IGNORED

Runes of Moria - WIP 3D First Person on Vanilla 4k

rossum

Wanted to share a WIP vanilla 4k game with a raycasting engine capable of ~25fps/8 colors.

No extra RAM, DPC+, bus stuffing or other cheats, does not even bank switch. Could have been a launch title in 1977 on a 2732.

Lots of work needed on the maps / pal colors but there is enough working to give you an idea. I still have 33 bytes left for features...

lmk is there is interest in a production version or a writeup as to how it works.

cheers

btw: If you figure out how to play and get to the end you will likely be only the second human to do so......

moria2.JPG

moria1.JPG

runes_of_moria_pal.rom runes_of_moria.rom

• Like 22

This is really cool. :thumbsup: 

IMO you should not stop at 4K and add some more features. E.g.

• a map which is automatically generated while you explore the maze (could be displayed using a console switch) 
  • a permanent direction display

Both would help to orientate better. Sometimes there is too much flicker IMO, probably that cannot be avoided. But maybe it can be a bit reduced by a different hue selection. I like how the maze darkens, but I have one suggestion. It would help if it would brighten again when you turn into the right direction to move back into the bright area.

I found two magic walls where I can select a rune. But besides that I am currently lost. So some instructions would help for sure.

• Like 6

Very cool!  The fact that this fits in 4K is just amazing, but I agree with Thomas and Karl that you should pull out all the stops, allow yourself 16K or even 32K, and just go wild!  As mentioned, some sort of HUD would be nice.  Also, maybe moveable sprites / enemies / pickups (I didn't get very far, maybe these are already there!)

? very impressive!

Found the two doors/gates too. But I can't find any hints for the runes to open it ?

11 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

IMO you should not stop at 4K and add some more features. E.g.

• a map which is automatically generated while you explore the maze (could be displayed using a console switch) 

would be cool, but pen and paper was the expandable map we used BITD.

12 hours ago, rossum said:

Wanted to share a WIP vanilla 4k game with a raycasting engine capable of ~25fps/8 colors.

Very nice! I've solved two of the rune walls but couldn't find any more of them. I also found an area where it looks like it's an open hallway but when you approach, a wall comes up in front of you to block. I'll have to record it next time so I can show you where it is.

- James

1st EDIT: Now up to 5 doors solved and bar at the top of the screen seems to be getting slightly wider. If it has to make it all the way to the edges this will take a LONG time.

2nd EDIT: Solved the 6th door and soon after going through it there's an impassible hallway. It's the only way past the sixth door so I don't see another way forward through the game. ?

Here's a picture of the hallway, as soon as I move forward, the wall on the right side slides left and blocks my path.

image.thumb.png.d978d2b138dc9545221c52e67c4a77ba.png

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

Here's a picture of the hallway, as soon as I move forward, the wall on the right side slides left and blocks my path.

I faced the same situation and another time with a blue wall.

@ZeroPage Homebrew If you should play this game (or similar games) in your show, a "map cam" would be nice. Then the viewers can better follow what you are doing.

BTW: Being able to move sideways (using the fire button) would be nice.

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

I faced the same situation and another time with a blue wall.

@ZeroPage Homebrew If you should play this game (or similar games) in your show, a "map cam" would be nice. Then the viewers can better follow what you are doing.

That's a great idea! I'll have to figure out how to mount a map cam and so it's not in the way but still see what I'm writing down. I'm sure I've got something for that.

3 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

BTW: Being able to move sideways (using the fire button) would be nice.

I also found myself trying the button to strafe, it would be an excellent addition if the fire button isn't going to reserved for something in the future.

- James

6 hours ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

That's a great idea! I'll have to figure out how to mount a map cam and so it's not in the way but still see what I'm writing down. I'm sure I've got something for that.

I also found myself trying the button to strafe, it would be an excellent addition if the fire button isn't going to reserved for something in the future.

- James

7 hours ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

Very nice! I've solved two of the rune walls but couldn't find any more of them. I also found an area where it looks like it's an open hallway but when you approach, a wall comes up in front of you to block. I'll have to record it next time so I can show you where it is.

- James

1st EDIT: Now up to 5 doors solved and bar at the top of the screen seems to be getting slightly wider. If it has to make it all the way to the edges this will take a LONG time.

2nd EDIT: Solved the 6th door and soon after going through it there's an impassible hallway. It's the only way past the sixth door so I don't see another way forward through the game. ?

Apologies for the impassable invisible walls. I think the enclosed version solves that problem.

Also worth mentioning that being able to read Angerthas Moria helps with opening doors.

cheers

runes_of_moria_6_14_pal.rom runes_of_moria_6_14.rom

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

can you draw the map on a tablet, like an electronic whiteboard/blackboard?

you can get those that draw on "lined paper" or "graph paper," etc.

that way you wouldn't have to futz with camera placement.

7 hours ago, rossum said:

Also worth mentioning that being able to read Angerthas Moria helps with opening doors.

The problem is, that I wouldn't know where to start. The runes are random each game, so how should we know what to enter?

Hobbit names, maybe?

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch

16 hours ago, rossum said:

Apologies for the impassable invisible walls. I think the enclosed version solves that problem.

Awesome, thanks! I'll give it another try soon with the updated version.

16 hours ago, rossum said:

I found a good rune translation chart that has helped me decode the doors. Fun little bonus. ?

- James

5 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

I looked into the code. :P 

5 hours ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

Awesome, thanks! I'll give it another try soon with the updated version.

I found a good rune translation chart that has helped me decode the doors. Fun little bonus. ?

- James

Fixed rune speeling errors (thanks Thomas!), upgraded ambience and added a balrog.

runes_of_moria_6_16_ntsc.rom runes_of_moria_6_16_pal.rom

• Like 5

ZeroPage Homebrew IS BACK FROM BREAK TOMORROW and playing Runes of Moria on tomorrow's (Fri Jun 18, 2021) stream LIVE on Twitch at 12PM PT | 3PM ET | 7PM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Games:

(WATCH AT 1080P60 FOR FULL QUALITY!)

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew
  • Like 4

14 minutes ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

ZeroPage Homebrew IS BACK FROM BREAK TOMORROW and playing Runes of Moria on tomorrow's (Fri Jun 18, 2021) stream LIVE on Twitch at 12PM PT | 3PM ET | 7PM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Games:

1077002383_20210618-LetsPlay.thumb.jpg.0da39a5d2dfe80dec1d6fd58bad93dfd.jpg

Looking forward to it. Nice cover art.

New version with updated engine, NTSC >20fps, PAL >30fps in the mines.

Gandalf will have to wait for the 8k version.

runes_of_moria_6_17_pal.rom runes_of_moria_6_17_ntsc.rom

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, rossum said:

Looking forward to it. Nice cover art.

Thanks so much, it turned out well! ?

20 minutes ago, rossum said:

New version with updated engine, NTSC >20fps, PAL >30fps in the mines.

Gandalf will have to wait for the 8k version.

Thanks for posting an updated version, I'll use that on the show tomorrow.

- James

5 hours ago, rossum said:

added additional detail for those on crts.

What did you change?

A few suggestions:

• Allow moving sideways (Fire + Left/Right)
  • I don't know how you determine the color of a wall (there seems to be some logic behind it), but it would help navigating and mapping if the colors do not repeat on consecutive walls.
  • The walls sometimes look lacerated at top and bottom, can that be avoided?
  • Like 1