IGNORED

Detecting 32k in Extended BASIC

OLD CS1

Another post indicates that checking the value at -31952 (>8330, I believe) will indicate the absence of 32k RAM if the return is 55.

However, I have now tested this on real hardware and in Classic99 and I get 255 for 32k RAM present but that changes to a different value once a program is loaded.  Classic99 returned 55 then 29 after a program loaded (32k disabled,) while one console returns 63 with no 32k attached.

I assume there is an accepted "standard" for detecting 32k from Extended BASIC -- remembering that I can neither LOAD values into 32k space nor CALL INIT without incurring a fatal error.

I tried catching a CALL INIT error with ON ERROR, but the RETURN sends execution right back to the bad statement.

I also tried some other fancy shenanigans to no avail.

1 ON ERROR 100 :: ON BREAK NEXT
2 CALL INIT
3 PRINT "SUCCESS"
4 STOP
100 CALL ERR(A,B,C,D):: PRINT A;B;C;D :: BREAK 2 :: RETURN

Arrrr Extended BASIC... she be a harsh mistress.

• Like 2

CALL PEEK(-31860,A,B)  CALL PEEK(-31868,A,B)

Should be 255,231 with memory expansion; 0,0 if no memory

CALL INIT

CALL LOAD(-31868,0,0,0,0) turns off memory expansion as far as XB is concerned. Programs will run from VDP memory, but you can still load assembly support!

(Edit) It is -31868. You really only need to look at the first byte. If A=0 then no memory expansion.

Edited by senior_falcon
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TheBF said:

Man, where was this document in 1985? :)

Scattered around various user group newsletters.  I recall a few example programs in ours.  But it appears the only two PEEKs in the document regarding 32k detection are incorrect.

• Like 1

I think this works the way you wanted your example program to work?  

1 ON ERROR 100
2 CALL INIT
3 PRINT "SUCCESS"
4 STOP
100 CALL ERR(A,B,C,D)::PRINT A;B;C;D::RETURN NEXT

On real hardware, without 32K, this prints the 4 error numbers, then prints "SUCCESS" and stops.  With 32K, it only prints SUCCESS. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Casey said:

RETURN NEXT

Sunnuva gun!  I completely forgot about that construct.  Yes, that would work as well to set a flag for the 32k present or not (the assumption being that CALL INIT will return a * SYNTAX ERROR.)

• Like 3