IGNORED

Robot Army Pre-order (70 Copies)

I think I found a bug. 

On multiple occasions it tells me "Coin detected in pocket" but I have yet to find that coin in my pocket.

Work-a-rounds are unplugging the Intellivoice or putting a coin in my pocket.

I have not got over 4700 points yet.  My old man skills betray me but I am enjoying this 'quick pick up and play' game.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

On 11/26/2022 at 12:42 PM, Sinjinhawke said:

The voices are really good in this game.  Some of the clearest voices I have ever heard in an Intellivoice game.

Can you or would you please post a YouTube short that lets us hear the actual voices. Some of us don't own the game but are still interested in the extent that games have evolved into.

Thanks,

HJ

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Humblejack said:

Can you or would you please post a YouTube short that lets us hear the actual voices. Some of us don't own the game but are still interested in the extent that games have evolved into.

Thanks,

HJ

I'm not really set-up to capture video and audio so I used my phone.  Hopefully you can make this play.  You may need to download first.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, DZ-Jay said:

Are those samples taken from the original Robotron?

I believe they are all new voices since William wrote

"Robot Army is holding things up because we are in the process of creating the Intellivoice data in order to replace the phoneme voices currently in the game with encoded human voices. Getting the tools to do this was delayed. We have only started to encode our voices. It is NOT a trivial matter to create voice data for the Intellivoice, and the process has a steep learning curve. "

46 minutes ago, Humblejack said:

Thank you. This does have a bit more sound detail that the old intellivoice.

What do you mean? The old Intellivoice games use encoded human voices (Articulatory Synthesis), while these are completely artificial robot voices (Format Synthesis).

Don't get me wrong, for robot voices, they sound very cool, but they're still synthetic.

Do you mean that the robot voices sound better than the ones in recent homebrews?  That's probably because these are using formant synthesis, which allows for variable pitch and timbre; and the other ones use allophones, which are a set of pre-recorded samples at a static pitch and timbre.

In any case, I agree, they sound very good.

27 minutes ago, Sinjinhawke said:

I believe they are all new voices since William wrote

"Robot Army is holding things up because we are in the process of creating the Intellivoice data in order to replace the phoneme voices currently in the game with encoded human voices. Getting the tools to do this was delayed. We have only started to encode our voices. It is NOT a trivial matter to create voice data for the Intellivoice, and the process has a steep learning curve. "

That may be, but they are the same as the samples from the original Berzerk arcade game (I said "Robotron" before, but I meant Berzerk).  Perhaps what William meant was that the samples needed to be encoded for the Intellivoice?  (Also, he probably meant "allophones" and not "phonemes."  A "phoneme" is an individual unit of sound in a word (the "p" in "pot" and "cap"); while an "allophone" is an individual articulation of a sound (the aspirated plosive "t" for "top" is different than the unaspirated one for "stop.")

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay

2 minutes ago, Sinjinhawke said:

For me I was comparing it to Wizard of Wor (which is one of my favourite Intellivision ports ever).  I just cannot understand the voices in that game.  It's night and day in clarity.  Maybe because the phrases are simpler in Robot Army but I am just gamer and not a developer so I cannot speak to it.

Yeah, it's the type of voice synthesis method used.  The one in Robot Army (like Berzerk) uses voices generated algorithmically, so they get varied tones within them, giving them inflection and human-like qualities, even though they still sound synthetic.  The ones in Wizard of Wor are voices generated by stringing together a set of pre-recorded samples for sounds that form words.  Because the samples were all done at the same tone, the entire thing is a monotone voice and lacks inflection and other qualities.

Anyway, yes I agree, the ones in Robot Army are of higher quality.  I wish the mechanisms used to add them to the game were available more generally.  :)

-dZ.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Games For Your Intellivision said:

I think that he meant 'Frenzy'. Berzerk and Frenzy were the two arcade games. No samples of those games were taken. The voices were done by a voice actor and encoded for use on the Intellivoice. 

I meant Berzerk, I corrected it in my later post.  I just couldn't edit the previous one.  (For some reason, you can't edit after a few minutes in this forum now.)

3 hours ago, Games For Your Intellivision said:

They are human voices, done by a voice actor and encoded into Intellivoice data. Credits for the voice actor are in the manual. 

Cool.  I just heard them again and they do sound like a person.  Sorry, it was the bad video recording that makes it sound a little tinny in my crappy speakers.  Still, they are the phrases from Berzerk.

-dZ.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, swlovinist said:

Are these still available to purchase?   What is the best contact for people who are interested?

Unfortunately, there are no cartridges to make more copies. We expect to have cartridges in six months to a year and intend to make more copies available when we can. 

• Like 1

• 11 months later...