IGNORED

NO SYS error?

Smokeless Joe

I just starting getting into the TRS-80 (model I/III/4).  I’ve got an emulator up and running, but I’m interested in REAL hardware.

I’m looking at the following: https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/ele/d/lebanon-vintage-radio-shack-tandy-trs/7326846968.html

What does the NO SYS error mean?  I’ve tried Googling it and looking at various lists of error messages, but I can’t find that one.  Is it really just looking for a system disk?  I thought they started with BASIC if there was no disk found.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Smokeless Joe said:

I just starting getting into the TRS-80 (model I/III/4).  I’ve got an emulator up and running, but I’m interested in REAL hardware.

I’m looking at the following: https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/ele/d/lebanon-vintage-radio-shack-tandy-trs/7326846968.html

What does the NO SYS error mean?  I’ve tried Googling it and looking at various lists of error messages, but I can’t find that one.  Is it really just looking for a system disk?  I thought they started with BASIC if there was no disk found.

Thanks!

If you have a Model 1/3/4 with a disk drive - by default it will attempt to boot off drive 0.

If you have a data disk in drive 0 - you'll get the NO SYS error message or equivalent.  It may vary from data disk to data disk depending on the DOS that was used to create it.

You can boot to BASIC by holding down whatever key in the emulator corresponds to BREAK and then reseting the emulator.

Jim