IGNORED

Would a simple F18A palette tweaking tool be a cool tool to have?

pixelpedant

Here's what I was thinking:

In F18A programs which modify the palette, this can have the entertaining consequence of displaying standard graphics in whatever modified palette for subsequent purposes, if reset during display of the modified palette. 

So for example, this is the start screen and this is TI-Writer, after resetting from Super TI-99 Bros:

image.thumb.png.8cf784192e003d536ef5294852e47a83.pngimage.thumb.png.be4a932bada2a7cde8f7aba8579a8d2d.png

So my question is - particularly with the help of the FinalGROM's ability to select any new cart without powering off the system - wouldn't it be cool to have a palette tweaking tool which effectively allows you to modify the palette before going into Multiplan, or TI-Writer, or E/A, or whatever. 

So that if your favourite application uses Grey on Blue, but you'd rather it used Black on Cyan, you can modify the palette accordingly, from a simple menu. 

There are so many programs which really only use a text color and background color that giving them alternate two-color palettes in this way would be pretty simple. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, pixelpedant said:

Here's what I was thinking:

In F18A programs which modify the palette, this can have the entertaining consequence of displaying standard graphics in whatever modified palette for subsequent purposes, if reset during display of the modified palette. 

So for example, this is the start screen and this is TI-Writer, after resetting from Super TI-99 Bros:

image.thumb.png.8cf784192e003d536ef5294852e47a83.pngimage.thumb.png.be4a932bada2a7cde8f7aba8579a8d2d.png

So my question is - particularly with the help of the FinalGROM's ability to select any new cart without powering off the system - wouldn't it be cool to have a palette tweaking tool which effectively allows you to modify the palette before going into Multiplan, or TI-Writer, or E/A, or whatever. 

So that if your favourite application uses Grey on Blue, but you'd rather it used Black on Cyan, you can modify the palette accordingly, from a simple menu. 

There are so many programs which really only use a text color and background color that giving them alternate two-color palettes in this way would be pretty simple. 

I think that is a very cool idea!

5 hours ago, pixelpedant said:

Well, a tool which you created, Tursi, and which I think Omega asked for, serves as a roundabout way to access this behaviour, since Slideshow99 can load custom F18A palette values based on user-generated content.  Don't know of anything more specific, but am naturally interested. 

Yeah, but at some point he was talking about a tool that specifically changed the palette. I guess since nobody is speaking up it was nobody who is still here, or I dimension hopped again. ;)

Slideshow99 is supposed to restore the palette when you exit ;)

There was this tool from @Asmusr called PALEA5 : 

I'll see if I can provide a ForceCommand tool for arbitrary palette manipulation. I've been needing to add the default palette reset feature on startup anyway.  ( borrowing the default palette declared as PALT in slideshow99 )

Edited by jedimatt42
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, jedimatt42 said:

I'll see if I can provide a ForceCommand tool for arbitrary palette manipulation. I've been needing to add the default palette reset feature on startup anyway.  ( borrowing the default palette declared as PALT in slideshow99 )

That should have come from Matt, so it should be valid ;)

• Like 3

Extremely cool. Thanks for adding this!

I had been trying to come up with all sorts of practical applications for palette changes (I really like coding on a black background in my day-to-day, so it'd be nice to try that on TI-99).

But if I'm being honest, this is mostly going to be endless entertainment screwing around with stupid and impractical palettes.  And I shall enjoy every minute of it. 

• Like 4