IGNORED

Tiny Arcade Collection

• 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...
2 hours ago, Leonard Smith said:

I have a few of these, but I stopped buying them when I saw how bad the Pole Position and TMNT ran.

That is a totally fair assessment!

The game quality was great for a while, and then they just started making them for looks only.

I'm glad they stopped making them because of that.?

Bought most all of them, but skipped the Hello Kitty and Ms. Pac/Galaga cabs. There's also a few other "boardwalk" games in the series that I didn't bother with, but one was a TMNT pinball that looked pretty neat. Didn't know they were officially done producing these, but I guess it's been a while since the last release.

13 hours ago, sirlynxalot said:

I got a space invaders one recently as a gift but it doesn't seem to have a game on it, it just displays a screen and plays a sound effect when I press the button. Did these used to have the actual emulated roms on them?

If it's of the series we're talking about here (Tiny Arcade), there's a whole game waiting to be played. Sounds like maybe yours is stuck in demo mode. There's a little slip of plastic that needs to be removed from the battery compartment to enable full play.

2 hours ago, save2600 said:

If it's of the series we're talking about here (Tiny Arcade), there's a whole game waiting to be played. Sounds like maybe yours is stuck in demo mode. There's a little slip of plastic that needs to be removed from the battery compartment to enable full play.

Are these keychains? My Space Invaders looks like these but it is a keychain. I threw out the packaging so don't remember if it was "Tiny Arcade" brand, but the blister pack looked like these. The bottom of the keychain cab says Taito on it.  In any case, I opened the battery compartment and didn't see anything to remove. I also don't think the screen is an lcd, maybe a sticker or something where a little light illuminates it from the back.  Sounds pretty different, pretty sure there is no game on here. :(

Edited by sirlynxalot

20 minutes ago, sirlynxalot said:

Are these keychains? My Space Invaders looks like these but it is a keychain. I threw out the packaging so don't remember if it was "Tiny Arcade" brand, but the blister pack looked like these. The bottom of the keychain cab says Taito on it.  In any case, I opened the battery compartment and didn't see anything to remove. I also don't think the screen is an lcd, maybe a sticker or something where a little light illuminates it from the back.  Sounds pretty different, pretty sure there is no game on here. :(

Yeah, the Tiny Arcade series all have keychains. 

Not sure what you might have. Maybe upload a pic... could just be an ornament of some kind. The ornaments just make sounds and show a backlit static pic of the screen as you're describing, but not sure I remember seeing a Space Invaders version - from Hallmark anyway.

Here are some pictures of my unit. It doesnt say Hallmark on it anywhere and seems to be a keychain rather than a Christmas ornament. The illuminated picture of the game is the same image that comes up when I press the buttons each time. It's not animated.

PXL_20220617_152545425.jpg

PXL_20220617_152553085.jpg

PXL_20220617_152708022.jpg

PXL_20220617_152806647.jpg

Edited by sirlynxalot
  • Sad 1

I've been reading this review of the playable tiny arcades and my unit is clearly different

https://www.rcgeeks.co.uk/blogs/news/tiny-arcade-hands-on-review

My unit seems to be much smaller than these, the tiny arcades take 3 aaa batteries, whereas my cab is waaaay too small for that, its about the size of 1 C cell battery.  I've also noticed that the joystick nub on mine doesn't bump out like a mushroom, its just a cylinder, whereas the playable ones have the mushroom style.  The case design seems pretty similar though, I bet mine is derived from the tiny arcades.

1 hour ago, sirlynxalot said:

I've been reading this review of the playable tiny arcades and my unit is clearly different

https://www.rcgeeks.co.uk/blogs/news/tiny-arcade-hands-on-review

My unit seems to be much smaller than these, the tiny arcades take 3 aaa batteries, whereas my cab is waaaay too small for that, its about the size of 1 C cell battery.  I've also noticed that the joystick nub on mine doesn't bump out like a mushroom, its just a cylinder, whereas the playable ones have the mushroom style.  The case design seems pretty similar though, I bet mine is derived from the tiny arcades.

Not familiar with the model you have, though it's still a Super Impulse product. Must just be a desk ornament then, as 3 coin cell batteries are what's used in the Hallmark ornaments too.