IGNORED

Adding GOG or other games to AtariOS?

leech

Has anyone attempted to do something like this?  I haven't really had the time to poke, but if we could get native (or maybe 'port' Lutris / Proton) GOG support in AtariOS, it'd beef up the library a little bit, and make GOG have a bigger use for the plethora of games I've purchased there.

How incredibly sexy would the VCS be, actually, if you could  just put in your GOG credentials, and have it download games purchased from your library for play on the system?  It kind of seems like a match made in heaven, right?  CDProjekt should listen to my whims!

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, leech said:

Has anyone attempted to do something like this?  I haven't really had the time to poke, but if we could get native (or maybe 'port' Lutris / Proton) GOG support in AtariOS, it'd beef up the library a little bit, and make GOG have a bigger use for the plethora of games I've purchased there.

How incredibly sexy would the VCS be, actually, if you could  just put in your GOG credentials, and have it download games purchased from your library for play on the system?  It kind of seems like a match made in heaven, right?  CDProjekt should listen to my whims!

Adding more items directly to the Atari VCS Dashboard won't work because there is a validity check on them, and
that's related to the security features of the system. However, Atari have said that they plan to add a home-brew
support feature to the console, and I do believe that this is one of the things they are working on adding currently.

At that point, adding other games from other sources, will be possible, but it will be distinct to the "curated" store.
A key point there is that older games may not work with the joysticks, but probably support them in Xbox mode.

For now, I am also launching GOG games via Windows 10, via Ubuntu 20.04, via the PC-Mode option of using my
own O/S installs, of course. So far, my whole library runs, because usually I'm buying games on a budget anyway,
and so I prefer GOG over Steam (and it's damn frequent updates), Itch.IO, Itch.IO, and GameJolt. Patience pays! 

My guess is there will be a new "Open-Mode", where a game can be run from secondary media, in a safe container
of sorts, and extra libraries and paths can be set to that. That's just like how the shipped games run anyway, now,
but games need that security authentication, like an apparmor type setup, and that can be taken much further.

I can understand though that the primary aim would be to add enhancements to the current system to make more
games run from AtariOS, with less effort by developers, and more ability for developers to push updates to games,
and from that, support for end-user installs may follow. Yeah, people said I'm crazy, but I'm not the only one. ;-)

20 hours ago, justclaws said:

Adding more items directly to the Atari VCS Dashboard won't work because there is a validity check on them, and
that's related to the security features of the system. However, Atari have said that they plan to add a home-brew
support feature to the console, and I do believe that this is one of the things they are working on adding currently.

At that point, adding other games from other sources, will be possible, but it will be distinct to the "curated" store.
A key point there is that older games may not work with the joysticks, but probably support them in Xbox mode.

For now, I am also launching GOG games via Windows 10, via Ubuntu 20.04, via the PC-Mode option of using my
own O/S installs, of course. So far, my whole library runs, because usually I'm buying games on a budget anyway,
and so I prefer GOG over Steam (and it's damn frequent updates), Itch.IO, Itch.IO, and GameJolt. Patience pays! 

My guess is there will be a new "Open-Mode", where a game can be run from secondary media, in a safe container
of sorts, and extra libraries and paths can be set to that. That's just like how the shipped games run anyway, now,
but games need that security authentication, like an apparmor type setup, and that can be taken much further.

I can understand though that the primary aim would be to add enhancements to the current system to make more
games run from AtariOS, with less effort by developers, and more ability for developers to push updates to games,
and from that, support for end-user installs may follow. Yeah, people said I'm crazy, but I'm not the only one. ;-)

Does make the system feel more PC-like.  I would like to see them allow a developer mode so that any random person can code for it and then they could have a QA department okay such things and really target the Indie developers.  Though I think they REALLY need to have a departnent that targets the Linux native games to get them released in their store (like Dead Cells, Hollow Knight, etc).  These would basically be zero effort (or near enough) 'ports'.

• Like 1