IGNORED

Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance out now for Switch, PS4, Xb1

My wishes and dreams for many, many, many years have come true!!

https://www.polygon.com/22422800/baldurs-gate-dark-alliance-ps4-ps5-xbox-nintendo-switch

I've not read reviews yet, and tbh don't care.  This has been a top-12 or whatever game of ALL TIME for me for my entire gaming life since I first got it on Xbox.  Have been fidgeting around lately to get the best video out of the Xbox; you can play it on 360 but it's slightly buggy (though in 720p which is nice).  

Just an absolutely incredible dungeon crawler that is beloved to me and many others, and I'm SO happy it is out now, even though I will say $30 is a bit steep (since Star Wars Battlefront II, KOTOR, Panzer Dragoon Orta, etc were $9.99).

Can't wait to tear into this pup tomorrow!

Edit:  The Switch version has hit some sort of snag with the Switch EShop and will be delayed "several days".  So guess I will be getting the XB1 version, as patience is not one of my strengths (and I prefer my XB1 controller).

Edited by Curious Sofa
Edited to add Switch version delayed info
  • Like 1

Agreed, this was a favorite of mine on PS2 & yrs later now I recently re-acquired it from a local source- enough time had gone by that I didn't recall most of the game since I last played it.

This game led me to the Champions of Norrath ("CoNRoE") games which are my favorite PS2 games of all time- I've played thru the 1st one 5x & still have every game save. The one con I have against BG: DA is the levels/dungeons arent randomized but it's still a fantastic game to me!

Switch is rapidly becoming my 'rebuy the last 15+ years worth of stuff for' system. My and the 400gb card is well full and probably has another 400gb waiting for redownload. 

Odd that they're not packing both dark alliance games together though? Because I don't think the second one would fly well on its own later on.

I'd always wondered if the dark alliance games were in some way related to all the other games that looked the damn same back then--including rj's norrath, that fallout game, bard's tale, marvel ultimate alliances--at least some of those had to be related right? 

Edited by Reaperman

12 minutes ago, Razzie.P said:

Why not?  I've only played the first one, but I thought people felt the sequel was the better of the 2.  This not the case?

I actually can't remember how good it was (or anything about that game), and based that comment entirely on it being harder to track down, because it probably 'didn't fly well on its own later on' the first time around. I just rechecked on it's price--and I think I have to go sell something...

Maybe it's KOTOR II syndrome--I distinctly remember it being the better game, but I can't tell you a darn thing that happened in it like I can with the first one.

Edited by Reaperman

4 hours ago, Razzie.P said:

Why not?  I've only played the first one, but I thought people felt the sequel was the better of the 2.  This not the case?

My fairly distinct memory (which could be wrong of course) is that the Sequel did not match the original in terms of overall quality and engagement.

The main reason I chalked this up to was the team changing.  The original developer was Snowblind studios (who began the game as a Dreamcast game believe it or not), with some oversight by Black Isle Studios, who did the sequel..  And I'm not saying Black Isle was terrible, but just not as good IMO at keeping the battles and story engaging.

Snowblind went on to do the Champions of Norrath games solely, which to me had the feel of the original BGDA down better than BGDAII.  Snowblind then also did Justice League Heroes, which I am entertained with if not ready to fully defend.  It's basically BGDA but with superheroes, and in glorious 720p on the original Xbox (woot!).  Later Snowblind did its final game (at least as Snowblind technically), LOTR: War in the North for Xbox 360.  I liked this one too, it had a much more 3-dimensional feel than the BGDA games but kept the same quality in terms of story and building up over time..  I thought it was underrated personally, but then, I am obviously a bit obsessed with Snowblind :)

Well now that game on Gamecube was a favorite of mine to go back to every few years.  It's just so well done, pissed me off the cowards kept the sequel off the system, but left it on the other two.  It's a shame nothing was made quite like it since, and it appears it's a tease for a third person game D&D (instead of BG): Dark Alliance, maybe that'll be good -- and on switch too?