IGNORED

8-Bit Software: A Preservation Effort

SoulBuster

2 hours ago, Mclaneinc said:

Just grabbed the last disk and noticed that it can't boot anything with a _ in the name.

Don't know if it's a known issue or deliberate..

Just saying.

It looks like issue 7 had the only underscores.  I have updated it to NOT include underscores.

for those of you that have already down loaded it, you can either download it again (I have fixed it here), or change the names on disk B and C of issue 7. I have also updated my TNFS server.

I have done some testing and it appears that Atari Dos cannot find a file with an underscore, but SDX does not seem to have a problem with it.  I mostly use SDX to put these together and is probably why I did not find a problem.

Thanks Mclaneinc

13 minutes ago, SoulBuster said:

It looks like issue 7 had the only underscores.  I have updated it to NOT include underscores.

for those of you that have already down loaded it, you can either download it again (I have fixed it here), or change the names on disk B and C of issue 7. I have also updated my TNFS server.

I have done some testing and it appears that Atari Dos cannot find a file with an underscore, but SDX does not seem to have a problem with it.  I mostly use SDX to put these together and is probably why I did not find a problem.

Thanks Mclaneinc

My pleasure.. And thanks for fixing it..

Issue #8

With this issue I will no longer make listings of basic programs that are not required to be listed.  It just takes up too much room.  I was going to have 6 sides on this issue.

1. Dsktool only runs under Atari dos.  There is something wrong with it and I cannot figure it out even though it is typed correctly.
  2. Graphic violence program 1: I checked this program several times and could not find the error in the MAIN data.  What I typed, matched exactly to the listing the the magazine, but the check on line 10060 is +3 to what the data results show.  I change the test to 36688 from 36691 to match the data statement results are and the program runs.  I think it is doing what it is supposed to.  I left the basic program just like it was typed in the magazine, error and all.
  3. Budget work updated for disk access and new features from issue #7
  4. Maniac appears again in this issue, the resulting OBJ fits into 32k instead of the previous 48k.  I have included the resulting .CAS and used a CASSETTE to disk program to make an ATR. Also included.
  5. A correction to Triple Threat Dice appears in this issue.  The updated program is included.

Analog Computing #08 (1982-11)(Analog Magazine Corp.)(US)[BASIC].zip

image.thumb.png.0b062c99e233ad5900ec3ca94516da78.pngimage.thumb.png.95577694cf1ed8a38afe11a3adb81d9b.pngimage.thumb.png.c0f1a627d98e6dc42c3677487dd055cf.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Back from a Hiatus!

Issue #9

1. Disk tool had another update.  I followed the instructions, but it still wants to overwrite itself, still included.  There is a version on an ATR that seems to work, so I am also including it (unknown source).  I typed in the Assembly listing, but I cannot determine what Assembler program was used.  I tried Assembler Editor, no; Atari Macro Assembler, no; Mac 65, no; LADS, no.  So I was not able to compile it.
  2. The compiled version of Black Rabbit's Assembly code does not seem to run even though it compiles without errors, error 164. The basic program creates a boot disk that does work, ATR included.
  3. The file BURPSYS.OBJ is the results on running the basic program.  Copy it to an Atari DOS disk with dos files and rename to autorun.sys. An ATR with Burp is included.  The article states that "The completely documented Macro Assembler listing..", but Atari Macro Assembler and MAC 65 fail to compile the listing, so I do not know how to compile this listing.
  4. D&D Character Generator which appears in issue #8 had one line that overwrote itself and I had to guess what was there.  It happens I guessed right, so the correction in issue #9 is not needed and an updated program will not be posted on this issue.
  5. NOREM from issue #8 had a correction in issue #9.  The updated program is included.
  6. Dungeons and Dragons Housekeeper only runs under BASIC Rev A.  I found that this program errors under Rev B, Rev C and Altirra Basic.

Analog Computing #09 (1983-01)(Analog Magazine Corp.)(US).zip

image.thumb.png.552e1dd4d722a77f2267c02b3e7a89f2.png

image.thumb.png.47b912d46cfc42b6f9c439a9d3c7c148.png

image.thumb.png.72de495652db440154a73ccbb4dfb3d4.png

• Thanks 1

Issue #10

1. FILLERUP.ASM compiles using Atari Macro Assembler and produces an OBJ that is not executable, but rather a representation of what is in the BASIC program. The PRN file that it produces is over 500 sectors big.  I left this file off of the disk. If you want one, just re-compile. Type the full word YES in the BASIC program to play when asked.
  2. From issue #9, the second listing of Disk Tool had an update, updated program included.
  3. Burp from Issue #9 had an update. The updated program, OBJ (rename it to Autorun.sys and put on a boot disk), and ATR are included

Analog Computing #10 (1983-03)(Analog Magazine Corp.)(US)[BASIC].zip

image.thumb.png.35f1b1a572b368aea9886bc91aec654e.png

image.thumb.png.5a5bd3cfd36cad8435b28a828a74c515.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Issue #11

1. Issue #10 had an Error on DCheck2.  The updated program is included.

2. From reader comments, a reader came up with a way to load FILLERUP a minute faster.  FILLERUP.LST contains the lines to change.  Enter them into the FILLERUP.BAS program from Issue #10.

3. Another reader comment has an update for FILLERUP to give it a restart function. Enter FILLRUP2.LST into the basic program FILLERUP.BAS to get the changes.

4. Memtest has two versions, disk and cassette. OBJ for disk and the CAS version included. They work for the Atari 800/400 and loading Atari 2.5 DOS

Analog Computing #11 (1983-05)(Analog Magazine Corp.)(US)[BASIC].zip

image.thumb.png.5d1a510b75122de29436863a7758f438.png

image.thumb.png.ed90ce8208a6716432d81feccdfe3066.png

image.thumb.png.87c9fbb59f2a0d77b60db2a857e4126f.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Issue #12

1. GRADES.BAS is from Reader comments.
  2. The file ADV5THDM.LST are changes to the game with the same name from issue #11, if you want to compile the game with the ABC Compiler
  3. GTIADEMO.LST can be entered into GTIADEMO.BAS to see how the Staff altered the demo.
  4. I could not compile GTIADEMO.ASM. Assembler Editor showed three errors.  Two of which were because a REM (;) was used on lines 1535 and 1545 without commands.  I moved those REMS close to the line numbers and the errors went away. The third happens on line 2000 for the command BNE.  I did not figure out why that was erroring.
  5. The programs named MSBASICx.BAS are written in Microsoft BASIC for Atari V1.  There is an error in the second magazine printed listing, it shows line 120, 130 and then line 120 again and then goes on to line 150.  Obviously, that is line 140 so that is what I typed in. The 5th listing is ENTERED into the program provided by the Micrsoft manual to make the necessary changes.
  6. Livewire has a disk and a cassette version.  Livewire.exe is on the disk, the .CAS and an ATR made from that .CAS are included.

Analog Computing #12 (1983-07)(Analog Magazine Corp.)(US)[BASIC].zip

image.thumb.png.8939c3f66a673b893a7cf513a4ecf708.png

image.thumb.png.d4bc21136c3afa6f1a757183cb7a6798.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/19/2021 at 9:49 AM, SoulBuster said:

I loaded Analog 64 A.atr using Altirra 4.10 with BASIC attached and selected snowlplow. The following message displayed. Are there some instructions on how to load the files from these atr images? Thanks

YOU CANNOT LOAD 'SNOWPLOW' FROM THIS
MENU.  YOU MUST MOVE IT TO ANOTHER
DISK AND RENAME IT 'AUTORUN.SYS'

1 minute ago, pmgraphics said:

I loaded Analog 64 A.atr using Altirra 4.10 with BASIC attached and selected snowlplow. The following message displayed. Are there some instructions on how to load the files from these atr images? Thanks

YOU CANNOT LOAD 'SNOWPLOW' FROM THIS
MENU.  YOU MUST MOVE IT TO ANOTHER
DISK AND RENAME IT 'AUTORUN.SYS'

so did you follow the directions?

Issue #13

1. Adventure in the Fifth Dimension had another update.  ADV5THDM.LST is entered into the game with the same name from issue #11. It cures a bug when trying to restart the game.  Game with full update included.

2. SNAIL.LST is entered into the SNAIL.BAS program from issue #11 to clear PMBASE and eliminate garbage on the screen.

3. LIVWIRPD.LST (disk) and LIVWIRPC.LST (cassette) are modifications to allow the use of paddles instead of joystick for Live Wire from Issue #12. Load LIVEWIRE.BAS from issue #12 and enter one of the above programs.  The LIVEWIRP.EXE is the result of the disk version.  The CAS file for the cassette version and an ATR made from that CAS are also included.

4. ROUNMAIN.BAS is the base code of the game. Enter ROUNDISK.LST or ROUNCASS.LST to make a disk file or Cassette version. The CAS and an ATR from that CAS are included.

Analog Computing #13 (1983-09)(Analog Magazine Corp.)(US)[BASIC].zip

image.thumb.png.818b0979b0011249d91af35c28cc36c1.png

image.thumb.png.5336fd571a9d71967768a0089b95cc90.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I found a set of Analog disks that I can use as a source, but there are problems with them.  Some are in enhanced density, some do not boot to menus, some have that awful DOSXL ram disk interference at boot up.

#12 was the first that I converted this way.  #14 was the first where I did not have to make any changes to the programs, this is why I am making this post.

I am checking the Atari 8-bit preservation website for original disk copies.  Should I come across an original copy that is listed on that site, I will add an additional disk to the originals for any additions or changes to the original set.

Issue #14

1. RETRMAIN.BAS is the main part of Retro Fire.  RETRCASS.LST is entered into the main program to create a bootable cassette.  RETRDISK.LST is entered into the main program to get a file on disk.  The CAS Version and an ATR from that CAS are included.

Analog Computing #14 (1983-11)(Analog Magazine Corp.)(US)[BASIC].zip

image.thumb.png.a1fb4ece8893278cf8964b71d5f86c2c.png

image.thumb.png.8ac0f944569d7b8ee72ee220d5875f92.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Issue #15

1. Lumber Jack from issue #14 had an update.  Load LUMBER.BAS and enter LUMBER.LST and save to make changes.  An updated version of LUMBER.BAS is included.

2. mUse from issue #14 had an update. Load MUSE.BAS and enter MUSE.LST for the update and save. An updated version of MUSE.BAS, MUSE.EXE and MUSE.ASM are included.

3. SOUNDEFF.BAS from issue #12 had an enhancement from reader comments.  Load SOUNDEFF.BAS from issue #12 and enter SOUDEFF.LST from this disk for the changes.

4. SYNMAIN.BAS is the main program for Music Synthesizer.  Enter SYNCASS.LST into SYNMAIN.BAS to get the Cassette version (CAS and an ATR from that CAS included).  Enter SYNDISK.LST into SYNMAIN.BAS to get the file version.  SYN.ASM was typed for Assembler Editor and it does compile, but the magazine does not show line numbers so I made an attempt to make it work with Atari Macro Assembler.  It does not.

5. BRICMAIN.BAS is the main part of the game. Enter BRICCASS.LST to get the Cassette version of the game and enter BRICDISK.LST for the disk file version of the game.  The CAS and an ATR from that CAS are included. 

6. I found the assembly for Bricklayer's Nightmare on the source disks I mentioned before, but it was split in two with an "INCLUDE" at the end of the first part for the second part.  I wanted to put it back together like it was in the magazine, but I could not find an editor that could hold it all.  I ended up editing in Notepad++ in Windows to make it whole.  Getting it back is another story I will post in a moment. After a couple of tries, I found that the listing in the magazine has an error. Line 742 LDA #-8 ... I am not an assembly language programmer, but I think that is illegal.  So I changed it to LDA #8 and it now compiles and plays.

Analog Computing #15 (1984-01)(Analog Magazine Corp.)(US)[BASIC].zip

image.thumb.png.28b2b252497e998015cccadaf7dba7da.png

image.thumb.png.3f69291e6f56709a34519def98bea2f2.png

image.thumb.png.87d0a49c036586aa8e150b876c2658d0.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

For awhile I have been wanting to transfer text files back a forth between the Atari and the PC so that I can get the layout right when matching a listing to the magazine.  I always ran into the problem of translating the EOL of each system so I can read it in each system.

From the Atari to the PC is easy using Notepad++.  Search for › in the document and replace it with \r (linefeed), everything becomes readable.

Not so coming back.  First of all, you are editing in the PC world most probably because the file is too large for any Atari program, so you cannot translate that line feed back into the symbol using the Atari.  Programs will not load the whole file.

Furthermore, when using Notepad++ to change it back, I get weird characters in the Atari, so that does not work.

My solution was to write a BASIC program to read in each character and add them to a string and also to search for ATASCII values of 10 (linefeed) or 13 (carriage return). Skip those and write out a record with the correct EOL from the string.

The file BRICKLYR.ASM from Analog issue #15 was the first file get ran through this conversion, and it compiles with no errors.

I compiled the BASIC program with the ABC BASIC Compiler. Here is the executable and source code if anyone else can make use of it.  It's slow, but works.

EOL v.01.atr

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SoulBuster said:

For awhile I have been wanting to transfer text files back a forth between the Atari and the PC so that I can get the layout right when matching a listing to the magazine.  I always ran into the problem of translating the EOL of each system so I can read it in each system.

RespeQT has an option for ASCII/ATASCII translation when importing/exporting text files in ATR/ATX images.

I used a BASIC program similar to what you did BITD, but I used GET/PUT on files in a 1MB MIO RAMDISK

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, BillC said:

RespeQT has an option for ASCII/ATASCII translation when importing/exporting text files in ATR/ATX images.

I used a BASIC program similar to what you did BITD, but I used GET/PUT on files in a 1MB MIO RAMDISK

Never used it.  Good to know.

My EOL program has an update.  When I was writing the record out I used this

? #2,line$

The comma after the 2 puts 10 spaces in front of the record.  

I changed the line to read

? #2;Line$ which eliminates the 10 spaces.

If you have already picked EOL up, throw away the one you have and get this one: