IGNORED

Bluetooth not great out of the box...

skorphy

Has anyone else had issues with the BT on the VCS? I just picked mine up last night from Microcenter. I'm about to go exchange it if this is going to be a persistent problem with this unit. I was able to pair both included controllers with great difficulty. The controllers needed to be immediately behind the unit on the right side I'm assuming this is where the antenna is. After they are paired the controllers can only be moved 1-2 feet away from the unit before disconnect. I've updated the bios and all the software and done multiple reboots. Even turned off the wifi radio and hardwired in case that was interfering. Any ideas? I've already filed a ticket with Atari but I'm waiting on a reply.

I’ve actually heard quite a few reports of people having issues with the VCS Bluetooth when it comes to pairing controllers and once paired the range being an issue. I’ve been lucky I’ve had my VCS since January and it’s been very reliable so far it’s never gave me any issues what so ever so maybe you have a defective unit?. One thing worth trying is to make sure the controller firmware is up to date as that can help a lot and make sure your VCS isn’t in a TV unit as that could hinder the BT signal? but if the issue persists it’s probably worth exchanging it for another unit and go from there as even in a TV unit BT normally has a great range so very weird issue but common from what I’ve been reading hopefully Atari sort these issues out. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Atari_JaguarVCS said:

I’ve actually heard quite a few reports of people having issues with the VCS Bluetooth when it comes to pairing controllers and once paired the range being an issue. I’ve been lucky I’ve had my VCS since January and it’s been very reliable so far it’s never gave me any issues what so ever so maybe you have a defective unit?. One thing worth trying is to make sure the controller firmware is up to date as that can help a lot and make sure your VCS isn’t in a TV unit as that could hinder the BT signal? but if the issue persists it’s probably worth exchanging it for another unit and go from there as even in a TV unit BT normally has a great range so very weird issue but common from what I’ve been reading hopefully Atari sort these issues out. 

The system reports that I have the latest firmware. What is the latest version? I think my controller firmware version is 1.47

1 hour ago, skorphy said:

The system reports that I have the latest firmware. What is the latest version? I think my controller firmware version is 1.47

The latest controller firmware is currently 1.47 and for the bios 1.0.21 . I remember someone saying on a YouTube Video a few months back that they where able to resolve the BT issues by doing a pinhole reset in both the joystick and controller and starting from scratch again basically, although I’ve never had to do it myself as a last resort it may be worth a try I’d also even just factory reset the console while I was at it. I really hope you get the issue resolved, if I find a link to the video I’ll be sure to share it with you but it was months ago now!. Not really the kind of first impressions people should be having with this machine as it’s actually very well built I genuinely think it’s just really poor glitchy firmware that’s causing it. 

There have also been reports of the antenna wires coming off of the BT card.  That would affect the range greatly.  I don't know how comfortable you are with opening the unit but you may want to check that as well.

1 hour ago, joeatari1 said:

There have also been reports of the antenna wires coming off of the BT card.  That would affect the range greatly.  I don't know how comfortable you are with opening the unit but you may want to check that as well.

SOLVED 

This was the solution. Now I can sit on my couch and play without a wire. One of the snap in leads for the two antennas was not attached. Not sure if this will continue to be a problem as it didn't feel satisfying when I snapped it back onto the board.

Thanks to everyone who offered solutions. Hope this thread will help someone else.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, skorphy said:

One of the snap in leads for the two antennas was not attached. Not sure if this will continue to be a problem as it didn't feel satisfying when I snapped it back onto the board.

I was also having problems with the controllers connecting. I just upgraded the ram and installed an M.2 drive. I removed the bluetooth chip while I did it. When I reinstalled everything, I used my Torx screwdriver to push on the antenna connectors. Once I rebooted, the controllers connected immediately.. Thanks for these posts, or I never would've done it.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, swlovinist said:

Updated the console and controllers.   Having some issues with connectivity dropping in games(Thrustmaster).   Does how is Atari handling issues like this if people are still having trouble?

I opened a ticket when I discovered my issue and they still haven't gotten back to me. ??‍♂️

6 hours ago, swlovinist said:

Updated the console and controllers.   Having some issues with connectivity dropping in games(Thrustmaster).   Does how is Atari handling issues like this if people are still having trouble?

The base Linux operating system handles all the Bluetooth controller communication, so it's not game specific.
All the games do is read the device inputs, send rumble or 
If your controller is disconnecting, perhaps the battery is low? That's the only reason I can think of for a disconnect.

I'd imagine you'd contact Atari support, and after some tests, they'd just replace your system, like with any fault.