IGNORED

"Whoa... color!" - the official Game Gear thread!

That GameGear DS bit probably is the conversion of SMS Advance to the DS version isn't it?  I've got a very similar card because the setup was a huge PITA and wasn't working nice for me, so I had someone do a custom NeoGeo one using NeoDS v.21(final release) with every MVS cart on it and it runs fantastic.  I do have a GG/SMS one, the far better 100in1 for GBA than the crappy 108 out there now with a terrible game list compared which is just shockingly dumb.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My local record store (that also sells video games) sold me all 16 of their Game Gear games for $30. Plus 7 or 8 cartridge cases. Nothing too spectacular, unless you count 3 copies of Lion King as spectacular, but I did get some games I did not have.

I figured they were just as happy to clear out some stock that never sells as I was to get the games. There is just not a lot of demand for Game Gear games in Lubbock, Texas. I also picked up the A Boy and His Blob sequel on the Game Boy.

• Like 1

I just went through everything and it was actually 19 games, 10 game cases, and a Game Boy game case.  The Game Boy game was separate from the $30, I paid $4 for it.

Of the 19 games, I already had only 3 games: Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Taz-Mania, and the aforementioned 3 copies of The Lion King.

The games that were new to me were Ecco: The Tides of Time, Ayrton Senna's Super Monaco GP II, Super Columns, World Series Baseball, Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers, Jurassic Park, WWF Wrestlemania Steel Cage Challenge, The Majors Pro Baseball, Madden NFL '95, Poker Face Paul's Poker, George Foreman's KO Boxing, PGA Tour Golf II, Garfield: Caught in the Act, and Sonic the Hedgehog Chaos.

So I definitely got a good deal even with the glut of sports games.  Of course I have not tested any of the games yet, but I am sure they will all work.

I bought another couple of Game Gear games today. This time I got Kawasaki Superbike Challenge (I had the manual and wanted the game to go with it) and Lemmings.  I did not get a great deal or anything, but I got 20% off the sticker price which was about what they were going for.

I am curious how the Game Gear and Lynx versions of Lemmings compare to each other.

I remember talking with @Igor about writing up exactly that article, but I haven’t yet…

Basically the Game Gear levels are rather dumbed down, but it might be a smidge more playable as a result. They both assume you’re trying to do something dumb a lot but the Lynx version punishes you more for it. At least that’s my recollection. I like them both but I have gotten further in the Game Gear one. (Then again, that was my original introduction to Lemmings.)

• Like 2

I saw cool news over on SMSPower. Preorders are open for Dracula no Shiro (Dracula’s Castle), one of the first homebrew releases on physical cartridge (maybe only the second after Hamburgers En Route to Switzerland?) and I think the first to be released in a complete box set. The deluxe release is in a North American / Kid’s Gear style box and the normal release is in a standard Japanese size box. They won’t ship internationally but I ordered through ZenMarket.

https://www.gameimpact.info/draculagg

It appears to be a single screen Bubble Bobble type game. The Game Boy version seemed well received.

• Thanks 1

Wait, it's a Gameboy game too?  I've never heard of this.  Looking at their site, it seems they've milked a lot of variations of that one game.  Also they have some other interesting looking mostly Gameboy stuff too.  Shame they don't sell beyond local borders reading through it.  I imagine someone out there probably has or would dump the roms though.

• Like 1

A new Game Gear game has been found! Like the very fun and playable and seemingly complete WildSnake, it’s another not-Tetris developed by Realtime Associates under the banner of Alexei Pajitnov, though he had nothing to do with it except celebrity endorsing it:

https://www.smspower.org/forums/18638-UnreleasedBreakThruForTheGameGear

It’s like SameGame/Clicks but with another level of complexity from the movable top row. It’s not a great game, but hey, it’s a game.

14 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

A new Game Gear game has been found! Like the very fun and playable and seemingly complete WildSnake, it’s another not-Tetris developed by Realtime Associates under the banner of Alexei Pajitnov, though he had nothing to do with it except celebrity endorsing it:

https://www.smspower.org/forums/18638-UnreleasedBreakThruForTheGameGear

It’s like SameGame/Clicks but with another level of complexity from the movable top row. It’s not a great game, but hey, it’s a game.

Nice!

• 1 month later...

Anything but a failed system for myself. 

I bought the Game Gear, long before the Lynx and later was given a GB as a gift. 

The LCD screen suffered some chronic ghosting, but the machine was in permanent use thanks to titles like:

G. G Shinobi

Sonic

Lemmings

Wonderboy

Wonderboy Dragon's Trap (sadly i cannot get into this game now, the remake on PS4 etc is leaving me cold) 

It couldn't hope to match the Lynx for sprite scaling or 3D, but with a far wider range of titles, I never felt it really needed to try. 

It was by far the better system if iyou were into Platform games, as I was back then. 

The Lynx was poorly supported for RPG games, you really did need multiple systems back then. 

I didn't go for any of the Streets Of Rage titles on the system, as i didn't want cut down versions. 

I did however go the route of putting on screen magnifiers and using the Master System converter, making it a hefty beast to play for long periods of time ?

Edited by Lostdragon
  • Like 2

On 10/26/2021 at 4:21 AM, akator said:

I ordered a pre-modded with new screen and recapped Game Gear from BennVenn earlier this month.  I'm looking forward to playing a Game Gear with a modern IPS screen.  I'll post pics when it arrives.

Huh, turns out my order is canceled.  I didn't email before placing the order to check availability.  Just putting that out there in case anyone else wants to order from BennVenn, remember to email first to check availability.

It's going to take a couple of days for the money to be refunded to my account.  Not sure if I'm going to reorder from BennVenn or go with another option.