IGNORED

Has the STacy and Mega STe gone way up in value?

Zap!

23 minutes ago, ParanoidLittleMan said:

How long you work in vintage electronic ? 2 weeks, 3 weeks ?

Seriously, you want to be smarter in this than someone who works with electronic for over 40 years. 'Almost never tubes' - yeah, that's why tube based computers prevailed on market ? I must be reading very false info saying that tube computers needed repair (tube replacements) every couple hours. And sure, that matches my personal experience - with tube TVs ++ (still in use when I started with repairs) - big part of TV, amplifier and radio failures was broken, weakened tube.

It is not heat what kills components - well, at least not directly. Moisture in air is what makes silicon based chips to break. That's the reason why industry, military grade chips must be in ceramic case instead plastic.

let's say 40+ years in electronics as hobby and professional repair tech, so not a newb by any measure.  I can see moisture being an issue in any electronics, but if kept well, should be OK.  Main problem may be chip manufacturing as defective/failure, well known with Mostek and some Micron mem chips.  FWIW, worked for IBM in semiconductor fabrication for about 6 years...

• 1 year later...
11 hours ago, sideburn said:

How much does everyone think a STacy 2 in excellent working condition. Nice display and backlight. Boots off hard drive and loaded with software worth in 2023. I want to make sure I didn’t pay to much 😂 

Good physical condition as well (no chips or deep scratches)? Hinges work well? I guess these days, if you paid under $800 you got a nice deal.

3 minutes ago, sideburn said:

$1200 😕

People always have varied opinions on prices/value.

Good condition, good backlight, good display.... That's not unfair.  Some might think it is but.... is it really that it's unfair, or that "they want it but can't afford it"?  I don't think you should feel cheated and probably would be better off than if you had to replace the backlight and/or display or track down a missing part like the trac ball holder or a cover.

Plus, working HD... 2meg... And you wanted it, right?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, sideburn said:

$1200 😕

I forgot how much they have gone up in value. Even if you did slightly overpay, money comes back. :) Plus it'll likely go up in the years to come.

I was extremely lucky in 2016. I bought one listed as untested on eBay with no power supply for $312. After getting a new power supply (around $80, so the total went to about $400), everything worked flawlessly. You can view that thread here if you like.

Anyway, let's see some pics of your STacy. 😎

Edited by Zap!

20 minutes ago, Zap! said:

I forgot how much they have gone up in value. Even if you did slightly overpay, money comes back. :) Plus it'll likely go up in the years to come.

I was extremely lucky in 2016. I bought one listed as untested on eBay with no power supply for $312. After getting a new power supply (around $80, so the total went to about $400), everything worked flawlessly. You can view that thread here if you like.

Anyway, let's see some pics of your STacy. 😎

I bargained with him for days on eBay. He was asking $1600 for it. I finally pulled the trigger at $1,200 plus $30 shipping. 

says everything is working and had a bunch of music stuff on it. 

here the post https://www.ebay.com/itm/364096863804?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=bWmIrX5GR06&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=vQ425jH5TBq&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

and pics:

60947CB7-16C4-4AB9-AABB-B9E342379043.jpeg

D7997B70-C1AF-4296-944D-FF6D42B40CE0.jpeg

4E31D300-B1BE-4F4A-B253-B6E563802A26.jpeg

1F309487-16DB-4C2C-8C6D-7E829971C690.jpeg

D42B9137-E188-4D90-94E4-C6467CC89987.jpeg

50B15FA6-C2CE-4F65-9D71-93759CE65FF4.jpeg

166A5C3C-D48C-44C2-B500-68F60F63AA95.jpeg

02546395-E0CF-4838-9FF2-9ACD5471C0DD.jpeg

995D154A-4C89-4FC1-91EA-76DFE953F012.jpeg

CD2DBC43-22BC-48F1-9384-C8ED12AA0834.jpeg

3E57A936-75DD-4401-A79F-CA916D8DBA29.jpeg

8F979D6F-AA2F-442E-BC6F-D2ABA8EC398D.jpeg

6FBD7C5F-30B2-452A-9C64-A9F0946BB710.jpeg

3110E12E-FB95-45B7-B086-806E89F20D37.jpeg

9AAD62F1-2D9B-4AD7-8DAA-0FF9EA60D2B3.jpeg

A4407984-B385-4878-A449-CBACC99DACBB.jpeg

BAEB0370-4A68-4D81-93F9-48D8255065E9.jpeg

B66D0A91-1FD9-4589-84B7-4AFFE1D01AD5.jpeg

• Like 1

Yeah.... this is a great specimen.  I know one of the other challenges is finding US ones (I'm not sure about the STacy), but I know I'm always disappointed when most of the ST/TT/Falcon are non-US ones... even if it is easy to convert them, I hate taking the effort.

Even has the head protector... that alone could probably be worth something the way things are in the retro collector world. ;)

Also, the Atari power supply is a nice touch as well.  Mine came with an aftermarket one.

On 5/2/2021 at 11:45 AM, ParanoidLittleMan said:

It is not heat what kills components - well, at least not directly. Moisture in air is what makes silicon based chips to break. That's the reason why industry, military grade chips must be in ceramic case instead plastic.

Yes moisture and Oxygen simply leak into the chip substrate unless it's hermetically sealed. Gets in there between the black plastic/epoxy housing and the external metal contacts/pins. Takes time, but it does get in there.

1 hour ago, Tillek said:

Yeah.... this is a great specimen.  I know one of the other challenges is finding US ones (I'm not sure about the STacy), but I know I'm always disappointed when most of the ST/TT/Falcon are non-US ones... even if it is easy to convert them, I hate taking the effort.

Even has the head protector... that alone could probably be worth something the way things are in the retro collector world. ;)

Also, the Atari power supply is a nice touch as well.  Mine came with an aftermarket one.

Yeah I was thinking the same about US / NTSC being hard to find. Oh yeah the floppy protector. Yeah that’s a nice to have. Now I need the box and manuals!

Edited by sideburn

On 4/27/2021 at 8:46 PM, calimero said:

@Mr Undo 

can you just copy price from ebay here?

For archiving purpose!

(Ebay is asshole company, like all companies, that will hide auction details from us, users, after auction is over.)

Ebay only allows auction results going back 3 months now unless you buy some special service from them, auction pages are deleted completely within 6 months too. Makes it tough to keep track of prices for uncommon games now especially.

I have two max spec (1.44mb floppy, 4mb RAM, HDD) Mega STEs and one has some sort of network card in it I think. One has case damage but I only paid £150 for that one at it works just fine. I think the other one was about £250, can't remember now.

I hope my Atari PC1 is worth enough now to pay for a new rear axle on my classic car lol EGA monitors don't exist in the world which I can collect from near me so it's a bit useless as it came without a monitor.

Wonder how much an STbook would cost now.

Edited by oky2000

On 1/10/2023 at 1:28 AM, oky2000 said:

I hope my Atari PC1 is worth enough now to pay for a new rear axle on my classic car lol EGA monitors don't exist in the world which I can collect from near me so it's a bit useless as it came without a monitor.

How much is that rear axle? 🤔

You have an STBook too?

On 1/9/2023 at 10:28 PM, oky2000 said:

Ebay only allows auction results going back 3 months now unless you buy some special service from them, auction pages are deleted completely within 6 months too. Makes it tough to keep track of prices for uncommon games now especially.

I have two max spec (1.44mb floppy, 4mb RAM, HDD) Mega STEs and one has some sort of network card in it I think. One has case damage but I only paid £150 for that one at it works just fine. I think the other one was about £250, can't remember now.

St book? Probly $3 to $4k I bet. 
I have access to a couple broken Stacy’s for a good price. Could repair and restore. I need to seek help this addiction is getting bad. 

1 hour ago, sideburn said:

St book? Probly $3 to $4k I bet. 
I have access to a couple broken Stacy’s for a good price. Could repair and restore. I need to seek help this addiction is getting bad. 

IMO, one is enough for every computer model. I have 22 computers, 6 of which are Atari's. All are different, and even this way I'm running out of room. :D

20 minutes ago, Zap! said:

IMO, one is enough for every computer model. I have 22 computers, 6 of which are Atari's. All are different, and even this way I'm running out of room. :D

I agree. Was just thinking I could buy them and repair them and sell them and then cover the amount I overpaid for mine 😂 but if I calculate my time doing the work I’ll probably end up more in the hole! 🤦‍♂️ 

20 hours ago, Clint Thompson said:

How much is that rear axle? 🤔

You have an STBook too?

I have no idea but not cheap because it's a custom job, I want to replace the rear drum brake equipped rear axle with a rear disc brake axle from an identical car but a higher up model with a larger engine. Rear drum brakes in a 1991 car are rubbish in UK weather conditions for driving :)

I always fancied an STbook, such a lovely machine. They were rare 20 years ago never mind now, but I did see Stacey's fairly regularly on ebay 2 decades ago.

45 minutes ago, sideburn said:

I found a Stacy 1 and a Stacy 2 that need repair. I can get them both for $1000 + tax and shipping. And then fix them and re sell them for maybe $1000 each? I’m on the fence wether it’s worth the effort. 

That becomes a question of what's wrong with them and whether you'd need to spend more in parts.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tillek said:

That becomes a question of what's wrong with them and whether you'd need to spend more in parts.

I think they are good except for the displays but I have NOS displays... so sounds like a few hours work. I feel like i need to save them but i also feel like an idiot spending ANOTHER $1000.00 for two more after I just spend too much on a working one already! haha