IGNORED

Playing Final Fantasy 1 need help

6 hours ago, bradhig1 said:

I have a fighter ,white mage ,black mage , and black belt at level 9.    Can't figure what armor and weapons are best for all but the fighter.   Is there a better way to read pdf files because Microsoft Edge won't let me zoom in far enough to read the small text?

Magic users can use bracelets, shirts, caps, and robes.  Mages can use daggers, I think.  Clerics use hammers.

Have you downloaded Adobe Acrobat Reader?  That's pretty much the gold standard for PDF readers, considering it's made by the company that controls the PDF format.

4 hours ago, 7800Knight said:

Yep, around Elfland, the Black Belt can just drop weapons in favor of his fists.  As the game progresses and after being promoted, the Black Belt/Master becomes capable of dishing out lots of damage!

Yeah, though make sure it has magic defense before the class change, because:

"Due to a bug, Black Belts gain +4 Magic Defense per level, but Master actually
gain considerably less, +1. It is thus advantageous to hold off on class change
for a Black Belt."

Once you get the Crown in the Marsh Cave, you can return later to level up, get more money and get the rest of the treasure.  In fact, that might be a good thing to do before you duke it out with Astos or move onto Melmond after giving the TNT to the dwarf digging the canal.

The Marsh Cave has some good loot there like gold, the Copper Bracelet and Silver Bracelet.

That or go to that well documented peninsula, with some tents (to save more walks) and just pummel trolls and bulls, get your level up to some stupid high point after a few hours of mind numbing grinding, and then you can just hand astos his asstos along with clearing the fairly annoying marsh cave on the first pass and so on depending how far you drove those levels up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/9/2021 at 7:29 PM, 7800Knight said:

Yep, around Elfland, the Black Belt can just drop weapons in favor of his fists.  As the game progresses and after being promoted, the Black Belt/Master becomes capable of dishing out lots of damage!

I just looked at the game mechanics FAQ (the technical description of what happens inside of the game).  Turns out, if you have a party of BB's, you should NEVER class change.  The stat gains are exactly the same, except for the bug where Masters gain less magic defense.  Masters have no advantages over BB's in any other category either.  Combat:  Same.  Weapons/armor:  Same (fists, naked).  At best, you look a little less chibi than before.

Of course you can still troll the Castle of Ordeals for all it's worth.  Just don't trade in that token of courage.

Now, for other classes, of course there are reasons to class change.

5 hours ago, 7800Knight said:

I have beaten the NES version a few times.  About a year ago, I got the PS1 remake which also contains the NES Final Fantasy 2.  It seems to be harder as I keep losing against Chaos.  I may have to go back and try to beat it as well as take another crack at FF2.

No you're right as is.  The meddled in two directions with FF1 as that version was further yet refined for the GBA combo cart FF1+2 Dawn of Souls.  They raised the XP and GP you get from fights as it was a well known deal the game aged painfully so for the creep factor of insane amounts of grinding for it, but equally so because of the painful magic/combat system uniqueness too which would be the 1-8 levels of magic with X uses and then combat where idiot team mates swing at dead air instead of re-targeting new enemies in a fight.

All that was cleaned up, but because they made the fighting less awful having a real MP system and re-targeted fights, along with a less lousy pittance of GP/XP they had to inch up the difficulty elsewhere or it would have been an utter cakewalk, much like their 9999hits speed play toggles the PS1 titles got when going mobile/pc based.  Ever since the GBA game came out I just really can't put up with the NES game anymore.  Same with FF2 on the GBA/NES(FC) because they did some decent tweaks to its weird XP but not XP system it uses which makes it less grindy and obnoxious too.

• Like 1

At Crescent Lake, you have a few different options.  You can go straight to the Gurgu Volcano to take on Kary the Fiend of Fire.  I usually hold off on that; I tackle the Ice Cave first to get the Floater and other treasures.  Then I can get the Airship with the Floater and after some more levelling, I go to take on Kary.

Once you have the Airship, more paths open up.  Some will even go to the Cardia Islands first and take the test at the Castle of Ordeals to promote the party to advanced classes...THEN go to fight Kary.

The way I do it at Crescent Lake is Ice Cave --> Airship --> Gurgu Volcano to fight Kary --> Cardia Islands then Castle of Ordeals.

Tiamat isn't the problem there, it's the LONG grind of a walk TO get there, magnified so much horribly more in magnitudes of awfulness if you get nailed by Warmech which is random.  That thing is just nasty to say the least (and my luck 30 years ago when it was new, I fought it...won too, but wow that sucked.)

Hah yeah that's one sad way to put it.  There are moments where you really are playing with fire as you move along as you have to park that airship a good walk away from a castle/town.  Something in my memory sticks out with lots of trees and Troia, a nice jog from this one spot on the map it barely can touch down.  The stuff there since it's fresh and you're likely not leveled up yet will roast your ass.

Got the third orb now and I am at lv 21.   Two of my party members my black belt and black wizard take longer to level up cause they kept getting killed.  Anyway to catch them up with the others so they all level up at once.   Started in the desert tower nearly got killed by Chimeras named after a C64 game.   

• Like 1

Don't be afraid to let the survivors level faster.  When they do, they can cut down enemies that might otherwise take down your glass cannons.  If you slow everybody down to your squishiest characters, you end up holding back for no real reason.

Also, remember that the enemies target the first spot 50% of the time, the second spot 25% of the time, and the third and fourth 12.5% of the time each.  So place the squishier ones in the last 2 spots.