IGNORED

Steam coming to the Atari OS?

Tidus79001

https://www.makeuseof.com/valve-gabe-newell-suggests-steam-on-console

I suspect that Steam is part of Atari's unannounced news that has been alluded to several times on the Atari VCS Founders Discord channel times by the Atari moderators who are telling us that there will be some big news revealed after the console has officially launched.  When Steam CEO, Gabe Newell replies "You'll have a better idea of that by the end of the year." to the question "Will Steam be coming to console or staying on PC?" I can only think this must mean the Atari VCS.  

Atari announced a partnership with Ultra last Sept, but we have seen nothing of that so it is not a new announcement, but more of unfulfilled partnership.  We have already seen Atari add a couple gaming services to the VCS so why would Atari not also add Steam.  It seems Atari's strategy is more partnerships & services than making their own content and Steam has a huge library (new, old and indie) so this would fit that model.  Personally I would rather have Steam than Ultra.

- Barring additional delays it is the only new console that is launching this year that would be capable of running Steam what else is launching this year that would be a platform that could easy integrate Steam since by design the Atari VCS has standard PC components and runs Linux so that would make it easier to implement adding Steam and getting games to run that are in the Steam library than it would be with closed platforms with highly customized hardware & software such as the PlayStation, XBOX or Switch.
- Why would Sony, Microsoft or even Nintendo be interested in Steam on their consoles as they have plenty of content and adding a third party game store like Steam would essentially take the cut of the sale from them since their ecosystem is profit from their own stores.
- Amico which might release this year is ARM based, PS5, XBOX Series X/S and Switch have already launched and also are closed platforms in term of architecture OS.  Atari has the only console with standard PC architecture.
- Steam in the past few years has made moves to make the platform it own service by creation of the Steam OS and introduction of Steam Machines that promote Linux as a viable alternative Windows.  Steam also wants to reach gamers who sit on the sofa as opposed PC gaming.  Unfortunately Steam Machines didn't sell well as generic devices.   The Atari VCS would give Steam a dedicated platform that opens a direct market to console gamers on a device from a company that is long established with console gaming and who is now selling a device that promotes Linux as a viable platform for gaming.
- It is a logical and beneficial pairing for Atari since it gives VCS the steady stream of content that it needs.

To me such an arrangement of adding Steam to Atari VCS OS would be a huge win for the traditional console gamers, since it in effect opens up PC exclusive titles to those gamers who miss out on a such titles since they cannot easily play them from the comfort of their sofas in front of their HD TV.

The Atari VCS trolls will still knock the console and say that this just makes Atari VCS a Steam Machine and offers no value as video game console should Steam be added a service to the Atari OS. What they don't want to acknowledge is that there are many console gamers who aren't playing games that are on the PC since many of them have no desire to go through the hassle to to setting up a PC or some number of those gamers who are not technically proficient enough to do that or even those would find PC mode to be a challenge to get up & running on the Atari VCS.  Overall Steam running as its own service on the Atari VCS OS would be much less clunky & confusing for those type of gamers.  The Atari VCS can with Steam can make those games easily accessible to those type of gamers and open a market to publishers of a whole new audience they have no direct access access to on traditional video game consoles.

Edited by Tidus79001
  • Like 4

Even if they just release a Steam Link app on the VCS, this will still be a big deal for PC gamers who want to stream their games on a living room TV w/o having to use a full Ubuntu distro.

Till then there's a thing called Rainway which can stream PC games to any Chrome browser...

If they did do this, they would almost have to replace the AtariOS Store with it, though, right? I mean, otherwise you'd be able to buy the same game in multiple places at multiple price points? 

I never joined the I love Steam bandwagon, although as a gamer I've been essentially forced to use it for more than a decade. Would certainly add a lot of games to the console. :)

2 hours ago, Rick Dangerous said:

That would be huge!  I would love to run it straight from the OS rather than booting into Windows. 

Keep in mind that it would be limited to Steam Linux games and the Windows games that work with Proton.    That is a fairly sizable library, but there will still likely be some games you would need to boot into Windows for.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mockduck said:

If they did do this, they would almost have to replace the AtariOS Store with it, though, right? I mean, otherwise you'd be able to buy the same game in multiple places at multiple price points? 

I never joined the I love Steam bandwagon, although as a gamer I've been essentially forced to use it for more than a decade. Would certainly add a lot of games to the console. :)

I don't think they would.  This would just give them a steady steam of mainstream content (new and back catalog titles).  As for the Atari OS store they should focus that on first party exclusive and HD 2D retro indie titles and other services that a consumer wants to add to their Atari VCS.

Sorry, but that article is just garbage clickbait. "Either way, this is all just conjecture and we won't know what Gabe has in mind until the end of the year, as he says" is about the only part that isn't wild speculation. The author doesn't even seem to know that you already can install the Steam client on the VCS, via Windows or a compatible Linux distro, or that SteamOS is effectively dead.

As for other consoles in development or recently on the market that can run the Steam client there are several, most notably the handheld ones like the GPD Win 3, OneX Player and Aya Neo which all ship with Windows so will trivially support it. If KFC ever bring that April Fool Joke console to the market that'll presumably run Steam too because it's just a NUC in a fancy case. There's also seemingly a new Chinese console out every week and some of them run Linux or Windows. Even if we make the unjustified assumption that the Steam Client is headed to a new console, I see no reason to leap towards the conclusion that it'd be the VCS.

Still, let's just say that Steam did come to the AtariOS desktop. What do you think would happen? Steam is only very lightly curated and there are no checks performed when you purchase or install a game as to whether your system meets the recommended requirements. Your average PC gamer has at least the bare minimum amount of technical knowledge to appreciate this, as well as try out the game early and get a refund if it doesn't work on their hardware. Let thousands of people loose on this who have only ever experienced console stores, where every game has gone through rigorous QA and warnings are flashed up if there's not enough space, and you could be looking at absolute carnage. Almost all the popular AAA games that are featured on Steam won't run very well on it either; most of them won't even fit on it unless you expand the storage. You'd need to dig a bit deeper to find indie games and older AAA ones.

That's not to say that the VCS couldn't benefit greatly from a curated storefront offering the best games that it's capable of running. It's just that Valve are one of the least likely candidates to offer that when it's something that they've steadfastly avoided for the past couple of decades.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Matt_B said:

Still, let's just say that Steam did come to the AtariOS desktop. What do you think would happen? Steam is only very lightly curated and there are no checks performed when you purchase or install a game as to whether your system meets the recommended requirements. Your average PC gamer has at least the bare minimum amount of technical knowledge to appreciate this, as well as try out the game early and get a refund if it doesn't work on their hardware. Let thousands of people loose on this who have only ever experienced console stores, where every game has gone through rigorous QA and warnings are flashed up if there's not enough space, and you could be looking at absolute carnage. Almost all the popular AAA games that are featured on Steam won't run very well on it either; most of them won't even fit on it unless you expand the storage. You'd need to dig a bit deeper to find indie games and older AAA ones.

I guess it depends on who's buying the VCS?   Complete newbs or seasoned users?   Seems like it mostly appeals to the latter, but I could be wrong

8 hours ago, zzip said:

I guess it depends on who's buying the VCS?   Complete newbs or seasoned users?   Seems like it mostly appeals to the latter, but I could be wrong

Tell that one to Tidus. At least he's the one who seems to think that there's a veritable army of tech-shy people who'd leap at running Steam if only it were available on AtariOS.

I'd suspect that seasoned users are already quite capable of adding an SSD, extra RAM, installing Windows (or Ubuntu LTS if they hate Microsoft) and getting access to Steam that way. Well, either that or they've already got a better computer already set up for it.

On 5/21/2021 at 6:03 PM, Matt_B said:

Tell that one to Tidus. At least he's the one who seems to think that there's a veritable army of tech-shy people who'd leap at running Steam if only it were available on AtariOS.

I'd suspect that seasoned users are already quite capable of adding an SSD, extra RAM, installing Windows (or Ubuntu LTS if they hate Microsoft) and getting access to Steam that way. Well, either that or they've already got a better computer already set up for it.

Yeah it seems like most of the people interested in it are tech savvy enough to at least follow someone else's directions to get a second OS + Steam installed.

Steam boxes were a thing, and they didn't exactly set the world on fire.  So I don't see Atari succeeding with a concept that Valve couldn't make work.   That said,  there might be a some number of people for whom a pre-installed Steam is a deal maker/breaker.

I mostly see this appealing to 1) old Atari fans who probably already have another computer/console, 2) A Christmas gift for the gen-Xer dad who already has evreything or 3) a Minecraft-capable computer for the kids so they stop using my PC!

• Haha 1

I'd be happy to see Steam on the VCS, natively, but I do see challenges with that.
- I already have Steam on my VCS, under Windows 10, and with an Ubuntu install.
  (Well, I hate Steam, for it's client updates, and prefer to buy on Gog, Itch.IO etc..)

However, in parallel, there is news that there may be a Steam hand-held coming.
https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/steams-latest-update-could-hint-at-valve-plans-for-a-console-like-device/

For a more detailed background to the story, read this.
https://www.gamingonlinux.com/2021/05/hints-appear-of-valve-making-a-possible-handheld-steam-qsteampalq-neptune-console

3 hours ago, justclaws said:

Remember dedicated STEAM MACHINES that ran SteamOS years ago? I just don't see the demand for a dedicated STEAM device when running the client on a platform of choice has been fine. I doubt the concept will do any better then it has previously. There is just no need. ?

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, OldSchoolRetroGamer said:

Remember dedicated STEAM MACHINES that ran SteamOS years ago? I just don't see the demand for a dedicated STEAM device when running the client on a platform of choice has been fine. I doubt the concept will do any better then it has previously. There is just no need. ?

Part of it is Valve didn't follow through.   You can't just release a bunch of Steam machines for one holiday season and expect it to take over the world, you have to keep pushing the concept until it gains traction.   It didn't help that SteamOS development was slow and you were better off running the Steam client on a different Linux distribution than SteamOS.

There's lots of people who don't want to bother with PC, so Steam in console form has potential--  they have a library that can go toe-to-toe with Sony, MS or Nintendo.   But if you want compete against those three, you need more committment than what Valve showed.   And Atari simply doesn't have the resources to succeed where Valve failed.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, OldSchoolRetroGamer said:

I don't remember that. Why did you keep it a secret?!

• Haha 1

On 5/25/2021 at 2:21 AM, tripled79 said:

I can't get Windows to install on my VCS so access to Steam would be nice...

You've got other options for running Steam. Maybe try booting Linux on an external drive? People have got it working using Ubuntu, and there are distros like DraugerOS that come pre-packaged with and optimized for the Steam client.

On the whole though, fixing your Windows install will probably give you a better experience. Either way, it's probably best not to wait up for Steam to come to AtariOS.

8 hours ago, justclaws said:

However, in parallel, there is news that there may be a Steam hand-held coming.
https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/steams-latest-update-could-hint-at-valve-plans-for-a-console-like-device/

Yes, that seems to connect far more plausibly with what GabeN was talking about.

Much like the Steam Machines, I wouldn't be terribly surprised if it ends up being expensive, impractical and somewhat underpowered. I certainly won't be expecting something with the price and ergonomics of the Switch that runs AAA PC games.

There is more information - they are definitely developing a hand-held PC running SteamOS.
I'm happy right now that I know of a number of developers who released on Steam, and now add VCS.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2021/05/exclusive-valve-is-making-a-switch-like-portable-gaming-pc/

It seems that Valve will have their own challenges to face, in releasing a Switch competitor.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-05-27/nintendo-plans-upgraded-switch-replacement-as-soon-as-september

On 5/27/2021 at 9:08 AM, justclaws said:

There is more information - they are definitely developing a hand-held PC running SteamOS.
I'm happy right now that I know of a number of developers who released on Steam, and now add VCS.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2021/05/exclusive-valve-is-making-a-switch-like-portable-gaming-pc/

It seems that Valve will have their own challenges to face, in releasing a Switch competitor.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-05-27/nintendo-plans-upgraded-switch-replacement-as-soon-as-september

Ha, nothing definite about it.  There actually are some pretty decent arguments that it's going to be an Index 2 that is stand alone.  I'm personally hoping for a few things.

1) that they're working on a wireless add on for current Index setups.

2) the 'SteamPal' that is talked about from the SteamDB guy.  Hoping they come up with a cooler name than that though.  The code name for whatever it is they're working on is Neptune, though hopefully that works out better than the Sega Neptune did :P

There are also videos out there by (my guess is console only players who don't understand Steam / Linux) that are guessing it's some sort of tablet, and that you'd have to rebuy your games on Steam... personally I think that's the dumbest idea ever.  I mean technically the Switch is a Tablet with controllers that detach... so maybe that's kind of what they're thinking of.  There have been patents by valve for modular controllers, so maybe you'll be able to swap out touch pads / sticks like what Steam Controller 2 should be.. (or like Thrustmaster's eSwap Pro). 

Anyhow, I'm excited about it, a portable Steam player is what I was hoping the GPD Win line were, but their GPU and loudness prevents me from enjoying mine...

22 hours ago, justclaws said:

This isn't about Steam on VCS specifically, but more why some games are only Steam.
I just saw this shared on Facebook AtariVCS group. Interesting observations. ?
https://www.ign.com/articles/valve-facing-new-lawsuit-over-steam-digital-monopoly

I don't think that's a very accurate description of what the lawsuit is about. Steam obviously controls enough of the games market to be considered a monopoly and, if they were trying to restrict publishers from selling games elsewhere that would obviously be highly illegal; even Nintendo don't pull that shit any more.

However, nobody is alleging that they're doing that. Rather, it's about their policy of pricing parity with other stores. Some developers appear to have gotten the impression that Valve will not tolerate the sale of games at substantially lower prices than Steam, and can offer up correspondence from Valve to that effect. However, the only thing that's actually written down in their agreement that alludes to this seems to purely relate to the reselling of Steam free keys where I'd think that they're probably within their rights. Also, in practice, it's pretty easy to look around the various PC game storefronts and find games - or even actual Steam keys - that are being sold at different prices.

The question therefore seems to be over whether there are unwritten rules being applied selectively to certain publishers. Being one to prefer incompetence over malice, I'd think it entirely possible that some of Valve's own employees are interpreting the rules differently from others, and that their notoriously haphazard attitude to publisher relations certainly fits that pattern.

On the whole, I'd think that the best outcome here is that Steam clarifies their policies and doesn't enforce price parity on anyone who isn't just a reseller of Steam keys. This is extremely unlikely to lead to more games being sold on other platforms though, or even lower prices.

So far as the VCS goes, parity with Steam prices would be an improvement in a lot of cases. Still, it's a smaller and less competitive market and people are mostly just going to charge what it will bear.