IGNORED

"Whoa... color!" - the official Game Gear thread!

On 3/25/2022 at 9:07 PM, jeremiahjt said:

Well I went back today and got the rest of the stuff I did not have: Ariel: Disney's The Little Mermaid with manual, Tom and Jerry: The Movie with manual, and manuals for Madden NFL '95 and World Series Baseball.  Unfortunately it looks like Tom and Jerry: The Movie is the first dead Game Gear cartridge I have ever come across.  I get the licensing screen, but after that it is nothing but black screen.  Sometimes I get some garbled sound that sounds more like interference than anything from a game.  I have cleaned it enough that my cotton swabs show nothing on them afterwards.  I guess I will return it for some store credit, but I am keeping the manual and the case.

Well I took the Tom and Jerry: The Movie cartridge back and they gave me a whopping $5 of credit. I ended up picking up Stargate and Arcade Classics. They both seemed priced under the going rate. Hopefully they both work.

• Like 1

Stargate is a little boring and a little frustrating but I still like it a lot. Once you get used to the pictographs and can discern them at the bottom of the well it gets easier. It would be so much better if it supported diagonals and horizontal groups. But I have still sunk some serious time into it.

Arcade Classics is pretty great. I have no real complaints given the limitations of a digital d pad.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, electricmastro said:

The Bust-A-Move series continuing to be worthwhile, but also underappreciated, with its GameGear entry:

I think I’ve finished more games in the Bust-a-Move series than any other series, but this one was a lot of fun. The later games get too complicated.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Sonic Chaos is stupid. I can't even beat it with a Game Genie. That's how hard it is. I got to Electric Egg Zone before I had to give up because it's that hard. Why do they have to make games so stupid hard? This compels me to continue work on games I'D enjoy, like the burger one. Something I can actually BEAT.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, atari2600land said:

Sonic Chaos is stupid. I can't even beat it with a Game Genie. That's how hard it is. I got to Electric Egg Zone before I had to give up because it's that hard. Why do they have to make games so stupid hard? This compels me to continue work on games I'D enjoy, like the burger one. Something I can actually BEAT.

Sonic Chaos was the first video game I ever finished. It was also the only Sonic game besides Triple Trouble that I finished with all the Chaos Emeralds.

• Like 1

I'm sorry. I got so angered by my inability to beat certain games. Sonic is one series that I find really hard. I can beat Mario games just fine, but perhaps that's because I grew up with them. I just never grew up with Sonic. I never had a Genesis until I was an adult.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, atari2600land said:

I'm sorry. I got so angered by my inability to beat certain games. Sonic is one series that I find really hard. I can beat Mario games just fine, but perhaps that's because I grew up with them. I just never grew up with Sonic. I never had a Genesis until I was an adult.

Hey, I only beat Super Mario Bros for the first time like five years ago :)

• Like 3

I'm back working on my Game Gear game again.

One of the things I needed to do was up the noise volume on some of the tracks. Since I didn't want the volume on full blast (15), I think I settled on 12, at least on the title screen song's main melody (when it's not fading out.) Now all works fine on a real Game Gear. Next thing to do is work on level 3 and adding those chicken nuggets back in. Now I want ten levels, but I'm not sure I have enough room or if I need to up the size again. The game is at 128KB in size, but five banks are completely empty as of today.

• Thanks 1

A side project:

yum16gg.png.a4f9bb764d7e6dad01e2e36a1464984e.png yum16gg2.png.c2ee521f50b2fa6a807c715d6471f8d2.png

There weren't a lot of Game Gear games. The Game Boy's strength was its library. Which makes me wonder why so many publishers put stuff on the Game Boy and not the Game Gear even though the Game Gear's strengths were its graphics and color. I know, I had a Game Boy as a kid, but only because I started my gaming life with an NES (and before that a Commodore 64), but had I known there was a color portable handheld device, I would have wanted it.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, atari2600land said:

A side project:

yum16gg.png.a4f9bb764d7e6dad01e2e36a1464984e.png yum16gg2.png.c2ee521f50b2fa6a807c715d6471f8d2.png

There weren't a lot of Game Gear games. The Game Boy's strength was its library. Which makes me wonder why so many publishers put stuff on the Game Boy and not the Game Gear even though the Game Gear's strengths were its graphics and color. I know, I had a Game Boy as a kid, but only because I started my gaming life with an NES (and before that a Commodore 64), but had I known there was a color portable handheld device, I would have wanted it.

The Lynx existed before the Game Gear. Even the Turbo Express was released before the Game Gear.

• Like 1

The reason was the prices, it was slightly higher on games, largely higher on buying the actual handheld, and then the support of it over the months/years with 6AAs lasting 3-4hrs or 4AAs lasting like 20+.  Buying a color system was a blood (money) sucking pit, a luxury item.  Couple that with Nintendo having the amazing licensees the others didn't in the back half of the 1980s almost all to their own meant they got the best games, and the best spinoffs, sequels, and semi-ports of NES games on the go.  IT doesn't take a genius to figure out why the color systems didn't do well.  More money to buy, more money (rapidly) to keep powered, and slightly(maybe?) more money on the games too...games that rarely had a game also on the venerable NES.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

Plus many older people played the Game Boy and its lineup of brain games/puzzlers. I will say based on my Game Gear collection it was very popular with medical professionals due to all of the excellent golf sims.

They probably had a bit more money too to afford all the batteries. Me? I just kept mine plugged into the wall and only played it right before bed.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Rhomaios said:

They probably had a bit more money too to afford all the batteries. Me? I just kept mine plugged into the wall and only played it right before bed.

Agreed, GB was more all ages, but seemingly more GG use seemed to be of a slightly older age averages wise, first job, college, adult where eating AAs wasn't as much an issue.  I was 12 when it came out and I got one, and I could scavenge up batteries at times, but otherwise I was either tethered in home to the official gb rechargeable battery either on AC or off on the go to save a bunch and put that $ to another game.  I liked the fact for the price of a NES game I could get like 2 GB titles and with many having franchise overlap.

• Like 1