IGNORED

Can't get a Game Port to detect on my 5160 XT

Zap!

I have a XT and a card called the I/O Mini II (see pic). I made sure the Game Port is enabled with the E12 jumper being closed. I also bought this ribbon cable, and connected a joystick.

Games like Centipede don't detect any joystick. Some games freeze when detecting, like Pacmania (even Ctrl+Alt+Del won't work). I have obviously tried unplugging the ribbon cable from the card's port and turning around, and even tried a different joystick with the same results. With the E12 jumper open, Pacmania won't freeze, but it still won't detect.

Oddly enough, a Game Port is detected when I run MSD, even with the I/O II Mini removed. I have tried removing all of the cards to see if there's a potential conflict, such as the hard drive card, floppy, etc. MSD still detects. The only card I couldn't remove was my CGA card.

So, I have a couple of theories:

1) It's just a glitch in MSD. It says Game Adapter detected every time.

2) My video card is causing the conflict.

3) Me mobo (unlikely) is going or needs jumpers set.

If the answer is 1, the reason why my games don't work with joystick:

4) The game card is bad.

5) The ribbon cable is bad.

Any other guesses? I have the XT and HD running so nicely now, but really want to play some games with a joystick.

image_61986.jpg

image_61987.jpg

So apparently the reason it's not working is because of the two empty sockets on the top left. It's missing the NE558 and 74LS244 chips. I just ordered them, so crossing my fingers that it'll work when they arrive.