IGNORED

Starting the Phantasy Star series

jeremiahjt

Well I was right and the Dragon's Tear allowed me access to the eastern most cave on Aridia.  It was a fairly difficult cave, but it actually had useful equipment.  Mieu got the Force Ribbon, allowing her to skip the Ceramic Ribbon.  Ayn got the Ceramic Helmet and Wren got the Laser Shot.  The Laser Shot only attacks one enemy, unlike the Ceramic Shot which attacked a whole row, which could be up to six enemies.  The Ceramic Shot attack damage had gotten too low for the enemies I was facing though, so I went ahead and equipped the Laser Shot.

Once through the tunnel I was in Draconia.  The only reason I knew I was in Draconia was because the map I used said tunnel to Draconia.  I found a castle fairly quick, but the castle section was locked and there were no people roaming the town.  Only one person could be found in the second floor of the shops, and they told me Techna in the northeast might have knowledge of Satellite.  I have no idea the name of the castle or town as nobody says it.

I finally found weapon and armor upgrades.  I had almost 25,000 meseta, so I was able to buy everything.  I bought Wren a Laconian Shot, so that Laser Shot did not last long as his weapon of choice.  Now I have to either find a way into the castle, or continue exploring to the east.  I will probably do quick search around the extremely long fountain to see if there is a hidden entrance to the castle.  If I cannot find one then I will head east, even if there has never been any reason.

Well I could not figure out a way to get into the castle gates so I went exploring.  The new weapons I bought are tearing through these robots.  It was a nice upgrade.

So I found a town and the townspeople actually told me the town's name; Endora.  Another townsperson told me the name of the castle I just left too; Lensol. One person in Endora told me he got the gate open, but could not figure out how to get into the castle.  That person and another person told me a princess is being held there.  So obviously Thea is in Lensol Castle.

Endora also had new weapons and armor.  I only needed one piece of armor, Ceramic Gear for Wren to replace his Steel Gear, but the weapon shop had upgrades for everybody.  Two new Laser Claws for Mieu, a Laser Sword for Ayn, and a 10,000 meseta Cannon for Wren.  I went from loaded with meseta to being fairly poor.  I have not tested these out yet, but I have a feeling I am going to start tearing through the robots in this area.

Now do I go back to try to get into Lensol, or continue exploring past Endora?  I think I will finish exploring first and then head back.

I went exploring the rest of Draconia with my new weapons and I am tearing through everything. Wren and Ayn kill everything with one shot. Mieu would sometimes have trouble with a doomfly surviving it she had a low attack, but everything else fell to her in one hit to.  Now eventually I traveled far enough that new enemies started popping up and a demonfly could survive Mieu, but not the other two.

I found nothing of interest while searching, so I headed back to Lensol. The gate was now open thanks to that random guy in Endora. I made my way though the castle and the castle dungeon to find Thea.  Thea has the Twins' Ruby, so now we have access to Landen. She firsts wants to go see her father though. I wonder if he will still be alive.

The first fight after Thea joined got her all the way up-to level 6. She was pretty weak for a while, but she advanced to level 16 pretty quick. I outfitted her with the best of Lensol and Endora. I should have passed on buying her two Ceramic Slicers in Lensol since the Laser Slicer is sold in Endora, but all I am out is some meseta.

Now off to Aridia and the western cavern to see Lyle. Afterwards we will probably head to Landen to find Lena's daughter.

Edited by jeremiahjt
Grammar

I decided to go to Rysel and get Thea some Force Boots first.  They are not a whole lot better than regular Boots, but nothing wrong with more grinding.  While in Aquatica, I checked out the Landen to Aquatica tunnel and there was a guard there.  He would not let me pass on orders of Lune.  I guess Lune is Lena's daughter.

Back in Aridia, Lyle was still alive and appreciative of Ayn rescuing his daughter.  There was hardly any new dialogue from the royalty, it was kind of a waste to go see them.  The Aridia to Landen tunnel introduced some new cyborgs, including Commsats.  These Commsats are not very tough, but they give a ton of experience.  There were also three Force weapons to be found in treasure chests in the tunnel.  Mieu now has a Force Claw and Ayn has a Force Sword.  Both are pretty good improvements.  A Force Dagger was also picked up, but it is not being used.

Thea has turned into an excellent fighter.  The damage she does to a whole row with her two slicers in very high.  Wren has now become my weakest link.  His Cannon needs upgraded, badly.

Once in Landen I stopped by Yaata and Ilan and found both deserted outside of shopkeepers.  I did pick up two Force Slicers for Thea.  They were not much better than her Laser Slicers, but I already bought them.  Landen was as deserted as Yaata and Ilan, with only shopkeepers to be found.  The gates to the castle were locked up tight.  So I will have to sneak in through the dungeon by way of the Technique Shop.  These castles and their secret dungeon entrances.

I entered the dungeon through the secret entrance in the Technique Shop. I came upon a woman named Sari who said she was Lena's daughter. I guess I was wrong about Lune. She fought me and after I defeated her she became the last member of my party.

After she joined I looked at her hit points and they were through the roof. Over 200 hit points! I then checked out her other stats and her stats almost across the board dwarfed my other characters. I gave her that Force Dagger and she does good damage with it. Her ridiculous speed means she attacks first almost every round. Her biggest downside is that she gains levels very, very slowly.

I was about to head back to Draconia, when I read the strategy guide up to what I had done. It said go back to Wren's Cavern first. So I went back and talked to Rhys, Maia, and Lyle again. Lyle said go to Cape Dragon Spine in the east. Well I already knew that, so another wasted trip in the cavern.

There was a dragon waiting for me at Cape Dragon Spine. I rode the dragon over the water to the island and then the dragon transformed into Lyle! All this time Lyle was a shape-shifter. He admitted to kidnapping Maia and he said do not let Rhys know. He then says his goodbye to his daughter and dies. That whole sequence was unexpected.

The island is quite small, with only Techna inhabiting it. Techna is full of expensive equipment.  I had around 50,000 meseta, but I quickly ran out. I have a feeling that the end of Ayn's story will take place in the Techna Castle, so I decided to buy everything. It took quite a while of grinding, but everybody has their new armor, except for Wren, and everybody has their new weapons, mostly Laconian.

In the town of Techna, I learned that the cyborgs were coming from Satellite and that Satellite is not peaceful like the legends say.  The cyborgs from Satellite have also taken over the castle.  One lady told me that Satellite is Azura. I have no idea what Azura is.

So next I enter the castle where the dungeon can lead me to Satellite supposedly.  I wonder if I will find out who or what Lune is.  I think I will be making a choice between Thea and Sari over who Ayn marries very soon.

I entered the deserted castle of Techna (outside of roving cyborgs) and made my way to the dungeon.  In the dungeon you come across a cyborg, or maybe a man, who lets you pass because Ayn has proven his courage and worth.  He says we deserve to know the truth and lets the party pass.  The party comes upon a shuttlecraft and boards it.  The shuttle takes off and leaves the planet, revealing that the planet is actually a spaceship built by their ancestors.  The spaceship is made up of pods for each land and these lands are connected by tunnels.

The shuttle lands on Satellite and you come to find out that Satellite, which looks like a moon, is another ancient spaceship.  The first section of Satellite, or Azura, is quite nice, but the second section is in disrepair.  There are a couple of treasure chests here with force equipment, including a Force Bandanna for Thea.

At the end of the second level is a female cyborg named Siren.  Siren says a few rats escaped her cyborg army.  I guess she is talking about Mieu and Wren.  I think the game is trying to say that all cyborgs are controlled by Siren, except for Mieu, Wren, and I guess Miun.  Siren then says she served Orakio, but was forced onto Satellite by Laya.  Then Laya moved Satellite away from the other spaceship.  I guess when Rhys fixed the Satellite Control System and brought the moons back together, he opened Pandora's Box with Siren.  Siren says she has waited 1,000 for her revenge.  Although I do not know if she wants revenge on Laya, Laya's people, Orakio, Orakio's people, or all humans.

The actual fight is not too tough, but Siren can pack quite a punch.  She had Thea pretty low on hit points at one point, but nobody died during the fight.  After her defeat, Siren's promises retribution and disappears.  Will she return in the next generation?

Afterwards, all of Ayn's people move to Satellite to live.  Rhys decrees that Ayn must marry soon, and both Thea and Sari vie for his hand.  I chose Thea, but I saved the game before the Techna dungeon to both save slots, so I can go back and see what happens if Ayn marries Sari if I want to.  Rhys gives his blessing for Thea to marry his son, and somehow the deceased Lyle gives his blessing for Ayn to marry his daughter.  Maybe he left a journal saying just in case Ayn tries to marry my daughter, I approve.  Or maybe he is a ghost.

Ayn and Thea bring peace to Satellite, now just called Azura, and had a son named Sean.  After Sean is old enough to fight, Alisa III, the spaceship I guess, starts attacking Azura.  Azura is taking heavy damage, but Ayn and Thea decided to stay on their doomed home.  Ayn orders Sean to the shuttle, along with Mieu and Wren of course.  He tells Sean to head to his grandfather's homeland, Landen.  Mieu and Wren get Sean to the shuttle and escape Azura.  After escaping, Alisa III continues firing on Azura with more explosions rocking Azura.  Azura does not blow up though, so we may have to go back there before the game is over.

There are some nice cutscenes during this story exposition.  I quite like them.  There seem to be more than the Rhys to Ayn transition, but maybe I am forgetting them.  The shuttle crashes on Aridia and the game lets you know the shuttle is toast.  I went ahead and talked to Miun again, but she still says the same thing.

In Hazatak you are told there is now a whirlpool southeast of Hazatak.  I wonder how that got there.  You are also told to find sub parts so Wren can transform into a sub.  I had accidently read that about Wren becoming other things, so that was not a surprise.  Next I will investigate that whirlpool.  I bet those sub parts will also be used to get to the sunken shrine near Ilan and Yaata.  Speaking of shrines, I wonder if Sean is Layan enough to use them for whatever purposes they have.

15 hours ago, jeremiahjt said:

@Ryan Witmer How far along did you get playing the Phantasy Star games on your Twitch? I think I saw you were doing an Ys game now.

I played the first two games and the remake of 2 before moving on to other things.  I may swing around back to 3 and 4 at some point, but haven't really decided yet.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally started playing the third generation.  I searched all over the southeast, and east and south, from Hazatak and I could not find any whirlpool.  So I somehow missed it, or more likely the cyborgs meant that a tunnel entrance southeast of Hazatak leads to a whirlpool.

The Control Tower where Rhys fixed the Weather Control System for Aquatica and used the Satellite Control System to bring Satellite/Azura back to its original location is southeast and I can enter it, so I think I will head there next.  Maybe I will find the sub parts there.  If nothing is there, then I will head to the Western Cavern where Lyle liked to hang out to see if anything is there.  If I cannot find anything, I guess I will make my way to Aquatica or Landen.

I did check out some of Laya's Temples and I still get the same message.  I guess Sean is still not Layan enough.

The enemies right now are a mixed bag of some of the easiest in the game and some very powerful cyborgs.  The powerful cyborgs give a ton of experience and meseta.  Sean has gained all of one level so far.  I guess he is a slow level advancer.

• Like 2

I did a trade over on video game sage early this month, a little cash, and a nice small stack of specific games.  There were four snes titles, 2 snes manuals, and then 2 genesis games... rocket knight, and then one I've wanted to try a very very long time -- Phantasy Star IV. :D

So far I'm digging it, but not very far either.  LV8/9 party and I'm up to where you're at Hahn's home town and need to go into that basement for the stone cure I believe it was.  It's largely been just parked in my Nomad for play.

• Like 1

On 5/21/2022 at 8:18 PM, jeremiahjt said:

Finally started playing the third generation.  I searched all over the southeast, and east and south, from Hazatak and I could not find any whirlpool.  So I somehow missed it, or more likely the cyborgs meant that a tunnel entrance southeast of Hazatak leads to a whirlpool.

The Control Tower where Rhys fixed the Weather Control System for Aquatica and used the Satellite Control System to bring Satellite/Azura back to its original location is southeast and I can enter it, so I think I will head there next.  Maybe I will find the sub parts there.  If nothing is there, then I will head to the Western Cavern where Lyle liked to hang out to see if anything is there.  If I cannot find anything, I guess I will make my way to Aquatica or Landen.

I did check out some of Laya's Temples and I still get the same message.  I guess Sean is still not Layan enough.

The enemies right now are a mixed bag of some of the easiest in the game and some very powerful cyborgs.  The powerful cyborgs give a ton of experience and meseta.  Sean has gained all of one level so far.  I guess he is a slow level advancer.

Haha, yeah you need a specific Layan for the temples.  It will come with a pendant or something that is the real key to using those transporters.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/24/2022 at 7:50 PM, ChildOfCv said:

Haha, yeah you need a specific Layan for the temples.  It will come with a pendant or something that is the real key to using those transporters.

I had read something about a Layan pendant being used in the temples.

Are the runway looking things actually transporters or are the temples transporters? I assumed the runway things would be used by getting some airplane or jet parts for Wren, but that is a complete guess.

I decided to check the map of the Control Tower instead of just searching, and I could not see anything that would make me want to explore it. So I decided to head to Draconia instead. I made it to Lensol and the town did not have much to offer. It did have more to offer than the castle though. The castle and the dungeon were completely empty of people and random monsters. What a waste.

At that point I checked the guide and it said to go to Landen after you crash. I guess I should have followed Ayn's instructions instead of listening to the cyborgs of Hazatak.

In Landen, Ilan and Yaata had nothing to offer me. In Landen proper, Sari pointed me in my next direction; I need to use an ancient machine in a land southwest of Landen to find Laya's Treasure and then go get Laya's Treasure.  Is Laya's Treasure the pendant, or maybe sub parts for Wren?

I found out Lune was Laya's top general and Orakio stranded Lune on Dahlia, the other "moon." So Orakio and Laya each sent the other's right hand man to a moon off the ship. It seems like both of them got mad and decided to attack all the humans.

Lune took over Satera and built a bridge to Landen. I went across it and found Satera completely destroyed and deserted. I did some searching of Satera's land, but not all of it yet. I think I did see a cave entrance, which will probably lead to the land southwest, my next stop.

On 6/1/2022 at 11:48 PM, jeremiahjt said:

I had read something about a Layan pendant being used in the temples.

Are the runway looking things actually transporters or are the temples transporters? I assumed the runway things would be used by getting some airplane or jet parts for Wren, but that is a complete guess.

The runway looking things are airports :)

Obviously that means you get a flyer eventually

Since this is the active topic on this old franchise, kind of curious what people feel about maybe using the GBA Phantasy Star Collection port?  I know it was horrible they'd confusingly exclude #4, but 1-3 is on there.  Seems like a semi-ideal way to play if you want to go beyond the TV, though I think they're largely just straight emulated or ported to the handheld.  I forget though as I had it back when it was new, but only really did it for the original as I never was huge on the second as it drags and three I just read endless dislike about so I just didn't bother.  Not sure if it's a hot mess to even buy it now, but it did come with some nice poster/map things to help so probably with paper pushing sharks.

I really liked the GBA port back in the day but just remember it has that random bug where the game might crash when saving in PS1 I believe. 

Anyway, these days I'd say forget the GBA as if you want to play Phantasy Star 1 on handheld, the Sega Ages version on Switch is the way to go especially with it's various quality of life enhancements. And for PS 2,3,4 the Sega Genesis Classics collection on Switch as well.

119703_sega-genesis-classics-switch.jpg

@NE146 That does vaguely sound familiar to me.  I don't think it ever died on me, so maybe it's really low-random but it's ok, just save a bit more often in case one fails.  PS1 isn't overly large or ugly to get stuck somewhere like the grind that 2 is or the weirdo red headed third release.

I do have PS1 though, it had a huge sale on Switch a year or few back and I grabbed it, liked the map generator it made.  I don't consider the switch a traveling handheld, just a domestic one and it won't fit into a pocket like a SP or better a MICRO can. :D  Also love the Switch, but bluntly put, it's like anything now not built as rugged as anything from 20 + years back ago, the GBA carts and units will long outlive the Switch. :P

Well you won't get any argument from me there regarding durability. But if you're not on the go it's hard to beat the switch for Phantasy Star handheld format.. hardware durability notwithstanding. Just saying :)  Also I forgot that GBA version doesn't have PS4. 

Well this thread kind of made me decide to start replaying PS2 for the first time since finishing back in 1989. :lol:  As I've fully paid my dues back then finishing the game entirely without a walkthrough, and I have zero desire for drudgery now, so I'm playing it on the Switch on Genesis Classics collection using Fast Forward to plow through battles (or grind), and also allowing myself to consult maps, etc.

I have to say.. it made me remember my thoughts where I was surprised and ultimately disappointed that with the power of the new and modern Genesis, that there were no 3D dungeons. I remember wondering if it might come as an eventual "surprise" in the game where a 3D dungeon comes into play.. but it never happened. Now looking at it 3 decades later, the overhead dungeons still aren't that great. They're mostly tedious.. bland looking with several areas meant to lead you to dead ends and wander around while you get assaulted non-stop. It just kind of solidified my view of PS1 being a better game than its PS2 or PS3 successors. Anyway it doesn't stop me from moving forward.. I just got past the biolab and am now in the junkyard building with those crazy slimes that regenerate but give you good exp & money. :)

Edited by NE146

9 hours ago, NE146 said:

Well this thread kind of made me decide to start replaying PS2 for the first time since finishing back in 1989.

I read this and I was like awesome,

9 hours ago, NE146 said:

I'm playing it on the Switch on Genesis Classics collection

but then I read this and I was like never mind.

9 hours ago, NE146 said:

using Fast Forward to plow through battles (or grind)

Finally I read this and I died a little inside.

2 hours ago, jeremiahjt said:

I read this and I was like awesome,

but then I read this and I was like never mind.

Finally I read this and I died a little inside.

lol it's all good man :)  But if you're thinking it should be weeks and weeks of playing the game non-stop pre-internet, getting lost for ages until finding the one thing needed to move forward, and then eventually triumphing over the game, I'm that guy!!  I am one of the PS1 fans who bought PS2 at launch and played through without ever glancing at the guide book.

image2.thumb.jpg.aebd40c6f920cc02659647d60f5f602b.jpg

But, there was just zero way I'm repeating that again for the SAME game. :lol: Playing through it emulated with speedup is enjoyable for me, which is what I'm looking for... to enjoy a game.  On that note that's how I played through a number of previously beaten RPGs again like FF1 and Dragon Warrior/Quest 1 on the NES as well. Speedup makes them fun again as far as I'm concerned. Else it's just too slow! Not worth it for something I've already previously immersed myself and experienced. :)

Edited by NE146
  • Like 1