IGNORED

Unresolved symbol list in 7800basic

Tigarion

Sorry for being ignorant, but I'm new to 7800basic. 

Yesterday, I wanted to try to create a program whose sole purpose is to display a title screen image. But after making the image, and then writing the code, I tried to compile it, and I got an error, and it gave me an "unresolved symbol list"

Failed compilation attempt

This doesn't really make sense to me. None of the listed "unresolved symbols" are in the code at all, so I'm not sure why they're showing up when being compiled. Here's the code, by the way:

1664619296_Screenshot(201).thumb.png.12a09bdfba883d46d95010c903a84269.png

Is there something here I'm missing?  Any help would be greatly appreciated

Edited by Tigarion

Hi @Tigarion

Couple of observations :

Firstly the tiles you are using for the water.tmx map, are they in the swt_title.png? With a mapfile you have to declare the tiles that the map uses and allocate a palette.

Also you are using a map and have a savescreen, which is good practice, but you need a "restorescreen" if you want to redraw it each frame.

How big is the banner you are trying to plot?

Finally, some kind of loop to go back to "plot".

Can you link your files or a zip, folks can usually tell more from that.

Also for an IDE, I'd recommend Atari Dev Studio for 7800BASIC.

Cheers,

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply! So, to answer your first question no, the tiles I'm using in "water.tmx" are a different file called, "untitled.png". I forgot to add that at first, so I added it later on. Second, I added the "restorescreen" command. Third, the banner I'm trying to plot is 128x96. I have the zip file below. The only things I haven't yet done are added the loop for "plot" and gotten "Atari dev studio" but I do plan on doing both. 

sw_title.zip

I took a look through your code and I think it's the map file that's causing the issue as you have some settings that look outside the usual parameters.

I've commented it out for now and I've also shrunk the logo as it had a lot of empty space (the logo part is the same but it no longer has a lot of extra blank bits below). In a graphics file empty space has to be stored so best to crop it off to save wasting space.

If you wanted a blue background, you can just use the BACKGRND command and set from there, example in the attachment.

Attached version compiles, hope this helps :)

sw_title_2.zip

• Like 2

It looks like a Windows-specific 7800basic bug, the root of which is Windows both ignoring and gleefully adding capitalisation to file names.  The problem is those file names turn into case-sensitive symbols in 7800basic. I've worked around this for the most part, taking the capitalisation desired from the "incgraphic" statement instead of the OS. Unfortunately this doesn't work if the capitalisation inside the tiled file differs from the rest of the usage in the basic file.

I'll have to figure out a fix, though it's not quite clear to me what that will look like yet. For now the work-around is to either ensure your incgraphic statement (and other references) matches the OS file name capitalisation, or to open the tmx in a text editor and fix any references inside to match the capitalisation used in your incgraphic statement. (e.g. "Untitled" can be manually changed to "untitled".)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RevEng said:

It looks like a Windows-specific 7800basic bug, the root of which is Windows both ignoring and gleefully adding capitalisation to file names.  The problem is those file names turn into case-sensitive symbols in 7800basic. I've worked around this for the most part, taking the capitalisation desired from the "incgraphic" statement instead of the OS. Unfortunately this doesn't work if the capitalisation inside the tiled file differs from the rest of the usage in the basic file.

I'll have to figure out a fix, though it's not quite clear to me what that will look like yet. For now the work-around is to either ensure your incgraphic statement (and other references) matches the OS file name capitalisation, or to open the tmx in a text editor and fix any references inside to match the capitalisation used in your incgraphic statement. (e.g. "Untitled" can be manually changed to "untitled".)

Oh, I see. Thank you! I'll make note of that so I don't make that mistake in future projects.

• Like 1