IGNORED

Intellivision Variants

Morpheus

Following @BSRSteve suggestion, I propose to collect into this new dedicated thread our very interesting exchanges about Intellivision variants.

I believe variants could deserve a dedicated place where to deepen any possible aspect, as much as we like, when the outstanding www.intvfunhouse.com database doesn’t provide us with an immediate answer.

May the Variants be with you!

• Like 1

So, to conclude the CBS Aussie boxes topic, to date we can assume that only Carnival and Donkey Kong were sold in Australia with plastic clamshell boxes made by CBS Inc., 15 blue street, North Sidney.

I post some pictures taken from Ebay of DK for the posterity…

9EAE4055-CB9F-4678-B640-55BC6E7A74E0.jpeg

FE7BC15F-084C-488F-8BBB-C81BA7C5D5F8.jpeg

9E01B13A-FE46-4364-B25D-1BBDC8002591.jpeg

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Morpheus said:

So, to conclude the CBS Aussie boxes topic, to date we can assume that only Carnival and Donkey Kong were sold in Australia with plastic clamshell boxes made by CBS Inc., 15 blue street, North Sidney.

I post some pictures taken from Ebay of DK for the posterity…

I am not convinced that the clamshells were manufactured by CBS, though I certainly could be wrong. I think they may have been made by video rental stores, as the eBay auction description had indicated. Though that would not explain why only a few titles appear affected, if in fact those titles have been found in sufficient quantity to indicate otherwise.

26 minutes ago, BSRSteve said:

I am not convinced that the clamshells were manufactured by CBS, though I certainly could be wrong. I think they may have been made by video rental stores, as the eBay auction description had indicated. Though that would not explain why only a few titles appear affected, if in fact those titles have been found in sufficient quantity to indicate otherwise.

Thank you Steve.

I was actually wondering is those clamshells were something handmade or "official". The package seems to be made by that CBS Inc. company having address in 15 blue street Sydney (bottom left of the last pic).

That fact, for me, makes that box eligible as variant and justifies the high price asked by Rev.

49 minutes ago, BSRSteve said:

One unknown variant I have suspected (but not found) is a 0910 Hong Kong box for Star Strike, as there is a HK US English manual (both on Funhouse and in my collection). 

Very interesting.

There are several games on Intvfunhouse without the 0910 made in HK variant, but I didn’t check so far if there are some other cases of 0920 made in HK manual without the 0910 made in HK box… I’ll pay attention to this detail in the future…

The clamshell AU games were also available in Colecovision and 2600 formats. Games for those two systems in the clamshell format are more widely available. 

They are not homemade or made by some random rental store, they are professionally manufactured and it shows. The manufacturing credits on the case sleeve and extra small manual have all the printing info. 

The theory was that these could of been used in rental stores, but there was never any concrete evidence. 

If anyone has these and thinks they are cheap homemade knockoffs send me a PM and ill buy them for up to 50.00 each.   Thanks

Edited by Rev
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, Rev said:

The clamshell AU games were also available in Colecovision and 2600 formats. Games for those two systems in the clamshell format are more widely available. 

They are not homemade or made by some random rental store, they are professionally manufactured and it shows. The manufacturing credits on the case sleeve and extra small manual have all the printing info. 

The theory was that these could of been used in rental stores, but there was never any concrete evidence. 

If anyone has these and thinks they are cheap homemade knockoffs send me a PM and ill buy them for up to 50.00 each.   Thanks

I will pay $51 each. 

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, JasonlikesINTV said:

While we're discussing variants, if anyone has heavy shielded pcbs for these games, I'd like to know if they exist.

Golf

Tennis

Word Fun (the1hatman has confirmed existence)

Star Strike (unlikely that it exists, but maybe...)

For reference, they look like this:

Screenshot_20210612-140338.thumb.png.b53db8417b97e278a7ffe1d6180b990a.png

The shielded PCBs should be in all carts with the missing "insert" line.

On 6/11/2021 at 10:22 PM, BSRSteve said:

One unknown variant I have suspected (but not found) is a 0910 Hong Kong box for Star Strike, as there is a HK US English manual (both on Funhouse and in my collection). 

Hi Steve,

I just bought a Star Strike that looks definitely to be your suspect variant. The seller confirmed me that on the bottom of the box the made in is Honk Kong (as we can see on the cartridge).

Could you please let me know if the manual on the picture is matching with yours?

I think we can confirm the Star Strike Mattel 5161-0910 made in Hong Kong variant.

With plastic tray of course, no reference to the KC.

87F81384-F4E0-4306-A1F2-14750295EC94.jpeg

2 hours ago, Morpheus said:

Hi Steve,

I just bought a Star Strike that looks definitely to be your suspect variant. The seller confirmed me that on the bottom of the box the made in is Honk Kong (as we can see on the cartridge).

Could you please let me know if the manual on the picture is matching with yours?

I think we can confirm the Star Strike Mattel 5161-0910 made in Hong Kong variant.

I have three 5161-0910, two of which are made in USA, and one made in Hong Kong.  The USA ones do not have the plastic cartridge holder, but the Hong Kong one does.  It seems to be an edition for the Australian market, for it includes a large label in the inside cover describing the 90 day limited warranty, from "Lifestyle Electronics" in New South Wales.  It also includes a copyright notice label pasted on the bottom lid specifying the following:

• Copyright Mattel, Inc.
  • Distributed by Lifestyle Electronics
  • Cartridge made in Hong Kong
  • Controller Overlays Printed in USA
  • Balance made and printed in Hong Kong
  • Manufactured by Mattel Electronics (H.K.) Ltd.
  • Trademark Mattel, Inc.

The box is of a slightly "bluer" blue color, if you know what I mean:  a little darker and deeper than the USA ones.

I am missing the instruction manual for this Hong Kong variant, but I have the box, the cartridge, the plastic holder, and overlays.  It also included an insert leaflet for registration from Lifestyle Electronics, which I gave to Rev.  (I kept one from another Australian game.)

Is this the variant you are looking for, @BSRSteve?

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay

5 hours ago, Morpheus said:

Can't tell from that picture about the manual. need to see the bottom (of the front) of the manual, which would say "printed in Hong Kong" and have the part number.

3 hours ago, DZ-Jay said:

I have three 5161-0910, two of which are made in USA, and one made in Hong Kong.  The USA ones do not have the plastic cartridge holder, but the Hong Kong one does.  It seems to be an edition for the Australian market, for it includes a large label in the inside cover describing the 90 day limited warranty, from "Lifestyle Electronics" in New South Wales.  It also includes a copyright notice label pasted on the bottom lid specifying the following:

• Copyright Mattel, Inc.
  • Distributed by Lifestyle Electronics
  • Cartridge made in Hong Kong
  • Controller Overlays Printed in USA
  • Balance made and printed in Hong Kong
  • Manufactured by Mattel Electronics (H.K.) Ltd.
  • Trademark Mattel, Inc.

The box is of a slightly "bluer" blue color, if you know what I mean:  a little darker and deeper than the USA ones.

I am missing the instruction manual for this Hong Kong variant, but I have the box, the cartridge, the plastic holder, and overlays.  It also included an insert leaflet for registration from Lifestyle Electronics, which I gave to Rev.  (I kept one from another Australian game.)

Is this the variant you are looking for, @BSRSteve?

-dZ.

Generally speaking, the Lifestyle white sticker on the bottom is a variant of whatever box the sticker is printed on. I have seen the Lifestyle stickers on 0410 (slotted international), 0810 (UK) and 0910 boxes.  In my experience, those boxes should also exist without the white sticker.

5 hours ago, Morpheus said:

Hi Steve,

A pic of the front and bottom flap of the box would be great.

20 minutes ago, BSRSteve said:

I have updated the Packaging History page on my website to remove games listed as possibly not having HK boxes without keyboard text. Only remaining earlier game in that category is Hockey, with Sharp Shot the only 1982 game.

https://history.blueskyrangers.com/mattelelectronics/packaginghistory.html

Hi Steve, I read with interest you history page. I was quite disappointed in the Sears Category that Night Stalker did not get double billing (USA and Hong Kong).  Big differences in the boxes besides just the country of mfg.  If you note the front of the box they are quite different. Note the location of the bottom line of text and the location of the spiders foot in the text. The color of the box is different also (at least in the 10 or so boxes I have seen).

1826046771_NightStalkerUSASears1.thumb.jpg.10c820f3212f864423f747de1c67fd03.jpg

382517323_NightStalkerHKSears1.thumb.JPG.ff4b01a22fb4253c9c035912c92e7e50.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BSRSteve said:

Can't tell from that picture about the manual. need to see the bottom (of the front) of the manual, which would say "printed in Hong Kong" and have the part number.

1 hour ago, Humblejack said:

A pic of the front and bottom flap of the box would be great.

As soon as I’ll receive the game (end of next week) I’ll send you the pics…