IGNORED

Little 6502 trick

glurk

This is actually a question.  Back when I was younger, I used to know a bunch of little 6502 tricks / optimizations, whatever.  And I'm trying to remember one.  Say I have a bit of code like this:

LDX MYINDEX
INX
CPX #$03
BNE .noreset
LDX #$00

.noreset    STX MYINDEX

So this makes MYINDEX cycle 0,1,2,0,1,2 etc...  But it's so ugly with the CPX and the BNE branch.  Isn't there a more clean / elegant way to do this that takes the same number of cycles each time?  I swear I used to know how to do that.  Or I think I did, LOL.  Using exclusive or, or rotate, or something.  It doesn't even have to use X, it can use the Accumulator instead.  But I just can't figure it out...

Basically use a cycle of 0-3 instead of 0-2. there's a number of ways to implement it, such as this if you're going to use myindex in X right away:

ldx myindex
    inx
    txa
    and #3
    sta myindex

or this if you're going to use myindex later:

inc myindex
    lda myindex
    and #3
    sta myindex

33 minutes ago, Andrew Davie said:

lda index
cmp #2
adc #1
and #3
sta index

Perfect.  I thought maybe there was a quicker way than that, but this one is fine.  It's for a 3-frame animation.  If it was 0,1,2,3 it would be easy, but it's not.  I was getting a headache trying to figure this one out, LOL!!  Thanks.

Edited by glurk

If it's just about an index for an animation, I would do it the other way round: counting down, so you can spare the compare:

ldx counter
   dex
   bpl @noreset
   ldx #$02
@noreset:
   stx counter

All you need is to reverse the order of the animation frames. But Andrew's a bit faster... of course. But mine's one byte shorter.

• Like 3