IGNORED

Just an aside from a somewhat similar hobby that needs tech

Mockduck

Seemed to be fairly similar to what folks like Atari, Intellivision and others are having over the past year+. From a local RC store newsletter:

Here we go again!

You would have thought that after all we've gone through over the last year and a half, things would have straightened out on the shipping and product availability thing, but that's a big no. We went a long time with very little product availability, and then things started to get quite a bit better. Now it's starting to take an ugly turn again. I've been trying to make sure that we've got what you need in stock when you're looking for it, but damn is that a challenge. If it's not stuff being out of stock, it's shipping that takes 3,5, and even 8 days longer than it should. I've even had stuff say it was coming, and then got a refund because their inventory was wrong, and we weren't getting any. At this point I'm used to making no promises on when something is going to arrive. We just go with, it might be here on _______day, but... Fortunately we're not the only industry or business that's having these issues, so people are pretty used to it at this point, but I really like to have a gauge on when and how many, so it can still be frustrating.

Not to sound salesy, but if you are looking to get something, and we have it in stock, you may not want to hesitate. Even the manufacturers can't pin down solid dates. I've seen products on our backorder lists jump from it's coming in next week, to now 3 months out. That makes it a little tough to tell someone when they'll get what their looking for, but fortunately we only deal with RC cars, planes, and boats, and not something health related or another item you need. We just deal with the fun stuff. :)

• Thanks 1

I'm oldschool. Grew up in the day of mail-order catalogs where it could take up to 4-6 weeks for processing after receiving your mailed-in check. And you simply hoped you received the product. With no updates in-between. Had only one problem in all those years. So I'm ok with delays and long wait times.

Today, sure, it's much different. With 24-hour delivery capability and all times in-between that and one week, expectations have changed.

At the same time there is ZERO EXCUSE for businesses not getting back up to speed. Use that fancy schmancy AI-enhanced just-in-time supply chain to make it work. Use those whiz-bang resume submission sites to hire back people you should not have let go. Demand more from those consultant and services outsourcing companies. Make them deliver what those nebulous ads say they deliver. Make prices affordable.

Let me know when you sort that shit out.

• Like 1

My solution to the supply-chain issues is to just not purchase anything anymore! In the last 18 months, I have only bought food and other necessary consumables. It is a very liberating feeling.  

I have enough books, video games, and DVDs to keep me entertained for the next several years. The clothing that I have is adequate to my needs (albeit looking a bit shabby). There is nothing that I need

On the other hand, I will have a significant down payment saved for a condo when I retire in just a few years. I will have enough extra to pay for renovations/painting and some new furniture. I will probably even purchase a new PlayStation 6.  

• Like 3

On 6/24/2021 at 4:16 PM, Keatah said:

I'm oldschool. Grew up in the day of mail-order catalogs where it could take up to 4-6 weeks for processing after receiving your mailed-in check. And you simply hoped you received the product. With no updates in-between. Had only one problem in all those years. So I'm ok with delays and long wait times.

Today, sure, it's much different. With 24-hour delivery capability and all times in-between that and one week, expectations have changed.

At the same time there is ZERO EXCUSE for businesses not getting back up to speed. Use that fancy schmancy AI-enhanced just-in-time supply chain to make it work. Use those whiz-bang resume submission sites to hire back people you should not have let go. Demand more from those consultant and services outsourcing companies. Make them deliver what those nebulous ads say they deliver. Make prices affordable.

Let me know when you sort that shit out.

I'm sure an army of consultants will be happy to descend on companies to (allegedly) implement this new paradigm!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/24/2021 at 11:39 AM, Mockduck said:

Seemed to be fairly similar to what folks like Atari, Intellivision and others are having over the past year+. From a local RC store newsletter:

Here we go again!

You would have thought that after all we've gone through over the last year and a half, things would have straightened out on the shipping and product availability thing, but that's a big no. We went a long time with very little product availability, and then things started to get quite a bit better. Now it's starting to take an ugly turn again. I've been trying to make sure that we've got what you need in stock when you're looking for it, but damn is that a challenge. If it's not stuff being out of stock, it's shipping that takes 3,5, and even 8 days longer than it should. I've even had stuff say it was coming, and then got a refund because their inventory was wrong, and we weren't getting any. At this point I'm used to making no promises on when something is going to arrive. We just go with, it might be here on _______day, but... Fortunately we're not the only industry or business that's having these issues, so people are pretty used to it at this point, but I really like to have a gauge on when and how many, so it can still be frustrating.

Not to sound salesy, but if you are looking to get something, and we have it in stock, you may not want to hesitate. Even the manufacturers can't pin down solid dates. I've seen products on our backorder lists jump from it's coming in next week, to now 3 months out. That makes it a little tough to tell someone when they'll get what their looking for, but fortunately we only deal with RC cars, planes, and boats, and not something health related or another item you need. We just deal with the fun stuff. :)

It blows my mind how helpless some of these companies act.  The tools are there to do business and get stuff done.  It always boils down to "we don't want to spend the money to do it right".

• Like 2