IGNORED

Slide Boy in Maze Land 7800 version

vhzc

QUICK UPDATE

- Corrects graphical glitch in game over screen.

slideboyinmazeland_20210512.a78<--CURRENT ROM

UPDATE:

#################################################

New beta rom:

- All the 30 rooms finished, including "boss".

- Cosmetic changes.

- End of game screen added.

slideboyinmazeland_20210510.a78

New wip rom:

- More rooms (24 in total)

- Cosmetic changes.

- End of game screen added.

slideboyinmazeland_20210506.a78

Hi.

Thuis week I was away of the computer where I am coding my other projects, so in the meanwhile I spend the time starting to port my game  Slide boy in maze land to the 7800.

I have completed a first demo rom with the game mechanics and 16 screens. I have only tested it on a7800 emulator, so testing on actual hardware would be really appreciated.

slideboyinmazeland_demo01.a78

The mechanic of the game is pretty simple:  slide through the room, avoid obstacles, activate some switches and exit the room.

332351944_Capturadepantalla_2021-05-01_23-53-54.thumb.png.8d512a99e8f7290da730119885fb2fa2.png

2008442385_Capturadepantalla_2021-05-01_21-01-15.thumb.png.878a8a7805f38e7584098fcbc4a916b3.png

130253026_Capturadepantalla_2021-05-01_20-59-57.thumb.png.b3c2243dd8dc02bc1bd0b3cd5cdb5469.png

Edited by vhzc
  • Like 16

I really like the graphics on this. However, I do NOT like the movements. It is too sluggish and I'm not a fan that slide boy isn't able to move when doors are opening and I have to wait until door/gate animations finish. I do like the new room designs though and that has me on my toes. Best I could do so far with survivor mode was room 10. Just nearly finished room 11 but my time ran out just as I was about to exit the room.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

I really like the graphics on this. However, I do NOT like the movements. It is too sluggish and I'm not a fan that slide boy isn't able to move when doors are opening and I have to wait until door/gate animations finish. I do like the new room designs though and that has me on my toes. Best I could do so far with survivor mode was room 10. Just nearly finished room 11 but my time ran out just as I was about to exit the room.

Hi.

Thanks for the testing and the feedback.

Waiting for the door animation was a design decision that I wasn't too convinced, so I think I will change that in future releases, but I am happy with the speed of the movement, I think now it feels more like something that slides and suffers from some surface friction. Also I had to look for a balance, not every player will be so insanely good at the game like you.

• Like 1

@-^CrossBow^- edged me out by a few seconds, as I ended up dying just before hitting the button in the room. 

Survivor ended for me trying to beat Room 11 as well, score 560.

@vhzc Normal mode looped back to Room 1 after Room 16.  Any special timing or score to get a congrats/end of demo message, or regardless of timings and score, it always loops back to Room 1?  Just want to make sure I'm not missing (out on) something.

Sweet hearing a couple of sound effects I immediately picked up from Knight Guy.  I like this game, but all three Knight Guy games I do enjoy even more.  Regardless, this game looks good, love that your graphics always have a nice depth to them, never appearing flat or bland.  Controls of course are responsive as usual, though I understand CrossBow's take on the movement.  It's not exactly my cup of tea, as again, more Knight Guy action/adventure is my thing.  Still, I can see this shaping up as another instant 'vhzc' hit.  Great start, Vlad!

Just now, Trebor said:

@-^CrossBow^-just edged me out by a few seconds as I ended up dying just before hitting the button in the room. 

Survivor ended for trying to beat Room 11 as well, score 560.

@vhzc Normal mode just looped back to Room 1 after Room 16.  Any special timing/score to get a congrats/end of demo message, or regardless of timings and score, it always loops back to Room 1?

Sweet hearing a couple of sound effects I immediately picked up from Knight Guy.  I like this game, but all three Knight Guy games I do enjoy even more.  Regardless, this game looks good, love that your graphics always have a nice depth to them, never appearing flat or bland.  Controls of course are responsive as usual, though I completely understand CrossBow's take on it.  It's not exactly my cup of team, as again, more Knight Guy action/adventure is my thing.  Still, I can see this shaping up as another instant 'vhzc' hit.  Great start, Vlad!

Hi.

For now it just loops back to 1, but there will be a congrats message in future releases and some throphy screen similar to SlideBoy2600 in final release.

Knight Guy games are still my main projects, but I like the idea of make (and finish) little shorts game in between, just like the original Slide boy for 2600 (original Slide Boy was completed in a month or so).

This version  could have probably less screens that in the 2600, because since the 7800 has not hardware collision registers, every collision have to be coded as boxcollision or coordinate check and that consume a lot more space than in the 2600.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, vhzc said:

Hi.

For now it just loops back to 1, but there will be a congrats message in future releases and some throphy screen similar to SlideBoy2600 in final release.

Knight Guy games are still my main projects, but I like the idea of make (and finish) little shorts game in between, just like the original Slide boy for 2600 (original Slide Boy was completed in a month or so).

This version  could have probably less screens that in the 2600, because since the 7800 has not hardware collision registers, every collision have to be coded as boxcollision or coordinate check and that consume a lot more space than in the 2600.

Thanks for confirming the looping aspect...looking forward to future releases.

It will excel as a short game.  The concept is perfect for that purpose, thank you for sharing it!

• Like 1

The game looks great in real hardware! Congrats!

I agree with @-^CrossBow^- on the animation timmings. If things happen in another side, could those animations be performed while moving? Or, at least, is the time freezed during the animations?

When the PAUSE button is pressed, colors are removed from the whole screen and the timer is frozen, but you can still see the maze and solve it in your mind.

The walls have borders, but there are some places where the borders goes inside the wall, like if they were different objects and not a continuous one like in the remaining of the maze.

Oh, and I don't like the guy's rotation effect while sliding. I'd prefer a change in its expression... different when he is sliding, when he hits the wall, when quiet, when it remains a couple of seconds to hurry, etc... You are great doing that!!!

20 minutes ago, vitoco said:

The game looks great in real hardware! Congrats!

I agree with @-^CrossBow^- on the animation timmings. If things happen in another side, could those animations be performed while moving? Or, at least, is the time freezed during the animations?

When the PAUSE button is pressed, colors are removed from the whole screen and the timer is frozen, but you can still see the maze and solve it in your mind.

The walls have borders, but there are some places where the borders goes inside the wall, like if they were different objects and not a continuous one like in the remaining of the maze.

Oh, and I don't like the guy's rotation effect while sliding. I'd prefer a change in its expression... different when he is sliding, when he hits the wall, when quiet, when it remains a couple of seconds to hurry, etc... You are great doing that!!!

Hi.

The pause during gate open animation also paused the counter, so it didn't affect the time, but as I said I will remove the pause during movements,

I simply disabled pause in work version, that will affect actual hardware, but in some emulators it still will be possible to pause, so cheaters gonna cheat.

Maybe I change the spinning animation, but I will keep it simple, so no changes of expression.

I am happy with the maze walls, so probably will be not changes in that aspect.

It isn't any more difficult than the 2600 version no. If I were willing to be more patient I would die a whole lot less, but I'm trying to find the quickest method through each room and the movement mechanics are so different from the 2600 version that I'm having a hard time adjusting to it LOL!

• Like 2

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing Slide Boy in Maze Land on tomorrow's (Fri May 7, 2021) stream LIVE on Twitch at 6PM PT | 9PM ET | 1AM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Games:

(SET VIDEO TO 1080P60 FOR FULL QUALITY)

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew
  • Like 2

Normal

Well Done...

...is where I stand...for now. :D

Great fun!  For a short game this has some great polish.   Love how you once again went back on some previously designed boards and revamped them as well.  Cameos from your other games are a nice treat too...cannon included.   Looking forward to a cart purchase when the time arrives.  Thanks again for sharing this with the community.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Trebor said:

Normal

Well Done...

...is where I stand...for now. :D

Great fun!  For a short game this has some great polish.   Love how you once again went back on some previously designed boards and revamped them as well.  Cameos from your other games are a nice treat too...cannon included.   Looking forward to a cart purchase when the time arrives.  Thanks again for sharing this with the community.

1384 is the best I've done so far. Screen 25 really took me a long time to get. I had to reach out to VHZC to get assistance with that one. The others I know are possible in faster times but I just can't seem to get the timings down on this version like I could with the 2600 version. Still, I will keep trying.

• Like 1

Tried it in Argon, and it plays well and sounds great!

One feature request -- it doesn't appear to use the right fire button. Can you make it treat both right and left fire button the same? (ie, press of either right or left counts)

On 5/14/2021 at 1:51 PM, bhall408 said:

Tried it in Argon, and it plays well and sounds great!

One feature request -- it doesn't appear to use the right fire button. Can you make it treat both right and left fire button the same? (ie, press of either right or left counts)

Thanks for testing. I will enable both buttons in final version.

• Like 1