IGNORED

Berzerk HSC PAL/NTSC terminating game after some time

Wizzard

I noticed strange issue that may or may not be a PlusCart issue. I like Berzerk and wanted to make a new high score so I played it maybe 30 minutes until I got pretty high score (more than 50.000) and after that the game was terminated suddenly, like I was killed, but I had a lot of lifes yet. The background changed the color to cyan like it was game over and the game was finished. It happened twice in a row with NTSC Berzerk and then also with PAL Berzerk (score more than 80.000)

I have not noticed this issue before. I am using RGB modded Atari Junior original PAL version and have only PlusCart cartridges. Tried just one of my two PlusCart cartridges, will try another too.

I am using the latest firmware version (2.1.0).

Edited by Wizzard

2 hours ago, Wizzard said:

I noticed strange issue that may or may not be a PlusCart issue. I like Berzerk and wanted to make a new high score so I played it maybe 30 minutes until I got pretty high score (more than 50.000) and after that the game was terminated suddenly, like I was killed, but I had a lot of lifes yet. The background changed the color to cyan like it was game over and the game was finished. It happened twice in a row with NTSC Berzerk and then also with PAL Berzerk (score more than 80.000)

I have not noticed this issue before. I am using RGB modded Atari Junior original PAL version and have only PlusCart cartridges. Tried just one of my two PlusCart cartridges, will try another too.

I am using the latest firmware version (2.1.0).

there was a score (250 game 0) sent by your PlusCart:

2021-06-11 09:36:42 (CET Central Europe Time)

and two loading events at:

2021-06-11 08:45:44  (NTSC version)

2021-06-11 09:37:52  (PAL version)

@Wizzard can you tell when the crash happened? Do you have screenshots?

The crash happened a while before these scores. The score was not uploaded after crash, cause the game was not finished correctly. Those scores were just short games which I finished very soon. I may take a picture next time.

Today I tried just ordinary Berzerk NTSC to try some high score, if the problem persists.

I noticed it also yesterday on HSC Berzerk, sometimes I cannot shoot. I am pressing fire and I see no missile. Tried both PlusiCarts I have. First it worked, later it stopped working, I may just move and cannot shoot a missile.

I found there is a game killing bug in regular Berzerk carts:

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/183006-berzerk-reset-bug/?tab=comments#comment-2300120

I'll fix this one and post some new roms. With not being able to shoot, are you saying that happens on a regular Berzerk cart as well?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Omegamatrix said:

With not being able to shoot, are you saying that happens on a regular Berzerk cart as well?

Yes, mainly with regular Berzerk ROM. Also noticed that fire button not working sometimes in some PlusCart menus. Will try today with the new PlusCart firmware.

11 hours ago, Omegamatrix said:

I have just posted some updated Berzerk roms into the HSC club. I fixed the too many lives & attract mode sudden death glitches. I also put in an extra write for SWCHA so that accidental early exit came be avoided.

You mean extra read (LDA SWCHA) ?

1 hour ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

How can you reach 128 lives with just 60,000 points? There is an extra live every 1K. I suppose there is another bug.

If you look at the link I posted there is another glitch with attract mode the way I understood it is that any time the player is not moving there is a timer incrementing and eventually it will go into attact mode. I put Nukey's fix in there to clear the timer when the player is moving.

1 hour ago, Al_Nafuur said:

You mean extra read (LDA SWCHA) ?

Yep that's what I meant.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Omegamatrix said:

If you look at the link I posted there is another glitch with attract mode the way I understood it is that any time the player is not moving there is a timer incrementing and eventually it will go into attact mode. I put Nukey's fix in there to clear the timer when the player is moving.

Got you. Thanks!

• 3 months later...

I tried to reach the high score in Berzerk NTSC, so I got some 130.000 points and let Atari run during the night and day to finish the game on the next day. When I came back the next day, I was dead, but it seems like I was in the same level I let it be (no robots, no evil Otto). Maybe another bug that terminates the game after a few hours of inactivity?

52 minutes ago, Wizzard said:

I tried to reach the high score in Berzerk NTSC, so I got some 130.000 points

cool, do you have a screenshot?

and let Atari run during the night and day to finish the game on the next day.

I don't think this is a good idea. The PlusROM might loose the network connection to the server. I did some test over several hours and mostly the connection was still alive, but sometimes when the WiFi module looses the connection and the reconnect failes, it will not connect anymore.

When I came back the next day, I was dead, but it seems like I was in the same level I let it be (no robots, no evil Otto). Maybe another bug that terminates the game after a few hours of inactivity?

Maybe a hidden timer?

@Omegamatrix altered the game, maybe he knows why this happened.

5 hours ago, Al_Nafuur said:

cool, do you have a screenshot?

Nah, that is not a problem, it is just time consuming on the first level, it takes more than hour to get this score.

I know that wifi connection may be a problem, I just wanted to try it.

• 3 weeks later...