IGNORED

Altirra and the 1030 Modem

pmgraphics

• 1 month later...

In the 1030 modem options screen what is required to get online, or are there settings I need to configure elsewhere in Altirra to get online? Is it possible to use the Telelink 1.bin or Telelink 2.bin cartridge dumps to actually connect to services? It's all about doing something that I never got to do back in the 80s.

Screenshot 2021-07-14 081508.png

• 1 month later...

You will want to use 1030 Express, not the Telelink Carts.    The Atari 1030 was limited to 300 baud.  I have never used Altirra (yet) to connect to a BBS, but When I do, I will use either the 850 or ATR-8000 over the 1030 for the faster speed.  One thing I can tell you, is that it will not "dial out" like it did in the old days.    It will use Telnet.  I believe a special version of BobTerm is needed if memory serves.

There was a stand alone program for windows that was really easy to use.   I forget the name of it, but it did full AtAscii, and you could set the baud rate as fast or as slow as you want.

Memory is getting bad with old age, hopefully some veterans on here can point you in the right direction.

EDIT:  Now that I think about it....  I did use BobTerm with Altrirra to get on some boards....   But it has been a very long time ago.

I think this is what you are looking for......       http://blizzardofzeros.com/emulation-atari8bit-altirra-telnet/index.html

If you want to see what it was REALLY like....   Start the way most of us did.  Start at 300 baud, then 1200, then 2400.

EDIT:  OK, You got me thinking about it, so I had to do it.   I used 850 Express 1.1.   I called the Basement BBS which was LOCAL to me in the Cleveland area in the 80s.   He has since moved to Oregon and reserected the board.  Give him a shot!!

https://www.telnetbbsguide.com/bbs/basement-bbs/

Edited by scotty