IGNORED

2021 Harmony Games-Final round-DogGone it

Dan Iacovelli

Time to announce the forth and final game of  the 2021 Harmony Games Tournament which is
Doggone it by
Andrew Pauley (Armscar Coder) which won Best Original game in the
3rd Annual Atari Homebrew Awards. We are using the latest Rom:
Doggone_It!.bin

Simple rules play until you loose your lives (the left difficulty switch only turns off the foot steps of hank)
Post your Scores in this thread only I will update the Scores in this post
and at Atari video Club website Harmony games Page
Point scoring: top 10: 10 (for first) to 2(for tenth) 1 for everybody after 10.
This round starts on June 8th at noon Central time and ends July 12th at 2pm Central
Name : score : Points
--------------------------------------

@Jason_Atari Jason : 46,236 10pts
@Armscar Coder Andrew P: 45,176  9pts

@cwieland Charles W: 37,332 8pts
@ZeroPage Homebrew James O:  31,575     7pts
@ZeroPage Homebrew Tanya O : 28,160        6pts                       

Edited by Dan Iacovelli
Score added 7/6/21

I thought I would go ahead and start things off, even though it has been about a month since I last played it.  I was a little rusty, as this is about 9,000 off of my personal best.  And I believe this was the first time I ever ended the game on level 1.  As you can see, I was just a few steps away from delivering the last package.  Doggone It!

@Dan Iacovelli, thanks for organizing the Harmony Games and I wish everyone luck delivering your packages.  It's getting late for me tonight, but I will try to post some hints and suggestions in the next couple of days.

1129229920_DoggoneIt!45176.thumb.jpeg.b41622df121f1fa59a85530350b3f387.jpeg

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Armscar Coder said:

I thought I would go ahead and start things off, even though it has been about a month since I last played it.  I was a little rusty, as this is about 9,000 off of my personal best.  And I believe this was the first time I ever ended the game on level 1.  As you can see, I was just a few steps away from delivering the last package.  Doggone It!

@Dan Iacovelli, thanks for organizing the Harmony Games and I wish everyone luck delivering your packages.  It's getting late for me tonight, but I will try to post some hints and suggestions in the next couple of days.

1129229920_DoggoneIt!45176.thumb.jpeg.b41622df121f1fa59a85530350b3f387.jpeg

great score just upadted

Attached is the full manual for anyone that hasn't downloaded it from the Doggone It! forum.  That will cover the basic elements and explanation of gameplay.

Doggone It! Manual.pdf

A few general tips and hints:

1) When going for a high score, always end a level with a stored power-up in the power pocket.  There is a 1,000 point bonus for carrying the power-up to the next level and you get to keep the power-up.  There are some strategies of trying to get a certain power-up before the harder levels by using a stored power-up and utilizing the second Crazy Culvert Kitty to get a new one, but for scoring, any power-up is better than no power-up carried over.

2) For levels 1 and 3, when delivering packages it is safest to go to the outside, around the obstacles, but it takes more time.  In early rounds, you should be able to go more in the middle without too much trouble.  Minimizing your delivery time will maximize your truck bonus points.

3) On level 2, you have to use the gong in the faster dog levels to be successful.  Striking the gong will pause the therapy dogs momentarily and you can walk through them without losing your package for this brief moment.  It is usually best to enter the hospital from the top middle.  Most often striking the top of the gong is the easiest, but if you can strike the side you should be able to reach the closest doctor's office safely before the gong time expires.  If you want to strike the gong again, you have to leave the hospital and reenter before doing so.

4) Avoiding the dogs when you return to the truck (and don't have a package) is usually not worth it.  There is a slight time penalty as Hank freezes briefly when touched by a dog.  But even when frozen once, it is usually quicker to go more of a direct path towards the truck rather than the long way around.  When the dogs get really fast, you can get stuck by by them constantly running over you and freezing you, but for the early and middle rounds I would suggest going straight for the truck and avoiding the dogs as much as convenient.

5) The dog movements left to right are random (except the first movement at the beginning of the level) but the up and down direction are more predictable.  The dogs will always go up/down to the highest/lowest position before switching their vertical direction.

6) When you have the x2 double package power-up, try to activate it right before you deliver a package.  In most cases you have time to go and get a second package and deliver it before the power-up time runs out.  In this case you deliver four packages for the time it takes to deliver two, getting you more truck bonus points and you get more points for the packages themselves (500 points for each delivery during the x2 power-up rather than the 2 x 200 for 400 points).

@Rogerpoco and @Jason_Atari had a real duel this past fall playing Doggone It! as part of the 2600 High Score Club.  They kept one upping each other and it was a blast to watch them go back and forth.  Rogerpoco came out on top in the end with a score of around 61,000.  He later achieved a score of just over 63,000.  My personal best is around 54,000 and I have tried many times to get close to Roger, but to no avail.  I believe his score will stand for a good long while.

Good luck to everyone!  Feel free to ask any additional questions and please share your own tips!  What I learned from these guys I mentioned above is that there is always more to learn.

- Andrew

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing Doggone It! on tomorrow's (Tue Jul 6, 2021) stream LIVE on Twitch at 6PM PT | 9PM ET | 1AM GMT+1Day! Hope everyone can watch!

Games:

After Dark:

1800948432_20210706-LetsPlay.thumb.jpg.da00a040a96a7f7ec8f714ff902ccbaf.jpg  910382885_20210706-LetsPlay-AfterDark.thumb.jpg.d8688daf6ebadbd1c9ee3dea54044ca8.jpg

• Like 2

On 7/5/2021 at 5:28 PM, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing Doggone It! on tomorrow's (Tue Jul 6, 2021) stream LIVE on Twitch at 6PM PT | 9PM ET | 1AM GMT+1Day! Hope everyone can watch!

Games:

After Dark:

1800948432_20210706-LetsPlay.thumb.jpg.da00a040a96a7f7ec8f714ff902ccbaf.jpg  910382885_20210706-LetsPlay-AfterDark.thumb.jpg.d8688daf6ebadbd1c9ee3dea54044ca8.jpg

Scores updated from last night good job

• Thanks 1