IGNORED

"Whoa... color!" - the official Game Gear thread!

12 hours ago, neogeo1982 said:

Hey can you show one of the shining forces on that? It'd be nice to see how the text and saturation look. Oh, will a master gear fit in that? With something like Phantasy Star? I used to hate how the GG squished the text down using the master gear...

Yes it will! Though you can just run Master System games on an Everdrive or BennVenn flash cart, which might be less risky in terms of strain on the port. I am not very comfortable with the big gap between the back of the Game Gear cartridge and the unit. They might have had to do that for some reason but I wish they had had a plastic riser or something to reduce the likelihood of something acting as a lever. It’s really not safe to put down cartridge side down, IMO.

• Like 1

On 12/18/2021 at 9:36 PM, neogeo1982 said:

Hey can you show one of the shining forces on that? It'd be nice to see how the text and saturation look. Oh, will a master gear fit in that? With something like Phantasy Star? I used to hate how the GG squished the text down using the master gear...

Here are some Shining Force and Phantasy Star Gaiden captures without simulated LCD lines and with.

0DC67D79-9D5A-4915-948D-20B113028EA6.jpeg

36033740-907B-42BC-B8B3-D34B99472F2C.jpeg

69B27C1D-0F50-4A3F-ADB5-5DD9B480EFA3.jpeg

2CAD3269-83AA-49E9-A4B1-51069ECEFB2D.jpeg

• Thanks 1

So people over on an Analogue group were talking about the sharp edge on the Game Gear adapter damaging labels, ans sure enough, my copy of Pop Breaker has a folded back corner now when it didn’t before. I am going to sand down the edge before using it for anything else rare.

A6E1EDBD-5884-4F96-9647-A4A9273D209E.thumb.jpeg.18d126a036b18154fbc68abb725718f2.jpeg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The people who are doing Paprium Mini snuck out a Game Gear RPG-flavored Match 3 game (like good ol’ Puzzle Quest) without me noticing and now it’s sold out ?

1D3A2674-A03A-4DDA-9328-2650095642BB.thumb.png.3c923a4f51f4116f04161d7b6101315b.png

1976CEEF-62A5-46F7-A23D-792C894D2AB8.thumb.png.a72f00da4a8edbd1584c3dddf914eba2.png

https://www.2minds.fr/en/store/heroes-against-demons-game-gear-limited-edition-34.html

It is available to download for free along with a bunch of awesome looking Master System games!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am starting to understand Heroes Against Demons. I have learned not to just blindly match 3 but I am still figuring out what order I should do them in. There is a lot I still don’t understand. I really ought to read the manual. I made it to the Daemon with the knight character - I wonder how far that was.

My only real complaint is that there are no points and there is no indication of how much progress you made. The only indication is how many foes you defeated, which doesn’t necessarily tell you how well you played.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up some new Game Gear stuff today from one of the local game stores. I got X-Men with manual, Surf Ninjas with manual, and a manual for Sonic Chaos. The prices were average, but I could not pass up on Game Gear manuals. They actually have a couple more games and maybe one more manual I need. I might go get those too. I am a sucker for manuals and Game Gear manuals can be hard to find, although none of these games are rare.

I played both games a little. In X-Men I could not figure out how to get out of the first area, so Surf Ninjas got more play time. Surf Ninjas was not bad. I think I made it to the second level, but I am not sure.  It has been a long time since I have seen the Surf Ninjas movie, but I distinctly remember the kid playing a Game Gear quite a bit in the movie.

• Like 1

Surf Ninjas is an under the radar fun game. It really looks terrific and it plays well.

X-Men is better than it seems at first. If you start in the Hellfire Club, make sure you use the elevators - they’re not just decorative. Also you can choose your character and stage, so maybe don’t start in the Hellfire Club.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

Surf Ninjas is an under the radar fun game. It really looks terrific and it plays well.

X-Men is better than it seems at first. If you start in the Hellfire Club, make sure you use the elevators - they’re not just decorative. Also you can choose your character and stage, so maybe don’t start in the Hellfire Club.

I figured out you could change characters, but not levels.  It did look like the Hellfire Club and there were elevators, but I could not figure out how to get in them.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, jeremiahjt said:

I figured out you could change characters, but not levels.  It did look like the Hellfire Club and there were elevators, but I could not figure out how to get in them.

I don’t remember if it’s up, down, or one of the action buttons, but at least some of the elevators work!

• Like 1

Well I went back today and got the rest of the stuff I did not have: Ariel: Disney's The Little Mermaid with manual, Tom and Jerry: The Movie with manual, and manuals for Madden NFL '95 and World Series Baseball.  Unfortunately it looks like Tom and Jerry: The Movie is the first dead Game Gear cartridge I have ever come across.  I get the licensing screen, but after that it is nothing but black screen.  Sometimes I get some garbled sound that sounds more like interference than anything from a game.  I have cleaned it enough that my cotton swabs show nothing on them afterwards.  I guess I will return it for some store credit, but I am keeping the manual and the case.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jeremiahjt said:

Unfortunately it looks like Tom and Jerry: The Movie is the first dead Game Gear cartridge I have ever come across.  I get the licensing screen, but after that it is nothing but black screen.  Sometimes I get some garbled sound that sounds more like interference than anything from a game.  I have cleaned it enough that my cotton swabs show nothing on them afterwards.  I guess I will return it for some store credit, but I am keeping the manual and the case.

Too weird! I have a dead Tom and Jerry too! The Game Gear cartridge slot design is the worst for damaging pads - try to pull the cartridge out a little and push one side down more than the other. But I suspect Tom and Jerry may have just had production problems.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OK, I won't get Tom and Jerry then.

I went back and fixed some graphic glitches I had with HERTS3. I'm working with Context and assembly to make this because that's what the smspower guide told me to get started with a long time ago before anything else, and I've used this ever since.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, atari2600land said:

What's the difference between Tails Adventure and Tails Sky Patrol?

Tails' Adventure is an honest-to-goodness Metroidvania with vehicular sequences. It might be the most "modern" game on the Game Gear.

Tails' Sky Patrol is an arcade puzzle-shmup-dodge-em-up thing. It's really hard but it's very rewarding. All they have in common is Tails.

• Like 1