IGNORED

faxanadu help

In some ways, it would seem that the game was rushed out the door.  For instance, there is a full inventory worth of unusable items (you can only get them with a special save password, so that's not a problem at least).  But it shows that the ambitions were likely far greater than what was released.

In short, it is entirely possible that you are SOL if you don't have that one extra mattock.  Do you have a password that you can use to go back to that village and try again?

On the good side, I re-reverse-engineered the mantra system.  So it's possible to fix unwinnable situations by tweaking a password.  I also made a list of the unusable items:

Crystal

Lamp

Book

Black Potion

Fire Crystal

Also, all of the items that are supposed to appear in your stats page can also be added as inventory items, which makes them completely unusable.

faxanadu.py

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

I don't think you can get stuck.  I know what you're talking about, but it's not necessary to go back, just inconvenient at best if you wanted those expensive items early.  It's a few hours work, and boring as sin, but it's doable and very useful.

I think he was talking about the first fight with that "Dwarf", the blue dragon thing.  It will give you a mattock ONCE.  If you go die before making it to the next town, you will revive back in the second town, and now the "Dwarf" will no longer give you another mattock either.  Your only option then is to use a password that doesn't have the "Dwarf" defeated.

3 hours ago, bradhig1 said:

I  can't get  through a door at the top because I don' have a stupid rinig to open it and don't know where to find it.

If you're talking about the entrance to that multi-door castle, take the ladder up and continue.  Eventually you'll find a guru who will hand you the last ring.

ahh ok well I guess I lucked into not having that horrible glitch (or forgot.)

What's so cheesy about that password?  Max stats/gear?  That should make the game a bit more enjoyable, not exactly easier as it's nasty if you're powered up or not, and at times a bit confusing in exploration, so if anything that would be a help.

2 hours ago, Tanooki said:

ahh ok well I guess I lucked into not having that horrible glitch (or forgot.)

What's so cheesy about that password?  Max stats/gear?  That should make the game a bit more enjoyable, not exactly easier as it's nasty if you're powered up or not, and at times a bit confusing in exploration, so if anything that would be a help.

All gear and max level starting at the very starting town.  Though I left out the pendant.  Believe it or not, the pendant actually WEAKENS the Dragon Slayer.  Don't know about the other weapons though, but it definitely turns some 2-hit kills into 3-hit kills for instance, as with the dwarf knights.

• Like 1