IGNORED

[Artist needed] Jump animation for a new game

Greetings!

I'm currently working on a new, simple game for Atari. Engine-wise the game is already complete.

Since I'm known for notoriously creating ugly graphics I was wondering if there is somebody willing to help in that matter :)

What is to be done is a jump animation of two, sprite-based figures. I can share more details in the private message.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

@Avram

Thanks! Finally, there was no one to help so I had to sharpen my character animation skills :D

As you can hear, I wasn't that successful with my music skills :lol: If anyone would like to contribute, I'm still open.

@rdefabri

As posted on YT - there's still one outstanding bug to be fixed. To be honest I already forgot about this game since my kids are already bored of it :) But anyway, I'll try to finish it and release during the coming weekend, as some heavy rains are predicted in the area.

Background is a cheap trick. It's just a banch of frames pre-rendered using my "metaballs" tool (no cert, but secure: http://chabowski.eu/blobs) and loaded into the extram - that's why the game required 1MB of extended memory ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like 3

That's the bugfix that took me ~3h to nail down: https://github.com/mgr-inz-rafal/skakatory/commit/d6a0eaccbf322408229d7b833b549dee615a6754

I hate software development :D

Anyway,

The release will be postponed a bit, since I was lucky enough to receive a cool music from one of the forum members. I requested some minimal change to the rmt file and now I'm awaiting answer. Some more time will be needed to wire up the rmt player and to add credits on the title screen.

Stay tuned :)

Edited by mgr_inz_rafal
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Folks,

The game is now finished, you can find the .xex file attached.

Once again, please bear in mind that it requires 1MB of RAM.

Big thanks to @pseudografx for coming up with the music.

PS. As all my other games this one comes with a source code as well: https://github.com/mgr-inz-rafal/skakatory

skakatory.xex

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

47 minutes ago, mgr_inz_rafal said:

Hi Folks,

The game is now finished, you can find the .xex file attached.

Once again, please bear in mind that it requires 1MB of RAM.

Big thanks to @pseudografx for coming up with the music.

PS. As all my other games this one comes with a source code as well: https://github.com/mgr-inz-rafal/skakatory

skakatory.xex 810.6 kB · 2 downloads

I had some issues running this on Altirra using a 130XE / 1M RAM as the profile.  I'll keep playing with it and let you know if I can make it work.

In answer to your original question...

When you don't have someone available to look after the graphics designs - you can always make use of animations from sprite sheets.  Just don't use a well known (trademark) character, or change that character so that it's not instantly recognisable.

The more frames of animation you use for that particular motion the better it'll look.

A lot of games don't make use of enough frames so that the action looks good or convincing.

It's always good to see someone new taking the plunge and work on their own game.

Harvey

@mgr_inz_rafal I wonder if at some stage rather than the background animation being a set of prerendered frames (which as you say take up a large amount  of space),  it could be coded in real-time?  That way the game would have a vastly smaller footprint.

You see demos with real-time lighting and bump mapping effects so I am sure it's entirely possible. 

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 1

On 8/31/2022 at 11:34 PM, rdefabri said:

I had some issues running this on Altirra using a 130XE / 1M RAM as the profile

Hmm, do you have updates on that? I played it in both Altirra and Atari800 as well as on real 800XL with Ultimate 1MB.

On 9/2/2022 at 8:35 AM, Beeblebrox said:

I wonder if at some stage rather than the background animation being a set of prerendered frames (which as you say take up a large amount  of space),  it could be coded in real-time?  That way the game would have a vastly smaller footprint.

You see demos with real-time lighting and bump mapping effects so I am sure it's entirely possible. 

Ok, so the most notable example I know of is the "Bumpong" game by Fox (https://github.com/pfusik/bumpong). I think that in my game it should be possible to not use the prerendered frames and use some smart calculations with a support from look-up tables, especially because the background animation is completly predictable. I won't be changing it, though, as I see it's too much effort for little to no benefit (that's a fancy way to say I'm "lazy") :)

Also there's more than that. Initial idea was to have the animation frames being prepared by an graphics artist to make it more "cartoonish" and fully dedicated for children. For example, one of the ideas was that the characters jump over the rocks rolling at the bottom while there is some animation of clouds, meadows, birds, animals in the background. Other idea was to recreate the animation from Little Big Planet (which was actually an inspiration to this game) (scroll to 1:36)

So I deliberately went cheap and prepared the engine to just switch animation frames and call it a day. In fact, this is how the "prototype" looked like - the background were just a straight lines but even at that point it already was 800kb worth of frames to be replaced with nice graphics :)

image.png.ee9ae7575d0f9ed4694d1e92a7992a05.png

The artist gave up at some point, so I had to come up with some graphics myself. Since my gfx skill are not up to scratch I decided to prerender the frames using the blobs algorithm I was working on at that time to sharpen my WASM skills :)

And that's it, done and dusted.

Sorry for a long story :)

@CharlieChaplin

Thanks for taking the effort to pack the file, cool stuff!

Edited by mgr_inz_rafal
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing Skakatory on tomorrow's stream LIVE on Twitch, hope you can join us!

Games:

(WATCH at 1080P60 FOR BEST QUALITY)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1