IGNORED

Atari 7800 Homebrews with Physical Releases

Jaden (JRH)

I do think cartridges like those are interesting. However, I think they would be a pain to catalogue. If someone else wants to do that, be my guest. But I'm mainly looking at "official" releases.

Still, very cool that such a thing like that exists. I personally would like to see a cartridge with just the Namco conversions on them, since I'm a big Namco fan. Maybe one day.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, GoldenWheels said:

Some handsome devil made me a Double Dragon/Rampage ROM hack double cart, that you switch games with a button. I understand that kind of thing won't be included on this list. But to be quite frank....I have far more interest in the awesome releases done kind of commando style here by the hardcore 7800 guys, than MANY of those 'more official' titles on the list. Jeez, we need a list JUST for Bob's stuff!

The dual cart is *very* nice.   It contains graphically updated versions - not "final" though - of both games.  DD received some additional updates after the release and Rampage was never finalized; however, still a great improvement over the original graphics.  The Commando cart I have next to it, several were made, and contains a PIN hole on the side to swap between NTSC and PAL regions:

image.png.6fc24e2489b7f28667c10f55f801d804.png

Both of course would not be under consideration for the list mentioned in this thread, but your posted comments reminded me of both of them. :)

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, Trebor said:

The dual cart is *very* nice.   It contains graphically updated versions - not "final" though - of both games.  DD received some additional updates after the release and Rampage was never finalized; however, still a great improvement over the original graphics.  The Commando cart I have next to it, several were made, and contains a PIN hole on the side to swap between NTSC and PAL regions:

image.png.6fc24e2489b7f28667c10f55f801d804.png

Both of course would not be under consideration for the list mentioned in this thread, but your posted comments reminded me of both of them. :)

@Trebor You have all the cool carts! I must have still been under that rock when some of these came out (Pac-Carts and the two above). 

• Like 4

On 6/2/2021 at 7:05 AM, Trebor said:

Prior to there being any Pac-Man Collection cart, circa 2005/2006, there were a variety of individual Pac-Man games that were released to cartridge, which ultimately would make up Pac-Man Collection:

Prior to the development of Pac-Man Collection - 40th Anniversary Edition, around 10 years ago, there were individual "320" releases of Pac-Man and Ms. Pac-Man with POKEY sound.  Graphically, they're not as polished as PMC 40th, but still great:

I probably should have asked this earlier, but I'm curious. How were these Pac-Man games distributed? Were they sold independently by Bob, or someone else? I also wonder how many were produced of these.

1 hour ago, Jaden (JRH) said:

I probably should have asked this earlier, but I'm curious. How were these Pac-Man games distributed? Were they sold independently by Bob, or someone else? I also wonder how many were produced of these.

Bob produced and distributed them from what I recall.  Though anyone feel free to correct that information if inaccurate.  Being ~15 years ago and how exactly those games were distributed is not a strong memory for me.

5 hours ago, Jaden (JRH) said:

I didn't count the high score cartridge since that's not a game, but a utility. However, I was completely unaware of a Halloween cartridge. I'll have to look into that a bit.

Here's the link to the original thread: https://atariage.com/forums/topic/112011-it-is-coming-at-halloween/

• Like 1

I've decided to broaden the scope of the project, and now include all kinds of different cartridges. Not just homebrews are accounted for, but also ROM hacks, demos, utilities, and reproductions. Of course, I'm still looking for games that were actually sold in some large amount. This doesn't include one of a kind custom cartridges, which I feel would be do difficult to document (unless someone else wants to prove me wrong on that).

The spreadsheet is still very much a work in progress, but I hope you guys like what's here so far. And I'm hoping that members here will get some use out of this information.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TWG0W3bmlJrtGmO5p9rLiCwYUyXIF4uqqOveJMSqeKI/edit?usp=sharing

• Like 4

@Jaden (JRH) Some possible additions for your spreadsheet.  Btw, thank you for creating this.

ROM Hacks

Kessel Attack (Asteroids Hack)

Star Wars 7800 (Xevious Hack) 

Upcoming Releases

E.X.O.

Book Carts (maybe a new tab?)

E.T. (Mentioned in @Cousin Vinnie Video ~23:07 mark)

The Journey Of Snail

Kessel Attack.jpg 

Star Wars 7800.jpg

E.T..jpg

The Journey Of Snail.jpg

• Like 5

On 6/5/2021 at 2:20 PM, sramirez2008 said:

@Jaden (JRH) Some possible additions for your spreadsheet.  Btw, thank you for creating this.

ROM Hacks

Kessel Attack (Asteroids Hack)

Star Wars 7800 (Xevious Hack) 

Upcoming Releases

E.X.O.

Book Carts (maybe a new tab?)

E.T. (Mentioned in @Cousin Vinnie Video ~23:07 mark)

The Journey Of Snail

Kessel Attack.jpg 

Star Wars 7800.jpg

E.T..jpg

The Journey Of Snail.jpg

WANT

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/2/2021 at 6:31 PM, Jaden (JRH) said:

Oh wow, didn't know about these either! If the game inside is the same as the standard Baby Pac-Man release, then I don't think I'll be counting this as a separate entry. But still, these look great. I'll at least make a note of it on the spreadsheet.

Late reply, but since I didn't see it clarified elsewhere: the game in the Baby Pac-Man carts is a 7800 port of the 1982 hybrid video / pinball game released by Bally/Midway.  It's unrelated to the graphics hack version by the same name from many years prior.

FWIW, the 7800 port of the arcade game is currently the only port there is on any platform.  Definitely a unique point for inclusion :-D

• Thanks 1

I mean, the artwork on those is the same as the regular Baby Pac-Man cartridge on the AtariAge store. And these are made by Bob himself. So, I think it's pretty easy to tell that it's not the hacked version.

But still, thanks for clarifying. And thanks for reminding me to get back to work on this.

• 1 year later...
On 6/2/2021 at 5:21 PM, Defender_2600 said:

https://atariage.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1024

"Crazy Otto was developed as an enhancement kit for Pac-man cabinets by General Computer Corporation (GCC). GCC also created an upgrade kit for Missile Command titled Super Missile Command, for which they were sued by Atari, but the suit was dropped and the two companies entered into a business arrangement. GCC went on to develop the arcade games Fight and Quantum for Atari, as well as games for the Atari 2600, 5200 and 7800 game consoles.

As a drop-in upgrade for Pac-Man, Crazy Otto brought many changes to the game, although basic gameplay remained the same. Most notable is the main character (Crazy Otto) had legs and blue eyes. The monsters also have feet, as well as animated antennae. Other changes included new mazes, music, sound effects, and bonus fruit. Otto and his female counterpart were featured in three new intermissions, the last of which shows the arrival of baby Crazy Otto, "Junior".

In October 1981 Crazy Otto was licensed to Midway, who had the rights to produce Pac-Man in North America. The only changes between Crazy Otto and Pac-Man are the visual representation of characters and various text strings. The decision was made to use the female character as the protagonist, and the game was renamed to Ms. Pac-Man. Ms. Pac-Man went on to become the most successful American-produced arcade game, selling 115,000 cabinets.

Atari 7800 programmer Robert DeCrescenzo has taken Atari's version of Ms. Pac-Man for the 7800 and updated the graphics to match the Crazy Otto arcade game."

Screenshot_20210602-172519.thumb.png.9ae6b17bea8426ed85bf7c2ee17ca8d1.png

This story reminds me about of the ‘after’deal betweeb between nintendo & falcon in wich was allowed to distribute their donkeykong clone called crazykong in europe in order to meet the demand for it,but once falcon were also sneaking distributed their game clone trough subsidaries in the us & japan,nintendo broked the contract with falcon and sewed them for contract infrightment and they were no longer allowed to even distribute their clone game in europe either,around 100.000 crazykong cabinets were confiscated by the state including sold cabinets and cabinets wich were only shipped.

• Like 2