IGNORED

New Horror game for vic 20

It's not as great as Jeff's offerings or even infocom but it's still my own work and i'm proud of making something.

First releases are always buggy, this is no exception I am a beginner still, i accept that. Enjoy

For those tape users, load "Insanity",8

for Disk: "Insanity",8,1

i apologize for any errors when playing.

Insanity.d64 insanity.tap

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, evg2000 said:

haven’t had a chance to DL.  Does it require memory expansion? d64 seems kind of big

D64 is an image of the entire floppy disk in which data might be saved on, so it doesn’t reflect the size of the actual file(s) that is/are saved on the disk. Not having tried the game myself either, I have no clue how much RAM it might need.

I viewed the d64 image using an online viewer because I can’t be bothered to use my PC at this moment, and the disk seems to be... empty. Odd. 

The 24 byte file size for the .tap file is also very odd... Unless the OP made a mistake while saving the file. 

Edited by bluejay
  • Thanks 1

@Frozone212

Are you a troll?  Your files are empty, you sound just like the guy @carlsson mentioned above (even your username is similar... Halycon275 and Frozone212, and your previous posts talk about remaking NES Total Recall without any programming experience or knowledge whatsoever.  How did you go from no programming experience at all to writing a "text adventure" (i.e. blank files) for the VIC 20?

Edited by newtmonkey

1 hour ago, IntelliMission said:

Frozone212 was banned, so the only question at this point is... Is it possible to commit the same mistake twice? Is this guy deliberately lying to be popular? Or is he really trying, and failing, to save its code?

He was banned? What he did, regardless on whether it was an innocent mistake or a deliberate attempt at gathering attention doesn't seem to be enough reason to get banned.

That being said, it is clear that the guy has very minimal programming skills (not that I'm much better; but that isn't the point). Perhaps it would be a good idea for him to read through the Commodore 128 or TRS-80 Extended Color BASIC manual or something...

I am trying to get better as a programmer. I realize that it sucks as a game but i haven't had time to fix it (new AC has been installed and my PC is off for repair). I will fix it when I get my PC back. Please don't count me out just yet. I can't make any promises but i will improve. If i have to read until my eyes fall out, that's what i'll do. Just know that i am sorry for the poor work i did and that i don't care for it. it was a poor attempt to make a game, i have very little experience and am ashamed that i posted it. I will start from scratch soon. thank you

Spoiler

Carlson, i genuinely thought the game was complete. Either Winvice doesn't save the code properly or i'm not saving using the right format. Most games are d64 correct? So why did it not come up complete? It's not like the code is self modifying. Either Pac man is eating my lines of code (unlikely) or something else is causing these files to be empty. Could be an emulation error or maybe the way i'm saving the file (i use ,8,1 for the vic and 64 or ,8 for tape, maybe that's why?)

Edited by Frozone212
i didn't rtfm

@newtmonkey

1: Remaking Total Recall won't happen. Not until I know the architecture and system inside and out, that could take years and years. more if i decide to code in assembly. Keyword is IF, i'd rather code it in python using an IDE to make the graphics and sound.

to recap:

I do NOT know 6502 that well

I DO know python to an extent

2: I didn't know the vic 20 files were blank at the time. Even now it's a surprise to me. I don't have a way to check other than running the game and that's not always concrete. It might run perfect and still end up blank. 

• Like 1

@Frozone212 SAVE "filename",8,1 doesn't work. As far as I know the ,1 at the end of it is used during loading to have the program loaded to whatever memory address it was originally saved in, and I have no idea what it does if you try to use it while saving. I'm pretty sure carlsson can provide you with a better explanation regarding exactly what happens when you SAVE,8,1.

To save to tape, you must SAVE "filename" or SAVE "filename",1, as the tape drive is device#1.

To save to disk, you must SAVE "filename",8, as disk drive 1 is device#8.

Like I mentioned before, it might be a good idea for you to acquire a physical or pdf copy of any user's manual for a Commodore computer. It explains everything you need to know to operate the computers and program in BASIC in a very friendly manner. I would recommend the VIC-20 manual for the basics (no pun intended) and especially so if you want something very friendly. If you would prefer something more "to the point", the C128 manual is quite thorough and full of information while written in a very factual tone. However, keep in mind that a there are a number of non-essential (but useful) commands used in the C128's BASIC 7.0 that are exclusive to the computer. They will only work on a Commodore 128.

Edited by bluejay

In principle I think SAVE ,8,1 would save the program to the address it is located, but that is complicated by the fact that SAVE in the first place uses BASIC pointers to tell which memory area to save. Basically the secondary argument might be ignored.

The question though is if you properly mounted a D64 image before saving, and made sure it wasn't write protected. In the later case, the emulator might silently fail saving the file, perhaps indicate with the small emulated drive light in the bottom right corner. In theory the same goes about tape images.

This also would be a prime case for promoting cross development. If you had written your BASIC (or assembly language) program in a regular text editor, saved the file and ran a tool chain like petcat to tokenize it and perhaps c1541 to put the resulting PRG onto a D64 image (or a GUI program like D64Editor), you would still have your sources for editing. You could also use an IDE like the CBM Prg Studio which integrates the text editor with tokenizer/assembler/compiler and possibly also invokes the emulator.

If you did all the coding work inside the emulator which then failed to save your work, I'm afraid it is lost regardless if your program was 10 or 1000 lines. Many newbies imagine that cross development is an advanced art and that it would be easier to get going by working natively on real hardware or emulator, while to most part it is a matter of setting up some tools and then have a decent amount of backup. In particular the IDE solution should be user friendly enough if you invest an hour into setting it up and learning how to use it.

• Like 2