IGNORED

Anyone still making use of their Steel Battalion Controller, not necessarily on the Xbox but for PC gaming or Emulation?

After a couple years I dusted off my controller, hooked it to my Xbox and was rusty as all, but then again I've never been that good at it. I knew years ago there were ways to get it to work on Windows but never really did anything with it that way. Since I've been on a "playing old games in new ways" kick though decided to try some experiments.

There are now a couple different options for getting it to work on Windows 10, a driver someone made that has incomplete functionality is the easiest: https://github.com/caosdoar/SteelBattalionDriver

but the steel-battalion-64 package another put together has; after some fiddling with vJoy and .cs scripts, customization and full controller use: https://sourceforge.net/projects/steel-batallion-64/files/

Wondering if anyone else is still using theirs and if for more than just its two Xbox games? Also if so what or if not but the above inspired what other ways to use it come to mind?

• Like 2

I haven't "unshelved" mine in years but I can't imagine ever getting rid of it. At some point I will do like you did and dust off SB and give it another play through. That game is timeless because it is truly a simulator for something that just doesn't exist yet. But it checks all the proper boxes for a good sim and the graphics are as good as they need to be, if you look at top sims for military/airlines the graphics aren't at all cutting edge yet they are very effective in training. Being used to sims SB is sort of a natural for me.

My hope is that some fan will build in unofficial support for the SB controller in a future PS5 Titanfall release or something similar.

16 hours ago, Pipercub said:

I haven't "unshelved" mine in years but I can't imagine ever getting rid of it. At some point I will do like you did and dust off SB and give it another play through. That game is timeless because it is truly a simulator for something that just doesn't exist yet. But it checks all the proper boxes for a good sim and the graphics are as good as they need to be, if you look at top sims for military/airlines the graphics aren't at all cutting edge yet they are very effective in training. Being used to sims SB is sort of a natural for me.

My hope is that some fan will build in unofficial support for the SB controller in a future PS5 Titanfall release or something similar.

Since Titanfall 2 was also released on the PC you could use your controller with it now.

This is way outside my knowledge and abilities and I strongly suspect lag would become an issue but I guess someone with enough programming skill could make an interface that takes the vJoy signals/output and have it convert/send to whatever the PS5 uses? Since DS4Windows exists and Steam I read has DualSense support (I don't own a DualSense myself so can't test) maybe somehow the reverse (Windows based input to PS5) is also possible?

• 6 months later...

Just wanted to post that I made an adapter for the Steel Battalion Controller allowing it to emulate a standard XInput device when plugged into windows.  It's super easy to build requiring only 5 solder joints and I wrote extensive instructions as well.

https://hackaday.io/project/182810-steel-battalion-controller-teensy-adapter

• Like 2