IGNORED

What game led you buy SNES at the time?

@GoldLeader @Bloodreign  Yeah the list is fantastic, and yes it stops at 5.  Once he got down to the last 25 games he has been releasing one new mini review/thoughts on the game every day except once when life stopped and kind of did 2 in a row.

It really was a fun passion project that has gone on for years now and finally coming to an end.  Reading you'll find some stuff was years in the making with playing, remembering plays, going back.  Lots there to suck up.

• Like 1

Man . . . I know that the Mario franchise is full of quality, but it is hard to read such effusive and personal commentary about them.  Stop jerking off Mario because now I have to look away . . .

Anyway, he's up to #2 which means Link to the Past is #1

• Like 1

I just wish his "Search" function worked.   Kind of curious what he thinks of Breath of Fire.

It is definitely "His List" and I fully respect that...So sports games are way too high and Mr. Do! is at #279.....?????!

If anything a list like this shows me that I have barely played Super Nintendo in my life, I guess...I had it in college and had lots of games (Or a "Multi Game Hunter" at least), but with classes, a girlfriend, and being in a couple of bands,  I was a busy dude.

At any rate,  I'd sometimes get really into certain games (mostly things that hooked me later in life), so some games like Jaki Crush (I know,  He's not doing Super Famicom games), Mr. Do!*, and Breath of Fire would rank much higher for me than for most people...

*Mr.  Do! for me, was like ColecoVision all over again.  I got really into it, before later figuring out that it (Well, the AI, I mean) wasn't as random as it was in MAME, ...MAME's version itself not being as random as the actual Arcade game (Which is still the Best IMHO).

• Like 1

Very interesting reading. He is apparently partial to meticulous stat/option heavy strategy games, which PC handles better IMO.

I searched for my favourite games and a few of them were (obviously) too low on that list.

The biggest thing that puzzled me was Prince of Persia way back in #208.

The SNES has the best, most cinematic, atmospheric and biggest version of the game, easily in the top 20 for me.

And "really, really, really, really hard"? Once you get a feel for the controls, it's a joy to play because it's so different from other games.

Just played through it a couple of months back and it hadn't lost its shine.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Wayler said:

Very interesting reading. He is apparently partial to meticulous stat/option heavy strategy games, which PC handles better IMO.

I searched for my favourite games and a few of them were (obviously) too low on that list.

The biggest thing that puzzled me was Prince of Persia way back in #208.

The SNES has the best, most cinematic, atmospheric and biggest version of the game, easily in the top 20 for me.

And "really, really, really, really hard"? Once you get a feel for the controls, it's a joy to play because it's so different from other games.

Just played through it a couple of months back and it hadn't lost its shine.

I definitely played Prince of Persia BITD.  I liked it, but I didn't get very far.  I found it really, really, really hard.   (But not really, really, really, really hard,)...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, GoldLeader said:

I definitely played Prince of Persia BITD.  I liked it, but I didn't get very far.  I found it really, really, really hard.   (But not really, really, really, really hard,)...

I really, really tried and searched and looked but couldn't decipher BITD. I would really, really, really like to hear an explanation. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Wayler said:

I really, really tried and searched and looked but couldn't decipher BITD. I would really, really, really like to hear an explanation. 

Oh,  Sorry,  and this, coming from one who really, really, really hates acronyms...BITD=Back In The Day.   Meaning I had it back when it came out, not something lately...  :)

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, GoldLeader said:

Oh,  Sorry,  and this, coming from one who really, really, really hates acronyms...BITD=Back In The Day.   Meaning I had it back when it came out, not something lately...  :)

Oh man, and here I was racking my brain thinking, what version does he mean? There's no title in the series with those letters. Is it some obscure computer version because PoP was ported everywhere? Tbh, Idk if I should lol or begin smh. 

• Haha 1

Prince of Persia is fantastic, I've preferred the DOS version and the GBC port for on the go back in the day.  The thing is that game really really is that hard, quite hard.  There are some things you have to memorize for not an insta-kill, but also the almost slight delay in response vs reaction(your presses) because of the rotoscoped motion of the player has an odd internia and flow to it, it's strange.  Throw all that in with the fact you have a 60min clock, die just a few times, and it's a wasted effort other than to never see the end but inch a little further to start over again because of that clock...persistent over game clock, not per stage like most games then did.  The SNES version was one of the prettiest looking and really nice on the ears, but, that's about it.  I've finished it a couple times, 20 years ago plus, but I wouldn't bother now.  I'd rather spend $5 on a cart and just tinker until I move on as it's a hurdle, a big hurdle and more than one to its enjoyment.

• Like 1

On 10/11/2022 at 2:25 PM, GoldLeader said:

IIRC, there were a handful of acronyms BITD that were so common that they needed a shorthand, which, IMO, were necessary to keep the conversation moving. I don't really care for how everything became an acronym, though. I even prefer to say e.g. Super Nintendo instead of SNES. Or at best Super NES. Acronymization is pretty much overkill now, especially since folks turned against capital letters: funny af just looks like a typo.

Anyway, I'll BBIAB. /me is afk.

Edited by Rhomaios
  • Like 1

My first taste of the Prince was also on PC DOS and growing with my hands around a controller, I hate-hate-hated to use the keyboard for action games, it was so frustrating. But the SNES version fixes that problem. And I think the controls are super precise while also being floaty, it's a weird combination. The floaty part comes from the realism factor where the Prince just doesn't start or stop but his movement has weight and inertia. And the precision is in the fact that you know exactly the distance of every move the Prince makes down to a pixel. And so the movement feels at times like a chess match where you are thinking 4-5 moves ahead. There's a steep learning curve to be had for sure but I found the movement system so enjoyable past that barrier. And after that, every death and wrong move feels like you screwed up and not because the game cheated. 

And then the SNES throws in 20 levels in varied locations, extra boss fights, great graphics and sound, 120min clock and password-system to keep things fair and even a training course to hone those controls. 

Oh man, I excited myself too much now, I'll have to take a trip to ancient Persia again. 

Edited by Wayler
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Rhomaios said:

IIRC, there were a handful of acronyms BITD that were so common that they needed a shorthand, which, IMO, were necessary to keep the conversation moving. I don't really care for how everything became an acronym, though. I even prefer to say e.g. Super Nintendo instead of SNES. Or at best Super NES. Acronymization is pretty much overkill now, especially since folks turned against capital letters: funny af just looks like a typo.

Anyway, I'll BBIAB. /me is afk.

Hah! OK I had to look up BBIAB and AFK LOL...

Myself,  I always say "Super Nintendo" ...But will write SNES sometimes...I never say "Snezz" because it sounds so retarded,  But up above I did Only as a joke...That part made me laugh more because I never say it that way ;)

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, GoldLeader said:

Hah! OK I had to look up BBIAB and AFK LOL...

Myself,  I always say "Super Nintendo" ...But will write SNES sometimes...I never say "Snezz" because it sounds so retarded,  But up above I did Only as a joke...That part made me laugh more because I never say it that way ;)

"Snezz" just sounds terrible, like a pathetic half-sneeze. BBIAB and AFK were much more common in the IRC days, although it did bleed over a bit into early chat lingo. Can't say I've seen either in a long time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nails on a chalkboard.  I'm really curious what dim bulb started that horrible oral mutilation of saying SNES/Super Nintendo as it's so utterly grating just painful on the ears.  Add in also the toolboxes who say SNES with a lingering S like they're the snake king.  You go back through even old Nintendo rep stuff, videos, they said Ess N E S or Super Nintendo, or  Super NES... NO Snesss or Snezz.  Maybe it's some regional thing like how some painfully slow north easterners call Mario (Mah-ri-o) as Mare-E-O.  Dude ain't a fucking horse, and his name isn't spelled Maireo either.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

I first saw/played an SNES at my neighbor Bill's house in early 1992; Super Mario World, which was the only game he had at the time. I was impressed with the graphics, but it wasn't enough to make me run out and buy an SNES. Not long after that I rented Super Castlevania IV and played it at Bill's house. I thought that was an awesome game but I still didn't buy an SNES.

Around the same time I discovered Street Fighter II in the "Action Family Arcade" located in the same plaza where I worked and got hooked on it pretty quickly. There was hardly ever anyone there (it was just a room in the back of a LaVerdiere's drug store), so I started going to Space Port in the Bangor Mall to find people to play against, and that's when someone mentioned to me that SFII was coming out for the SNES soon. That's when I made up my mind to buy one.

I still remember driving to the Bangor Toys R Us after work to buy one. For some reason I was wicked drowsy and had trouble staying awake while driving.

I bought the most basic set; only one controller, no pack-in game, no A/V cables (it just had the RF adapter), for $99.99. When I got home I borrowed SMW from Bill and waited for SFII to be released. When I finally got the game I was amazed. It was the first time I wasn't disappointed with an arcade-to-console port. Gameplay was practically identical to the arcade version, so I was automatically just as good at it as I was the arcade version, and the graphics and sounds were pretty close.

The next thing I bought was another controller (an official Nintendo one, which meant another trip to Toys R Us), because SFII is most fun when playing against someone else, and the only other game I ever bought for it back then was Chessmaster.

• Like 2

On 10/2/2022 at 6:05 PM, Tanooki said:

@Bloodreign  I know the guy who has been documenting this thing since it started, been at it I think 5 years now and sits over on VGS.  It has quite a bit of good notes, some good info, personal stories a bit, and some odd opinions at times, but this page has a ranking of every single US SNES title that had been released (not including the exercise bike junk and 2in1 carts outside of SMAS+DrMario&Tetris which are.)

He's down to like the last under 10 games left to go and pops up a new one daily.  Check out the SNES Rankings it's worth it, maybe you'll find a reason to look into a game or not.

http://www.snesrankings.com/

I was about to complain that I hadn't seen Parodius: Non-Sense Fantasy on his list, even after scrolling backwards through the first top 100 games, which would totally and utterly crazy for what I consider one of the best shumps on the SNES and probably a Top 20 or so SNES game imo, but then I checked and realised it didn't even come out in the US. What a genuinely great shmup and a really big mess-up for US gamers not to get it (same with the sequels too).

A very nice list there.

Edited by Kirk_Johnston

@Kirk_Johnston Yeah totally I agree.  I asked him and the JP library is so utterly huge, a good chunk not localized would need translation or frame of reference it would be a killer... probably take 10+ years at the pace that stuff rolled out easily to get it done so it won't.  PAL if anything with what they got we did not that would have a sliver of a chance.  There you'd see Parodius (PALCOM did it) along with Twinbee, also Terranigma, and some others.

Personally I have 27 SFC carts behind me on the shelf, so I get what you mean about Parodius seeing that I have all 3 of them. :)  If you're curious skim, totally could recommend any of these as playable as is without translation.

- Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon
- Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon R
- Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon S: Jougai Rantou! Shuyaku Soudatsusen
- Caravan Shooting Collection
- Chou Genjin
- Chou Genjin 2
- Choujikuu Yousai Macross: Scrambled Valkyrie
- Cotton 100% Marchen Adventure
- Dragon Ball Z: Super Butouden 2
- Ganbare Goemon 2: Kiteretsu Shougun Magginesu
- Gojira: Kaijuu Daikessen
- Gokujou Parodius
- Hokuto no Ken 6 - Gekitou Denshouken Haou e no Michi
- Jikkyou Oshaberi Parodius
- Kishin Douji Zenki - Battle Raiden
- Kunio-kun no Dodge Ball Da yo Zenin Shuugou!
- Lupin Sansei: Densetsu no Hihou o Oe!
- Mario no Super Picross
- Mickey to Donald Magical Adventure 3
- Neko Tako (SFC-CIB)
- Parodius Da! Shinwa kara Owarai e
- Pop'n TwinBee
- Ranma 1/2: Chougi Ranbu Hen
- Rockman & Forte
- Shin Kidou Senki Gundam W: Endless Duel
- Super Bomberman 5
- TwinBee: Rainbow Bell Adventure

• Like 1

57 of my 200 SNES games are Japanese import games and I'd add Goemon 3 and 4 to that list, especially 4 for how varied and wacky the levels are, and how really good the game is. The boss battles aren't even traditional boss battles, but are minigames, similar to the boss battles in the Wagyan Land games, or Marvel Land.

• Like 2

On 12/4/2022 at 1:31 AM, Tanooki said:

@Kirk_Johnston Yeah totally I agree.  I asked him and the JP library is so utterly huge, a good chunk not localized would need translation or frame of reference it would be a killer... probably take 10+ years at the pace that stuff rolled out easily to get it done so it won't.  PAL if anything with what they got we did not that would have a sliver of a chance.  There you'd see Parodius (PALCOM did it) along with Twinbee, also Terranigma, and some others.

Personally I have 27 SFC carts behind me on the shelf, so I get what you mean about Parodius seeing that I have all 3 of them. :)  If you're curious skim, totally could recommend any of these as playable as is without translation.

- Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon
- Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon R
- Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon S: Jougai Rantou! Shuyaku Soudatsusen
- Caravan Shooting Collection
- Chou Genjin
- Chou Genjin 2
- Choujikuu Yousai Macross: Scrambled Valkyrie
- Cotton 100% Marchen Adventure
- Dragon Ball Z: Super Butouden 2
- Ganbare Goemon 2: Kiteretsu Shougun Magginesu
- Gojira: Kaijuu Daikessen
- Gokujou Parodius
- Hokuto no Ken 6 - Gekitou Denshouken Haou e no Michi
- Jikkyou Oshaberi Parodius
- Kishin Douji Zenki - Battle Raiden
- Kunio-kun no Dodge Ball Da yo Zenin Shuugou!
- Lupin Sansei: Densetsu no Hihou o Oe!
- Mario no Super Picross
- Mickey to Donald Magical Adventure 3
- Neko Tako (SFC-CIB)
- Parodius Da! Shinwa kara Owarai e
- Pop'n TwinBee
- Ranma 1/2: Chougi Ranbu Hen
- Rockman & Forte
- Shin Kidou Senki Gundam W: Endless Duel
- Super Bomberman 5
- TwinBee: Rainbow Bell Adventure

Yeah, some great examples there. I've tried a few of them, but others I've not seen before.

• Thanks 1