IGNORED

FloB - teaser

bocianu

On 7/1/2021 at 10:17 PM, Mq. said:

Perhaps one of them will be yours ?

carts1.thumb.jpg.5eeb78b3db75369800fedafe35864363.jpg

carts2.thumb.jpg.d1b0819efbee19a299cdcdc99716e747.jpg

Pretty excited to get my hands on one of these. I'm holding off downloading and trying it out. I would prefer to try it for the first time when I get one of these sexy carts!  I assume we will get a message on how to order here on Atari age if we are on the list?

• Like 2

1. Beeblebrox
2. invisible kid
3. Philsan
4. Sub(Function(:))
5. Spancho
6. CAVOKER
7. 8bitguy1
8. Roydea6
9. pps
10. CharlieChaplin
11. Lord Thag
12. Wilheim
13. Dinadan67
14. TrekMD
15. martinez
16. Ndary
17. Oldyoldson
18. Hurrican

19. a6502

20. Allan
21. hasanc

22. janzh

23. electrohaze

24. Gunstar

25. Tigerduck

26. mariusz-buk

27. manopac

28. atari-passion

29. FifthPlayer

30. adam242

How did I miss this?? Looks fantastic!

Wow - Powered this up on my SIDE3 around an hour ago and boy is this game addictive. :lust:

Well done @bocianu (and all involved) :thumbsup:- it's really well thought out and crafted. I am not aware of any other title on the A8 that is quite like it. (I do love Ridiculous Reality which has a great game mechanic too. In a different way it reminds me of how engaged I was when I first booted up and started playing Blinky's scary school BITD).

FYI I am not giving away any spoilers here - just commenting on the environment, mechanics and gameplay. 

The incredibly engaging and rewarding gameplay and puzzle solving mechanics I found surprisingly uncomplicated to pick up. (And that's isn't to say it's not challenging - it has just the right balance of hand to eye coordination, a learning curve and much needed trial and error at times). The first 10mins I thought "this is going to be tricky" and then it just clicked and I found myself quickly moving through some of the earlier screens. Some screens are a real challenge initially.

The screen flipping element is great. What's more it's not just a case of moving, flipping the screen, moving, flipping, etc etc, in a predicable way. Sometimes you are flipping several times a second whilst free falling/navigating yourself in the direction you want to go. All the while working out the puzzle(s) that particular screen is presenting.

I love the challenge of constantly re-orienting yourself and the joystick controls respond perfectly. The collision detection is spot on from what I have experienced so far, which is needed as this game is fast!:-D (Although it allows you time to stop and think when needed).

And furthermore a rare occurance - an ingame musical background track that doesn't annoy me. (Much as I love the Brundles the music can drive you crazy very quickly). The game over screen music when you die is even catchy.:music:

I am moving through the screens at rewarding pace which in itself I find really motivates me as the player. To see the variety of creatively drawn screens unfold before you really is great to see in a game. Nice use of colour and animation and each tells a bit more of the story.

I love the fact that it's not always obvious where to go and some parts of the environment you can pass through. Also I like the fact some things that appear dangerous aren't and visa versa. All adds an element of exploration. 

I also like the fact you don't simply have a set number of lives. The slime countdown and collection system works well and the incentive to collect the slime to boost your lifespan and time is great. You don't always have to collect all slime if you don't want to. (Many games of the "collect everything to progress" type can be very repetitive and frustrating in some respects).

The various "triggers", (no spoilers), which might say power down a barrier on another screen to allow progression somewhere else in the level is a very nice touch to the puzzle element.The Triggers themselves are not obvious at times either, which adds to the intrigue.

Finally the fast and fluid animation of Flob itself is great as is the gravity physics and momentum. :grin:

Honestly it's already fast becoming my favourite game on the A8 and I've been playing less than an hour. The shear number of screens/levels which I am aware await me I am sure will keep me engaged.:grin:

I was playing PoP yesterday which is amazing too. 

Great to see such a title of this quality, size and ambition come out for the Atari 8-bit and I am looking forward to owning the Cart version as and when. :grin:

Edited by Beeblebrox
typos
  • Like 3

Agreed! Such quality. Like a triple-a nes game. I'm going spoiler-free too, trying to find the hidden room. It's just the one level for this release, right? Kudos, I know how much work it takes to sand every edge smooth and to add touches like showing the distant effects of your actions and the helpful hints.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, invisible kid said:

Agreed! Such quality. Like a triple-a nes game. I'm going spoiler-free too, trying to find the hidden room. It's just the one level for this release, right? Kudos, I know how much work it takes to sand every edge smooth and to add touches like showing the distant effects of your actions and the helpful hints.

@invisible kid:-D Far as I am aware this free download is the full release. (The other levels/worlds are just locked until you progress/unlock them). The game is free, with the opportunity to donate to the author. Whereas it's just the cart version and then a lifetime of free updates that you pay for if you want to. Well worth buying the cart version to own this ultimate classic in years to come. I am on the list for one.

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, invisible kid said:

Yes, the game is free in full version.

There are two hidden locations on each level, they are usually bigger than just one single room. 

Thank you for such praise guys!

I'm very pleased that you like the game.

I also had a lot of fun preparing all these puzzles ;) 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, bocianu said:

Yes, the game is free in full version.

There are two hidden locations on each level, they are usually bigger than just one single room. 

Thank you for such praise guys!

I'm very pleased that you like the game.

I also had a lot of fun preparing all these puzzles ;) 

@bocianu Thank you for raising the game (no pun intended) and supporting the Atari. Looking forward to playing more of your future projects. ?

INHO the Indieretronews website could ideally do with updating to announce the release of FloB. (It's probably on the cards tbh).

They ran the story a couple of weeks back here and it would be great if there was a new announcement with perhaps some more screenshots/vids on the front page for the XL/XE section, with a new link to Bocianu's own website/FloB downloads page. 

Like PoP, (plus also The Last Squadron, Atari Blast! and Space Harrier before),  this is a significant milestone for A8 (IMHO) and deserves a shout/boost.:grin: 

Edited by Beeblebrox