRU >1800.  I am not 100% certain GENCFG sees it, so hopefully @InsaneMultitasker can confirm the program identifies the TIPI.

Second thing you can do is to confirm in a TI-99/4A setup, you can run the program DSK0.TIPICFG 

When you run the program, it too should give you the CRU address the TIPI is currently configured and confirms everything is running well.

I am going to make the assumption you have already taken Matt's SDIMAGE and burned it to the SD card, expanded it, and let it do whatever updates it needed.  If all you did was expand it to the SD card and did nothing else, you will need to update the PI code to the latest version before you will be able to boot.  You need to run TIPICFG to update or there is a PI command if you can SSH into the PI.  See Matt's WIKI for those details.  I think the latest PI version is 2.23.  Alternatively, it can be done in rompage mode in TIMODE/GPL mode on the Geneve or you can do it in a TI-99/4A setup.  Whichever is easier for you.

Beery

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GDMike said:

I haven't read all of your message but I just wanted to let you know that we got it to boot using address 1800. I know you said that. And we've been talking quite awhile, sorry for the slow response. But yay, it booted..thank you. Now I'll go read...

OK, I looked at your video and see that when you did a DIR TIP1. resulted in no output.  If you have an unusually high number of files and directories, it may take some time.  However, I suspect this is not the case.

If things locked up when you did a DIR TIP1. , then at the moment, I am not sure what the cause may be.  Next step would be to copy the program GDM2K to floppy as well as to the TIPI.  GDM2K can be found in the Projects link at My TI99/4A and Geneve Web Pages (ti99-geek.nl) 

Then, you should be able to run GDM2K with something like the following command line:

GDM2K TIP1.

Then, report back any results/responses you get.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, 9640News said:

OK, I looked at your video and see that when you did a DIR TIP1. resulted in no output.  If you have an unusually high number of files and directories, it may take some time.  However, I suspect this is not the case.

If things locked up when you did a DIR TIP1. , then at the moment, I am not sure what the cause may be.  Next step would be to copy the program GDM2K to floppy as well as to the TIPI.  GDM2K can be found in the Projects link at My TI99/4A and Geneve Web Pages (ti99-geek.nl) 

Then, you should be able to run GDM2K with something like the following command line:

GDM2K TIP1.

Yeah, I did lock up, but that was before changing my tipiPEB address to >1800.

Now a dir of TIP1. Results a real directory list while a Dir of A: reads my Floppy just fine. Swhooo.. good.

I'm trying to figure out how to copy GDM2K to floppy...I can get it to the tipi just fine. But I can't seem to launch it unless it's on Floppy..

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, 9640News said:

GDM2K TIP1.

Now a dir of TIP1. Results a real directory list while a Dir of A: reads my Floppy just fine. Swhooo.. good.

I'm trying to figure out how to copy GDM2K to floppy...I can get it to the tipi just fine. But I can't seem to launch it unless it's on Floppy..

2 minutes ago, GDMike said:

I'm pretty sure the issue you are having is the file is in V9T9 format and not TIFILES format.

It sounds like you need to use TIDIR (at the same URL as GDM2K>PROJECTS.  Run TIDIR on your PC, and make sure the file on your TIPI is in TIFILES format and not V9T9.  TIDIR has an option to convert to TIFILES format.  Hopefully, you have used TIDIR in the past and are familiar with the program.  TIDIR is a Windows program.

Alternatively, you can convert the file while it is still on your PC, then drag/copy the converted file to your TIPI path.

OK, if you have it on the TIPI at the same file path as LOAD-TIP, then you should be able to do the following:

TIP1.GDM2K TIP1. DSK1.

I won't be back on until tomorrow for any followup.

• Like 2

I got it done with TDIR . Don't know why my phone is echoing posts...

Anyway, yes. I dl'd GM2K and threw it on my A: floppy gotek and it loaded from geneve MDOS prompt. Very nice, I made my first sub folder. Exciting. 

Thank you Mr. Beery, TIM and Shift838 for all your hard work I'm excited to display what you all have done.

This is a game changer for geneve. 

Edited by GDMike
  • Like 2

So my next step I tried after boot-up and being able to copy files to a new sub folder, is the ability to launch a program.

After booting off TIpi, I'm left with an A: and blinking cursor.

And of course anything I try running has to be on my A: or B: drives, and that always works. But I was trying to load off of the TIpi. Maybe this is still under development?

I did try the "X" from GDM2K, but it never launched the program I was trying.

7 hours ago, GDMike said:

I did try the "X" from GDM2K, but it never launched the program I was trying.

Depending upon how you acquired and moved any programs to your TIPI drive, they may be in either TIFILES format or V9T9 format.  If you have mapped your TIPI drive to a network drive on your Windows PC, then you can use TIDIR to display the directories.  Look to see if any of the files show as V9T9.  They may still be shown as DIS/VAR 80, PROGRAM, etc, but there is the next field over that shows if they are TIFILES, V9T9, or I think even Classic 99.  They all need to be TIFILES format.

image.thumb.png.613319f298f8366fbfbc6d1f962af361.png

Under the TOOLS menu option, there is an option to: "Convert V9T9 to TIFILES". The PI routines Matt wrote uses the TIFILES header to identify the file type, size, etc.  When you copy a file from another device (DSK, SCSI, etc), then when the file is saved, the PI software adds the TIFILES header to it.  It is not something you generally have to worry about, except when you are adding files to the TIPI from a non-TI system.

As far as being able to run program files from the TIPI, everything thus far tested has worked just like with any other device.  @InsaneMultitasker did a fantastic job in that area!!!

If you haven't already, then you should map a drive letter on your Windows PC to your TIPI.  This will allow easier file dragging and dropping from the Windows system to your TIPI.  This is getting to be more important now with this forum as files are ZIP'd up for distribution since you have to have a web browser to even be on the forum.

I don't think I have used the "X" function of GDM2K.  More than likely, the "X" function did not work because the file was in V9T9 format.

Another suggestion, in your AUTOEXEC on your TIP1.AUTOEXEC file, add a line like:

ASSIGN E=TIP1:

Now, drive letter E will be your TIPI drive.

Then, you should be able to do something like:

COPY A:\GDM2* E:\

or

COPY A:\GDM2* TIP1.

Either above should work.

The other thing to keep in mind, is depending upon how much free memory you have in your computer, you might end up "X" executing a program, but the program to be loaded will not have enough memory to run and could abort.

Later.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I have received two V2.00 eproms, I have tried them both and the same problem occurs on both of them. 

When I fire up the Geneve the swan image appears, after  few seconds it starts DSK1, I can hear the drive move the head and then I get a message that there is no MDOS-disk inserted. I certainly have V7.30 in the drive.

I have also removed TIPI and IDE cards in case they interfere, but no luck.

Anyone, is it the eproms that doesn't work or have I overseen something?

note, it loads the disk when I switch back to v.1.0.

On 10/3/2021 at 7:28 AM, Nick99 said:

I have received two V2.00 eproms, I have tried them both and the same problem occurs on both of them. 

When I fire up the Geneve the swan image appears, after  few seconds it starts DSK1, I can hear the drive move the head and then I get a message that there is no MDOS-disk inserted. I certainly have V7.30 in the drive.

what disk controller are you using?

what format is the disk?

On 10/3/2021 at 10:28 AM, Nick99 said:

Rename SYSTEM/SYS to SYSTEM-SYS if you have not done so already.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, arcadeshopper said:

what disk controller are you using?

what format is the disk?

TI disk controller.

14 hours ago, 9640News said:

Rename SYSTEM/SYS to SYSTEM-SYS if you have not done so already.

Thanks, I think I have missed that part! Will check that out in the coming days.

• Like 3

On 10/5/2021 at 2:20 AM, Nick99 said:

TI disk controller.

Thanks, I think I have missed that part! Will check that out in the coming days.

Also double check the naming as when I was upgraded to 2.0 and the name was changed but it was not reflected correctly on the TI File System.  Once I corrected it then it was all good.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...