IGNORED

On/off switch

Hey all,

I have a 1.0 and 1.3 Fujinet. Lately, I have been using my side3 and 850 & lantronix Device for bbsing.

I leave the fuji plugged in so all I need to do is turn it off so the 850 handler will load.

However, I have noticed the on/off switch housing has been bending inward a bit. It seems that all that is holding the switch to the board are the 3 soldered leads. Is there a safe epoxy I can use to epoxy the switch down to the board? I have some jb weld that has the metal shavings in it for stronger holding but I am concerned if I use that the metal shavings may short something out.

Any suggestions on the best epoxy to use or any other thoughts on fixing this minor issue?

it really does need supplemental support... most epoxies that are not conductive and are neutral plastic and circuit safe are labelled as such... I think a mechanical solution would be best imho... as glues and epoxies are a pain in the *ss for maintenance when a switch fails or breaks.... a support should be 3d printed for it either as part of the case or standalone to connect to the pcb...

metal shaving and jb weld or any conductive epoxy / glue is always a bad idea

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 2

One thing I can say - hot melt glue may work in this case.  A great benefit to using it, is normal isopropyl alcohol (even the 70%) will immediately remove the bond of the glue.

Duh. Why didn’t I think of that. Gonna give it a try. It doesn’t need to be super strong just needs a smidge more support.
Thanks all!

4 hours ago, moonlight_mile said:

Any suggestions on the best epoxy to use or any other thoughts on fixing this minor issue?

The switch case is supposed to be soldered to pads on the pcb on both sides. These pads are not electrically connected to anything. Either they broke or they were not soldered by your vendor. You are probably better off with the hot glue fix ;) 

1266554621_Screenshotfrom2021-06-1116-20-17.thumb.png.3aad5df487b7d6e7cf71a21f96581c4a.png

Edited by mozzwald
hot glue ftw