IGNORED

Newbie issues

I received my GameDrive and can't get it working.

Typically when I first turn it on I get the Retro HQ screen. If I do nothing the "option" feature disappears after a few seconds and the screen stays on just the logo. If I press option it shows that I have the 10.1 version. I have to power off at either point as no buttons have any effect

When I repower after the first time I get the red hollow Jaguar screen. 

My Jaguar is working with regular games as shown in pics 3 and 4

Pic 5 is a top view of the slot which I have cleaned with a cart and with a cut to size plastic slider and contact cleaner

Pic six is the card files which came preloaded on the card. I also deleted them and reloaded them from the free download that came with the cart

Twice I have turned on the cart and it came up with a screen that showed these games but I haven't been able to make it happen again. When I selected a game the download box appeared and the screen froze with zero progress

I have not tested the power supply yet and sometime have to wiggle the power cord to get power to the system. I have a 9v 2500ma power supply that I might try if anyone thinks it could be that.

Any suggestions?

atari1.jpg

atari2.jpg

atari3.jpg

atari4.jpg

atari5.jpg

atari6.jpg

Do you have a JagLink connected? Hanging here is normal if the comms port is being blocked.

The red screen is a bad connection on the cart port, and your cart port doesn't look in the best of shape. There's rust on the screws which hold the connector to the casing, although I don't obviously see any bent pins.

The JagGD also uses more pins on the cart port than regular games, so other games working isn't a foolproof way of determining if your cart port is in good shape, unfortnuately.

If you dont have a JagLink, a good clean and inspection of the cart port would be the first stop.

1 hour ago, SainT said:

I will sometimes use a fine sandpaper (I'm sure I'll get flamed for this ?), but just some card or something reasonably thick with IPA should do the job.

Goose Island IPA is pretty popular around here though I like Thunderpeel IPA.  Any alcohol content suggestion for the IPA - maybe a Double IPA?  :D

Flying Dog Thunderpeel : Beer Sniffers - Buy craft beers, real ale, lagers  and beer gifts from Beer Sniffers online beer shop.

Edited by Goochman
  • Haha 2

Just now, DidSomeoneSayAtari? said:

I think the plastic I used was too thin. I'll cut up one of my wife's credit cards tonight and solve two issues at once.

Lol, you'll need something mildly abrasive and able to absorb some IPA. Something like cardboard would do the job, I would think.

It needs to physically rub away any corrosion. On the cart edge you'd use something like a fiberclass pen, but it's trickier to get at and see what's going on with cartridge edge connectors like this.

20 hours ago, SainT said:

I will sometimes use a fine sandpaper

The gold plating is only a thin layer, and sandpaper wears it down. It may appear to solve the problem initially, but it also makes the contact less resilient to corrosion, so it's not a good idea.

There are some special erasers made to clean contacts without damaging them, but the slot in the connector is too narrow to use them. So the best option is probably isopropyl alcohol and a cloth indeed.

Edited by Zerosquare
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zerosquare said:

The gold plating is only a thin layer, and sandpaper wears it down. It may appear to solve the problem initially, but it also makes the contact less resilient to corrosion, so it's not a good idea.

There are some special erasers made to clean contacts without damaging them, but the slot in the connector is too narrow to use them. So the best option is probably isopropyl alcohol and a cloth indeed.

Agreed. I'm slightly cavalier in my approach at times. ?

I cleaned the cartridge slot thoroughly. I can get this screen to come up once when the system is first turned on but it freezes when I select any game. When I turn the Jaguar off and back on to get rid of this screen it will only give me the red screen or the HQ screen until I wait an hour or so and start over. Could it be a power supply issue or something heating up inside the Jaguar? 

atarirom.jpg

Hanging here is usually a sign of a bad connection / badly behaving EINT0 and EINT1 pins on the cartridge port. The fact it's no longer hanging on the RetroHQ splash screen indicates to me there was a bad connection on the UARTO and UARTI pins of the cartridge port.

So I'm guessing while cleaning has helped, it has not solved all connection issues.

Quite why it's red screening intermittently though, I'm not sure -- it doesn't make much sense. This would be a bad connection on the data or address lines, but given games are running, this doesn't seem to make any sense.

I just got my GameDrive from Stone Age Gamer (mine came with a 32GB SanDisk SD from their store).  I booted the cart, scanned the QR code, downloaded the firmware, put it in the root of the card, and booted... Memory Card Unreadable.

ok that's fine. let's reformat the SD and try again.  Same thing.

ok, fine... let's try a different card, a 16GB SanDisk.  Same thing.

um... 8GB SD?  Nope.

WTF?  when I take the card out it says "Insert card" so I can tell the cartridge is recognizing something there... I mean, unless 3 cards (2 of which are SanDisk AND one of them came with the god-forsaken cart from SAG!) are bad, it HAS to be the cartridge... right?

HELP PLEASE ?

(EDIT: I've cleaned my Jaguar cart slot, the pins on the GameDrive (which are literally brand new), tried emptying the SD that came from Stone Age Gamer so nothing but the firmware is on it... I'm about to try using the USB on it though I doubt that'll work.  I'm not happy... they should really figure out a way to get around this issue OR ship the cart with firmware pre-installed)

Edited by JSR2gamers

The firmware IS preinstalled now, it should have just booted to the menu. If it didn’t, that’s odd. I have had people say it’s stuck on this screen only to find their controller has a sticky OPTION button.

However, it sounds like you may well have an issue with the cart. I have seen this once before with a customer. If it’s possible to get something small to clean the memory card slot, it’s worth a go. I have had this a few times in testing where I have memory card unreadable, I give the card a quick clean, then it works fine. However my cards are old!

While everything is tested as working before it leaves me, for whatever reason, some do fail in the time they leave to the time they reach the end user. This problem will be rectified and I appreciate it’s annoying, but unfortunately it’s something which is out of anyone’s control.

Edited by SainT

(also sorry if I came off as frustrated yesterday, I was... I had a really rough weekend, and this was something I was waiting for a very long time to finally get.  I was very disappointed and frustrated, and felt helpless... I'm sorry if I came off as rude at all.)

• Like 1

No worries, I appreciate the frustration I really do — but rest assured you will be sorted out! If you have no luck resolving it then the next step will be a new cart with SAG. I’ve only had one person with persistent issues like this and the cart was faulty, so it does seem likely.

I find it odd it didn’t boot to the menu, though, the last 2 batches of carts have shipped with firmware preinstalled, so they should just boot.

• Like 1

Well, I think I got too aggressive with the cleaning and now my power light will come on with or without a cart in place but nothing happens beyond that. The screen doesn't even flicker when I hit the power button. I'm getting 8.4 volts coming from the jag voltage adapter. I'm guessing I got something jammed in a pin or damaged one. Is there a recommended repair house? I'm ready for pro help at this point. These Jags are a little more complex than the 2600's

Edited by DidSomeoneSayAtari?
spelling error and further detail on repair

17 hours ago, DidSomeoneSayAtari? said:

Well, I think I got too aggressive with the cleaning and now my power light will come on with or without a cart in place but nothing happens beyond that. The screen doesn't even flicker when I hit the power button. I'm getting 8.4 volts coming from the jag voltage adapter. I'm guessing I got something jammed in a pin or damaged one. Is there a recommended repair house? I'm ready for pro help at this point. These Jags are a little more complex than the 2600's

Eurgh. :(

There are two pins which need to be bridged on the cartridge port to power the console on, so it will be related to these. I don't know about repair places, though. The cartridge port on the Jaguar is really finicky.

• 3 weeks later...

Fantastic, glad to hear you are sorted! It just goes to show that even when a Jaguar appears to be working, playing regular games, it does not mean it is fully functional. Creating new hardware for antique electronics can be a bit frustrating like this! :)