IGNORED

Packrat Video Games Voluntary Recall

PackratVG

Hi Jarett,

I just wanted to say don't feel too bad about this. It's happened to almost everyone who has released 2600 items in any significant quantity, and since you're doing the right thing everything will be ok.

I'll also say to anyone else reading that you shouldn't let this worry you either. Although I've never dealt with Packrat, something like this doesn't give me any concerns about the quality of their product, I think it's just a fact of life with the 2600.

From my testing and experience, I'd guess that the problems will not restrict themselves only to six switch 2600s, but to a general random sampling of 2600s (although it may be weighted more towards one model.)

I've found a lot of variance in 2600s that I've tested, especially in the clock signal that drives the system. I've found as much as 25% jitter on the clock, and that can create all kinds of problems. It's probably something along these lines that is causing your problems.

Anyway, I just wanted to throw some support your way,

Chad

This just further proves Packrat's high quality in their products and business practices. I will buy from them again. 8)

Anyway,  I just wanted to throw some support your way,

Chad

Look out! I'm throwing some support your way as well! :D ;)

Thank you everyone for your support. I greatly appreciate it. I spent over six hours yesterday testing and re-testing to confirm that it is an EPROM problem. It appears that we had a few 2732A's mixed in that were a different speed. I'm no expert on timing issues, but I'm very tempted to say that EPROM speed is the cause of the problem.

Just as a reminder to anyone reading this, we stand behind our products 100%. If you have any concern at all about a game that we sold you, please don't be shy. We'll do everything necessary to make sure that you are pleased.

Thanks,

Jarett

P.S. Since we have no way of contacting everyone that purchased a homebrew from us at CGE, please pass the word onto others that may not read this board or DP. Thanks!

Thomas,

Most of the time the game won't even boot. Sometimes, however, the game will start but then quickly crashes. When whis happens, usually a few pixels on the screen are scrambled. Interestingly, this only occurs with six switch systems. Jr's and four switch systems don't have any problems at all with the 2732A. I hope that this answers your question!

Thanks,

Jarett