IGNORED

Agartha - the biggest disappointment in cancelled Dreamcast games

awbacon

I think I remember the game was supposed to have a strong focus on consequences to your actions, with branching paths in the storyline. I know that's the kind of things a lot of players get excited about, but to me, it's always the sign the game is probably too ambitious and won't end up that way (a la Fable). Well, in this case, it didn't end up at all. ?

I have a lot of respect for Frederick Raynal, but it always has been a problem with western developers, especially from France (Beyond Good & Evil 2 being the absolute caricature of that philosophy). That's why I prefer Japanese games; they tend to stick to classic formulas but at least the games 'work' and age better.

On 6/23/2021 at 2:14 AM, roots.genoa said:

I think I remember the game was supposed to have a strong focus on consequences to your actions, with branching paths in the storyline. I know that's the kind of things a lot of players get excited about, but to me, it's always the sign the game is probably too ambitious and won't end up that way (a la Fable). Well, in this case, it didn't end up at all. ?

I have a lot of respect for Frederick Raynal, but it always has been a problem with western developers, especially from France (Beyond Good & Evil 2 being the absolute caricature of that philosophy). That's why I prefer Japanese games; they tend to stick to classic formulas but at least the games 'work' and age better.

It would have been fun to see what would have ultimately came of Agartha had it released. I always wonder what would have been  

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/19/2021 at 11:27 PM, moycon said:

I recalling seeing this game years ago and thinking it was amazing looking. The Dreamcast was always a favorite system of mine, and stuff like this is why. 

yeah it seemed super interesting and unique which was what Dreamcast was best at