IGNORED

Pocket Computer 2 & 3 vs 6 & 7

KG7PFS

There's a TON of software for the TRS-80 Pocket Computer 1/3 and 2. Is there any software at all for the Pocket Computer 5,6, or 7? I haven't seen any on eBay or in any Radio Shack catalog.

The PC-2 has graphics and a color printer. Do the PC-5,6, or 7 have any features the PC-1/2/3 don't have?

Most of my collection is CoCo 3/ Model 200 and contemporary hardware. In this case, it actually looks like the Pocket Computer line went downhill after the 3A and I'm better off going back a generation. (No offence intended if you happen to be a PC-5/6/7 fan.)

Not that I can recall. If memory serves, software was primarily written for their PC-1/3 and PC-2. Tandy used two manufactures for their Pocket Computer line. Sharp and Casio. Wiki has a general reference page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tandy_Pocket_Computer

The TRS-80 PC-2 (aka) Sharp PC-1500/1500A were the most powerful Pocket Computers Tandy carried. Sharp also had the PC-1600 which was even better and bigger. But, Tandy didn't include it in their line-up. 

I agree with you that after the PC-2 (in my opinion), the pocket computer line went more light weighted and more towards the scientific calculator market, instead of portable computing. I have both the PC-1 and Sharp 1211, and the PC-2. 

I have 11 out of the 20 published software titles for the PC-1. I think that I am missing a couple for the PC-2. 

Michael

On 6/2/2021 at 8:34 PM, KG7PFS said:

There's a TON of software for the TRS-80 Pocket Computer 1/3 and 2. Is there any software at all for the Pocket Computer 5,6, or 7? I haven't seen any on eBay or in any Radio Shack catalog.

The PC-2 has graphics and a color printer. Do the PC-5,6, or 7 have any features the PC-1/2/3 don't have?

Most of my collection is CoCo 3/ Model 200 and contemporary hardware. In this case, it actually looks like the Pocket Computer line went downhill after the 3A and I'm better off going back a generation. (No offence intended if you happen to be a PC-5/6/7 fan.)

Radio Shack went out of business quite a few years ago.  Their IP was bought up by a company that sells cheap Chinese junk with a "Radio Shack" badge on it, but even though they own the IP for everything, they're not interested in any of it.  They only want the name really, to badge garbage with it and sell it online.

• Like 1

On 6/6/2021 at 8:34 AM, John_L said:

Radio Shack went out of business quite a few years ago.  Their IP was bought up by a company that sells cheap Chinese junk with a "Radio Shack" badge on it, but even though they own the IP for everything, they're not interested in any of it.  They only want the name really, to badge garbage with it and sell it online.

What does this have to do with Pocket Computers sold in the 1980's?