IGNORED

What game led you buy SNES at the time?

A friend of mine got the system on launch day, and after playing a bit of SMW, I went out and got my own system.

SMW was a strong selling point for me, because at that point, I had playing SMB3 through hundreds of times and needed a new Super Mario game to play. I picked up a few additional launch games, and my wife (who was a gamer) loved the purchases, so it was win-win all around.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I didn't get an SNES until 2019, but what made me want one so bad was to replay Super Mario World, since I had only ever played the remake on GBA. Then after getting that I got to explore so much more of the library, IMO one of the best software libraries of any console.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SlidellMan said:

Super Mario World was one reason why, others included The Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse and Road Runner's Death Valley Rally.

Awesome that you mention Road Runner's Death Valley Rally,  because while it may not be the game I bought the system for,  I think it was the first game I bought for the system.  I went into (the very overpriced) KayBee Toys in our mall just to see what was out there.  Road Runner caught my eye and the salesgirl kind of sold me on it.  Not realizing that their prices were insane, I paid $74.99 for it.  That really might have been one of the very last things I ever bought there, especially as EB was next door with fair prices!

• Like 1

On 9/18/2021 at 4:10 PM, GoldLeader said:

Awesome that you mention Road Runner's Death Valley Rally,  because while it may not be the game I bought the system for,  I think it was the first game I bought for the system.  I went into (the very overpriced) KayBee Toys in our mall just to see what was out there.  Road Runner caught my eye and the salesgirl kind of sold me on it.  Not realizing that their prices were insane, I paid $74.99 for it.  That really might have been one of the very last things I ever bought there, especially as EB was next door with fair prices!

Graphics aside, is the gameplay any good? It's never a game I played as a kid nor ever gave it the time of day since.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Rhomaios said:

Graphics aside, is the gameplay any good? It's never a game I played as a kid nor ever gave it the time of day since.

I had a good time with it!  But YMMV,  for the nostalgia glasses are pretty rose colored for me on this one.  At that point I had Super Mario World, and 2 football games that were thrown in with my purchase;  Got the SNES in box in Like New condition from an ad in the classifieds.   So of course I was blown away by the graphics and music being such a huge step up from NES!  It felt like I was controlling the Roadrunner in a Warner Brothers cartoon! So, I like it and will always remember it fondly,  yet I can imagine others saying it's Good but not Great.

If you don't have an EverDrive,  maybe just watch a few minutes of it on YouTube, and I bet you'll know right away if it's something you'd dig.  There's a bit of inertia (momentum) in the controls and Roadrunner doesn't stop on a dime like Mario does so it does play a bit differently,  more Sonic than Mario I guess.

I'd say watch 3 minutes or so of this to get an idea...

• Like 2

I was very late getting a SNES, Sega had won me over during the console wars era of the time and it wasn't until i got into Retro i picked up a second hand SNES for the following games:

Mr Do! 

Choplifter III

Contra III (actually found it to be rather over rated) 

Alien 3

Batman Returns

Cybernator 

Castlevania 4 

Super Metroid 

In terms of titles i felt i had been missing out on. 

Didn't go that much on Contra, Castlevania or Metroid. 

Plok and Lawnmower Man i bought just for the music. 

It was an ideal Milky Way console for myself, machine itself was like the majority of the titles i picked up, unboxed, so dead cheap. 

Went onto try F-Zero, Axelay, Starfox, Super Turrican etc. 

Got a good few months enjoyment out of the system. 

It clearly had a far superior soundchip to the MegaDrive, the increased colour range was apparent but there was never a moment i regretted going with Sega. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Lostdragon said:

I was very late getting a SNES, Sega had won me over during the console wars era of the time and it wasn't until i got into Retro i picked up a second hand SNES for the following games:

Mr Do! 

Choplifter III

Contra III (actually found it to be rather over rated) 

Alien 3

Batman Returns

Cybernator 

Castlevania 4 

Super Metroid 

In terms of titles i felt i had been missing out on. 

Didn't go that much on Contra, Castlevania or Metroid. 

Plok and Lawnmower Man i bought just for the music. 

It was an ideal Milky Way console for myself, machine itself was like the majority of the titles i picked up, unboxed, so dead cheap. 

Went onto try F-Zero, Axelay, Starfox, Super Turrican etc. 

Got a good few months enjoyment out of the system. 

It clearly had a far superior soundchip to the MegaDrive, the increased colour range was apparent but there was never a moment i regretted going with Sega. 

Pretty much sums up my experience with the SNES. Enjoyed F-Zero a lot, and tinkered a bit with the Mario games. Fun times but never regretted going with a Mega Drive bitd.

• Like 2

At the time around 93, my wife and I were still newly married and we wanted a game we could play together and we bought a SNES with Tetris Attack and I also grabbed the Williams Arcade Classics as well.

I remember also having or renting an obscure arcade platformer called Out To Lunch that I had find memories of. Kind of reminded me of Burgertime in a strange way

7 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Yeah, they should have compared Virtua Racing to Star Fox instead...

I could see that.  They both have their advantages so anyone could make a case but it would have been far more honest to put 3D vs 3D than intentionally slow little go karts in 3rd person vs flat speedy Sonic to sucker dopes in.

Super Metroid almost pushed me enough to own it.  Having Super Punch-Out!! released the same year was the 1-2 combo that hooked me.

I also picked-up Zelda - A Link to the Past at the same time. 

Along with the pack-in Super Mario World, they were the first four SNES game I owned, sometime during the Fall of '94.

• Like 2

Being 12 at the time, I remember kids trading carts for a few days at a time at school to get the most out of your system. I'm sure kids still do it, but, its fun during a systems launch when your a child because the average kid only had a couple to a few games.

Super Punch Out was one I was always borrowing, until I got a copy for myself.

• Like 2

That's a good point you've just raised @Draxxon

Trading/borrowing cart games was definitely a huge part of the gaming hobby when I was growing up.  It would take months to save up for a new game, and I remember even avoiding renting games because I would rather put that money towards buying a game later.  Trading/borrowing games was "free" so it was a great way to try out other games.

I completely stopped trading/borrowing games once I got a PSX, mostly because I was old enough at that point where I had a job and could just buy any game I wanted.  I think I wouldn't have been much inclined to trade/borrow anyway, for fear of the disc getting scratched up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, newtmonkey said:

That's a good point you've just raised @Draxxon

Trading/borrowing cart games was definitely a huge part of the gaming hobby when I was growing up.  It would take months to save up for a new game, and I remember even avoiding renting games because I would rather put that money towards buying a game later.  Trading/borrowing games was "free" so it was a great way to try out other games.

I completely stopped trading/borrowing games once I got a PSX, mostly because I was old enough at that point where I had a job and could just buy any game I wanted.  I think I wouldn't have been much inclined to trade/borrow anyway, for fear of the disc getting scratched up.

Friends scratching discs were a real nuisance. Not only games, but movies, too, once you get into the DVD era. Then once you visit them, you  realize why: their whole family is content to use DVDs as coasters!

I also like how we as children were just casually trading $30, $40, $50 carts like it was no big deal. That didn't go on too much, though. We mostly just hung out at the house of whoever had the latest game (especially once we got to the SFII and MK era). Plus, with Blockbuster you could always just rent a game for yourself.

• Like 2

ah PSX, I too was older but we still didn't have lots of money. Someone had a system, someone had an extra pad and a memory card, and someone had Mortal Kombat 3, Street Fighter the Movie and Battle Arena Toshinden.

After school we would all get together and play.

Edited by Draxxon
  • Like 1

I was just a kid at the time so my parents where the ones that had to buy it. 

Growing up in a small town, not much money I had to wait on a special day to get the SNES.

My Birthday.

I don't remember the exact year I got the system, but my older cousins had been playing the NES and Sega Genesis around me most of my life. Whenever everyone heard that there was a SUPER NINTENDO coming out well it was obvious that I wanted a system and the system was going to the the SNES, I had no other systems prior to this.

Most people who got the Super Nintendo got the edition where it came with Super Mario world and another controller at least. Mine seemed to have been bought completely separate or probably even 2nd hand from someone else I'm not sure. I had no games to play with the console, but was given the option to hit up Wal-Mart to go get 1 game I wanted, any game that I wanted. Fortunately for me I was a HUGE Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles fan, and had played some of them on the NES or at least saw the Arcade Game or family members playing them. I picked up Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles in Time as my very first game ever. What a solid pick I must say so myself.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I guess I would have to attribute it to Contra III: The Alien Wars, not that this was typically my kind of game but a friend and I rented the console and some games and I remember having fun teaming up but more so I was absolutely wowed by the massive huge sprite bosses. Of course, I knew of other great games before and after but I think that one made me think how "powerful" the console was whether or not that was a accurate assessment. ?‍♂️

1629328194_ContraIIIshot01.png.7a3bc6291927a36288b54d3fa491fc10.png

• Like 3