IGNORED

Abyss (beta)

DrTypo

Tried 0.74, and unfortunately it seems less stable on my M-series Jag than the previous version. I get flashes and lines and "blender noise" on the title screen, and also hear the blender noise again each time I blow up an object in the first mission.

The game crashed twice on me when I pressed 2 to drop a decoy -- complete lock-up, screen went black. Third time I did get it to work which was neat to see. Also the bubbles look a lot better now that they don't bounce as much. :)

Edited by Songbird
  • Like 1

Indeed the game is still not that stable. I managed to make a full playthrough but at return to the main screen there were noise in the music.

I also had brief graphic glitches during gameplay.

I'll try tonight on my other jag (the "good one") to see what happens.

• 5 months later...

Hey there. I'm new to this scene, and love the feel of this beta. I got a chance to play it a bit last night, but only through emulation, so I don't think that will properly reflect the bugs that are being sorted out (waiting on a GD to try this on my Jag for real). Has there been any news on this lately?

• Like 1

On 5/21/2021 at 2:41 AM, DrTypo said:

yeah, this is a beta test, I need your feedback

I tried this for some time now, and it works fine on a PAL system.

However, I think that this game can look much more polished if there is some kind of simulated underwater effect. It doesn't need to be very demanding, just some kind of effect that gives the impression of movement, perhaps using scaled sprites?

If you want I can share the gpu code for the starfield effect used in Wormhole 2000? Perhaps it can be adapted for this game?

(E.g. small bubbles instead of stars)

Edited by phoboz

22 minutes ago, JagChris said:

What wss that cool space game that came out for Saturn and PSX? It seemed to be mostly non textured polygons

I always thought the Jag could handle a version of that

It's probably not, but your not thinking of Darklight Conflict by Rage by any chance? 

I'm hard pressed to think of a space game on Saturn and Playstation, Saturn not getting likes OF WCIII, no conversions of Colony Wars etc under the Psygnosis deal. 

The DOS version used a very nice software rendering engine. 

Consoles versions, whilst not as pretty, had some nice ship designs and lighting fx. 

Game itself was a tough one, difficulty wise and soon got tedious as missions lacked variety. 

• Like 2

I tried .74 out on an NTSC K-series for maybe 30 minutes yesterday without any issues. I also found the controls for raising/lower depth a bit awkward.  I liked it, but I found it needs... Something more.  As it sits now, its just a little plain for me.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ls650 said:

I tried .74 out on an NTSC K-series for maybe 30 minutes yesterday without any issues. I also found the controls for raising/lower depth a bit awkward.  I liked it, but I found it needs... Something more.  As it sits now, its just a little plain for me.

I agree that it's a little plain right now. Perhaps something like the underwater effect that phoboz mentioned would do it (I'm no programer, so I can't speak to how easy or hard that would be). 

That said, I like the controls for raising and lowering depth. It's one of the things that sets this game up as a submarine simulation, rather than another space fighter sim (not that there's anything wrong with those, DrTypo's awesome Fallen Angels included). I liked that this was going for something that is a bit different than anything else on the Jag so far.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you for all nice comments and constructive criticism. It definitely needs to be more fleshed out (like most of my games :D ).

The problem with this one is the memory corruption bug. It only occurs on a few jags (about 1/3 of the jags tested) and runs perfectly fine in emulation (at least on phoenix, there are synchronization issues on VJ due to its multi-threaded approach). So far it's a show-stopper. I haven't touch it in months.

I'll try to take a new dig at the problem this year, with maybe a simple test program.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, DrTypo said:

Thank you for all nice comments and constructive criticism. It definitely needs to be more fleshed out (like most of my games :D ).

The problem with this one is the memory corruption bug. It only occurs on a few jags (about 1/3 of the jags tested) and runs perfectly fine in emulation (at least on phoenix, there are synchronization issues on VJ due to its multi-threaded approach). So far it's a show-stopper. I haven't touch it in months.

I'll try to take a new dig at the problem this year, with maybe a simple test program.

It's a shame that bug seems like a persistent problem (super weird that it only affects 1/3 of consoles). In any event, I'm happy to hear you are planning to tackle the issue again this year. Best if luck. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...