IGNORED

WiModem 232 suggestions?

Okay, so I've got my WiModem 232 working on my Mega STe!

I used the WPS option and it found and set everything up

auto-magically. Used STalker to call DarkForce with it's

"darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org:520" address and not the usual

quad IP address number. Worked great, seemed really quick.

I've not had time to try TAZ, ANSITerm, FDT, etc yet.

So what are some suggestions for things to do? What about

the address book? Can you use it with the Atari software or

how does that work exactly.

Looking for ideas, handy shortcuts, suggestions, etc.

Thanks guys!  :)

Edited by DarkLord
Error correction...

WiModem232

WinModems were one of USR's Brain Farts back in the day that only worked on Window's machines because they offloaded a lot to the computer's CPU and required special drivers. :P

The address book is good if you call less than 10 BBS's.  I'd love to see him raise it.  You'd likely just have to have a term program that supported letting you enter in the dial string, then the phone book in the term program would just have a phone number from 0 to 9.  Setting this up on my machines has been on the weekend todo list for awhile now, so maybe I'll move it to the top of the list and get back to you with some real world expertise.

ATDS=[x]Dial stored phone book entry

Truth be told, I think it's ATDS[X] so ATDS0, ATDS1.  I haven't tried it to be sure, but I've found a few typos like this in the manual.

AT&Z? – Show all phone book entries

The phone book is a great way to store your most favorite url's, making them easy to connect to by using the ATDS=x command. Of course theWiModem232's “phone book” is really URL's, not phone numbers.To show all of the phone book entries you would enter:AT&Z?{RETURN}

AT&Z[x]? – Show phone book entry

To see a particular phone book entry (such as entry 3) you would enter:AT&Z3?{RETURN}  Nothing is displayed if the phone book entry has not been set.

AT&Z[x]= – Set phone book entry

This command can change the phone book entry specified by [x]. The valueof x can be 0 to 9. To set the phone book entry, enter:AT&Z[x]=name<:port number>{RETURN}The port number is optional. If you do not include the port number then thedefault port number (set using the AT*P command) will be used whenconnecting. To set entry 3 to COMMODORESERVER.COM with a port of 1541 you would enter:AT&Z3=COMMODORESERVER.COM:1541{RETURN}

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, DarkLord said:

So what are some suggestions for things to do? What about

the address book? Can you use it with the Atari software or

how does that work exactly.

Looking for ideas, handy shortcuts, suggestions, etc.

You should be able to do anything with it that you can with any other modem (or substitute like the Lantronix box).

Maybe we should finally get around to testing that old game I wrote back in the 90's.  (But shhhhh... don't tell anyone else about it, ok?)

3 hours ago, Tillek said:

You should be able to do anything with it that you can with any other modem (or substitute like the Lantronix box).

Maybe we should finally get around to testing that old game I wrote back in the 90's.  (But shhhhh... don't tell anyone else about it, ok?)

Corrected the spelling, thanks.

And don't worry - mum's the word...  :)

32 minutes ago, Ripdubski said:

The first thing I did was setup entries in the phone book, so dialing is easy.  I've been using ANSITerm as well with no issues.

So I'm assuming you use the WiModem 232 command to dial an entry from its' phonebook

from within ANSITerm?

Thanks.

1 hour ago, DarkLord said:

So I'm assuming you use the WiModem 232 command to dial an entry from its' phonebook

from within ANSITerm?

Thanks.

That's right.  You type the psuedo Hayes Command in the terminal.  I use FDT almost exclusively these days with my wimodem.  I do occasionally use Flash, but mostly FDT...I do have to change the terminal settings sometimes...for example, your BBS looks best with VT-52 emulation, but others with ANSI...

I have been using mine and also my ESP8266 modems on STalker.. and TAZ so far, no issues.  They are easiest for me.. 

I have not had luck downloading with ANY of them so far.  Might be flow control?? not sure.. but always get a back checksum and it aborts.

James

10 hours ago, Bikerbob said:

I have been using mine and also my ESP8266 modems on STalker.. and TAZ so far, no issues.  They are easiest for me.. 

I have not had luck downloading with ANY of them so far.  Might be flow control?? not sure.. but always get a back checksum and it aborts.

James

That's on DarkForce? Hmm. I know I used STalker and TAZ to download files successfully. I did get some CRC warnings occasionally

but it always continued and finished the download.

2 hours ago, Bikerbob said:

what is the last version of Ansiterm out there? I can find 1.9??

James

I seem to have ansiterm 1.9 installed.  I don't use it but it's on my hard drive.  So either I got it from Creepy Crawly .iso or its out there somewhere.

Edited by 8bitguy1
Confirmed its on the first Creepy Crawly CD

36 minutes ago, DarkLord said:

Just out of curiosity,  use something like SyncTerm to download something

from DarkForce and post what your results are...  Thanks.

Downloaded Dterm from your CD's through the fil sig area successfully using Syncterm and Zmodem.  I've never got it to work correctly over the wimodem though....

Yeah.. so that might be a project.. Wi232 or my esp8266 or whatever.. these all use variations on the same firmware. 

SO .. how we get these things working downloading.. or uploading.. what protocals we can get to work, and how and why?

THey are all SUPPOSED TO work.. my 8266 with zimodem is supposed to have working CTS/RTS.. does it? how do I confirm it?  not sure.

James

8 hours ago, 8bitguy1 said:

Downloaded Dterm from your CD's through the fil sig area successfully using Syncterm and Zmodem.  I've never got it to work correctly over the wimodem though....

Seems I must have settings wrong in Syncterm? I cannot download from Darkforce with Syncterm.. I getting Error 2 fail to create file on my download folder.. not sure why. 

James

So I tried SyncTerm just now, under Window 10 and I downloaded about

a half dozen files, ranging from 16k to a few hundred K and had no

problems at all.

As soon as I can get "offline" mode vs "online" mode figured out on my

ST comms software I'll try downloading there (although it worked before

with the UDS-10)...

PS This was through my LAN, BTW, not with a WiModem 232...

Edited by DarkLord
Addittional info...

Ok, it was my settings in my syncterm. I was downloading to a directory that did not exist on the PC and Syncterm does not just make it.. found it.. changed it. We are downloading from Darkforce with syncterm. 

No further luck from the wifi modems yet.

James

On 6/18/2021 at 10:42 AM, DarkLord said:

So I tried SyncTerm just now, under Window 10 and I downloaded about

a half dozen files, ranging from 16k to a few hundred K and had no

problems at all.

As soon as I can get "offline" mode vs "online" mode figured out on my

ST comms software I'll try downloading there (although it worked before

with the UDS-10)...

PS This was through my LAN, BTW, not with a WiModem 232...

Which package are you having offline vs online mode issues?  

I've tried a handful of times to download stuff from your BBS with the WiModem and various packages and have never been able to get it to work.  I guess the best effort would be to see if I can download from other BBS's...if that fails, maybe we reach out to WiModem creator?

• 1 year later...
6 hours ago, DarkLord said:

I do have one. I don't think it's from the last version (1.6? 2.0? - can't remember).

It has a stained front cover (it came from a boxed collection of software I grabbed

off Ebay). Other than that, the rest of the pages seem okay...

If its the big 50 pager, cover looks like this.. It was the only printed manual - the others were text files included with the updates on disk.

Can you scan it Ron?  I would really like to read it!

James

flash.jpg

Okay, I scanned it. 600dpi, JPG format and I attempted to use the GIMP

on my Kubuntu Linux laptop to clean up the portions that looked the worse

for wear.

I swear, if I didn't know better, I'd say it was tobacco juice on the front

cover.  :)

Anyway, sorry about the quality but you should still find it functional.

Flash-Manual.zip

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1