IGNORED

Dear YouTube: con-chair-toe, not con-sert-o

x=usr(1536)

One thing that annoys me about English--    if you are going to import a word from a foreign language-   either keep the spelling and pronounce it according to English rules or keep the pronunciation and spell it according to the way it should pronounced, but not both!   It creates too many exceptions to the rules of the language.

Yes, I've been publically embarassed pronouncing "hors-de-vours" the way it is spelt if you couldn't tell ?

Edited by zzip
  • Haha 2

49 minutes ago, Stephen said:

You say tu-may-toe, I say tu-motto.  But yeah, I've never heard anyone use con-cert-o.

Not gonna name names (or provide direct links), but the offenders are pretty easy to find on YouTube with some basic searching.

18 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Not gonna name names (or provide direct links), but the offenders are pretty easy to find on YouTube with some basic searching.

I'm not one of them as I was in band in high school so I know how it is pronounced hehe.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 5/26/2021 at 1:27 PM, x=usr(1536) said:

That is all.  Thank you for your support.  Have a nice day.  Please come again.  I would hate for your bungholio to get polio.  No purchase necessary; enter as often as you like.

This is the least of commie-tube's problems.  Only in big tech does technology go backwards.  Things that used to work perfectly no longer work, everything is unpredictable and their damned rules are more complicated and unpredictable than  US law.  Searching now absolutely sucks.,

It's an example of an "educated correction" - a lot of pronunciation mismatches come from this phenomenon.  It gave us the "s" in island and the "b" in debt, along with the spelling "Stephen" - stuff that makes no sense.  It isn't a phenomenon exclusive to English either, as French has some of these types of words too ("temps", for example).  And yes, it's the explanation of "colonel" sounding like "kernel" too.

The spelling in Early Modern English was, actually, "soder", which can still be seen in many copies of the KJV translation of the Bible at Isaiah 41.7.

47 minutes ago, Jinks said:

Americans call roofs rufs. Can not pronounce the oo for the life of them. Then go on to say us Canucks talk funny.. ok Forrest. 

That's a regional accent for "roof".  Most of the States pronounces the vowels in "roof" the same way ALL Canadians drunkenly pronounce hoose, aboot, etc.  Or shood I say pronoonce?  ;)

• Haha 2

With you on the regional thing. My wife says ruff, and also rut for roof and root. It drives me bonkers. I wonder if you see it more because of the where. SWhe is from northern Washington. I've also been to northern Maine and they have their own dialect of every freaking word, bub.

That being said, my dumbass really thought it was con-sair-to, even though I took music appreciation and choir in school. I kinda tried to forget most of those times though so eh.

con-chair-to it is!

On 6/1/2021 at 10:33 AM, carlsson said:

But has anyone arranged one of Vivaldi's cello concertos for either TIA or POKEY sound yet? Paul did it on his ZX Spectrum once upon a time, though I still haven't figured out which concerto that is.

You mean concerti, right? ;)

• Like 2

On 5/26/2021 at 8:01 PM, zzip said:

One thing that annoys me about English--    if you are going to import a word from a foreign language-   either keep the spelling and pronounce it according to English rules or keep the pronunciation and spell it according to the way it should pronounced, but not both!   It creates too many exceptions to the rules of the language.

Yes, I've been publically embarassed pronouncing "hors-de-vours" the way it is spelt if you couldn't tell ?

The trouble with that with this not having taken place for the last App. 1500 years there is no clear relation between spelling and pronunciation in English…

Many languages actually change foreign words that way, occasionally words were re-spelled twice when adopted into one language from another and then yet another again. Spelling them in their native form and learning the pronunciation rules will otoh make it easier to recognise them (and read other words) should you ever travel their.

In German there was quite a dispute whether changing Classic Greek „ph“ spelling to „f“ with the last big spelling reform was appropriate or an abomination of the classics, i.e. if using a Greek word with German spelling wouldn‘t out you as primitive rather than sophisticated.

Contshairto feels a bit strange…

On 6/1/2021 at 1:22 PM, carlsson said:

Things had been much easier if the Atari 7800 cartridge was named Tritone instead. :-D

That wouldn’t make the pronunciation of the i and o unambiguous, as English speakers would need to have it spelled Treetonay to pronounce it almost like Italians, unless it’s supposed to be English for „three tones“ in which case the Italians would need different spelling….

The obvious solution for AtariAge would be to make the S.A.M. pronunciation official ;)

• Haha 1