IGNORED

Downloading drivers for Harmony Encore

TheRealOC

I've installed the Harmony Programming tool on my computer, but Windows won't discover the device (although it discovers the SD card just when plugged in directly). 

image.thumb.png.9c19947dcd04516d1cd84128bad96191.png

Seems like the reason for this may be that drivers are not automatically downloaded (below)

image.thumb.png.46491da9a2dc8cd6befda180e4b1cb88.png

I followed the link in the Latest Harmony cart software page, then went to the ftdi chip website and downloaded the drivers for windows 10 (below) 

image.thumb.png.dc2d7226f1679bddc946d949d89acb9e.png

Now, my problem is that when I unzipped the download, it doesn't look like there's an executable file in the pack to setup the driver.

image.thumb.png.7dc0b350c7ba48668dc38131adcb7190.png

Does anyone know how to install these drivers?

Many thanks

4 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Right click in the .inf file and install.

Ok I did that  

image.thumb.png.f1927c99e0f887a21125a873a977eb92.png

Device is still showing up as "driver unavailable" and the programming tool still not finding the harmony cart. 

image.thumb.png.26aa31b4cb83f2a93ee8134aff008b56.pngimage.thumb.png.25b93b38068649b7f05a7bebbc2b725f.png

Am I missing something that I should have installed? All I installed was the latest version of the Programming Tool and the 64-bit Windows VCP driver https://ftdichip.com/drivers/vcp-drivers/ 

image.png

I'm having a similar issue.  My main hard drive crashed (with my OS) so I had to reinstall everything, including the HarmonyCart software.  It is not finding the HarmonyCart (I tried an Encore and regular one).  They show up in Device Manager but as "Harmony Encore v1.9d" :

image.thumb.png.49d28bcddc620d0e7a468b9b1957bc51.pngimage.thumb.png.10c1244fa41aa21b123ed040c4f60663.png

I'm pretty sure they showed up as USB Serial before. :ponder:  Interesting enough, I have a 128K Melody Dev board from @batari (for testing Turbo Arcade on real hardware) and it does show up as a USB-SERIAL port:

image.thumb.png.376944bde9d0320a3f5263e8fa3a4361.png

Using the latest serial drivers, the HarmonyCart software *can* detect the 128K Melody dev board.  Any one know why Windows is detecting the Harmony carts as, well, Harmony carts instead of SERIAL devices, and if there is a driver I can use?  I tried to update the drivers for these using the INF of the serial port drivers but it didn't show up as a compatible driver.

Any tips would be appreciated!

Thanks,

John

I had the same problem yesterday. In the end I had to unplug an USB Bluetooth adapter and reboot to make it work again. Somehow the USB is has gotten sensitive. The problem started with one of the Windows updates ~1 week ago.

BTW: My carts do not show up in the Device Manager. Only the COM port they are using.

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch

5 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

I had the same problem yesterday. In the end I had to unplug an USB Bluetooth adapter and reboot to make it work again. Somehow the USB is has gotten sensitive. The problem started with one of the Windows updates ~1 week ago.

Thanks for the tips TJ, I'll give it a shot!  I don't have any USB Bluetooth adapters plugged in but I'll poke around and see what I can find.  Luckily the Melody board works so I can still burn Turbo images to test. :D   

BTW: My carts do not show up in the Device Manager. Only the COM port they are using.

Yes, that's what used to be the case for me too.  This is the first I've seen of the carts being identified by the Harmony name.  Maybe Fred @batari can shine some light on this issue.  Hopefully it's fixed it the next Windows update! ?

Ouch!

Yes - not a good way to start a Friday. ?  Luckily I had 2 drives in my computer; SSD for the OS and a regular IDE (my old one from 2006 that I've used for all my CHAMP development) with all of my code.  The SSD crashed but I was able to move the other drive to a different computer and all of my code was intact.  I also run weekly backups to an external drive on my code, the SVN repository that I store it in, plus all my development tools, and all of my downloads, documents, etc that were on the C drive so I was able to recover all that also. :D 

PS This is why I haven't replied to the Turbo thread; I hope to catch up this weekend! ;)  

• Like 2

On 6/26/2021 at 12:59 PM, johnnywc said:

Thanks for the tips TJ, I'll give it a shot!  I don't have any USB Bluetooth adapters plugged in but I'll poke around and see what I can find.  Luckily the Melody board works so I can still burn Turbo images to test. :D   

Yes, that's what used to be the case for me too.  This is the first I've seen of the carts being identified by the Harmony name.  Maybe Fred @batari can shine some light on this issue.  Hopefully it's fixed it the next Windows update! ?

Yes - not a good way to start a Friday. ?  Luckily I had 2 drives in my computer; SSD for the OS and a regular IDE (my old one from 2006 that I've used for all my CHAMP development) with all of my code.  The SSD crashed but I was able to move the other drive to a different computer and all of my code was intact.  I also run weekly backups to an external drive on my code, the SVN repository that I store it in, plus all my development tools, and all of my downloads, documents, etc that were on the C drive so I was able to recover all that also. :D 

PS This is why I haven't replied to the Turbo thread; I hope to catch up this weekend! ;) 

In my experience, only the Harmony carts with FTDI USB chips will enumerate as a Harmony cart in Device Manager, and will only do so when the driver is not installed (or not installed properly.) Once it is installed it identifies only as a COM port. So my guess is you need to reinstall the FTDI driver and/or go to where is says "Harmony Encore v1.9d" and specify the FTDI driver there.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, batari said:

In my experience, only the Harmony carts with FTDI USB chips will enumerate as a Harmony cart in Device Manager, and will only do so when the driver is not installed (or not installed properly.) Once it is installed it identifies only as a COM port. So my guess is you need to reinstall the FTDI driver and/or go to where is says "Harmony Encore v1.9d" and specify the FTDI driver there.

Thanks Fred!  I went here and installed the FTDI USB drivers and now both Harmony and Harmony Encore are recognized.  :)  :thumbsup:  

• Like 2