IGNORED

TI-99/7

1 hour ago, FarmerPotato said:

Same photo is used in http://shawweb.myzen.co.uk/stephen/tihistory.htm (I love that article by the way)

Don Bynum built the Z80 Rangers in response to the TI-99/4.

Then his name appears on the two terminals: L00142 (1980 ?, T&P Division of Data Systems) and L00143 (1981). At the end of 1980 he became the head of the TI Home Computer Division. The TI-99 / 4A is launched on the market. And the TI-99/2 and TI-99/8 would also have come onto the market under his leadership. Amazing.

• Thanks 1

Speaking of the 765 terminal, there is a decent looking one in Weatherford TX on Ebay right now. Starting bid $70, ~$20 shipping. No bids and It's been relisted once already. I'm tempted but I have too much on my plate already and can't justify the expense, so...  Perhaps the seller would consider local pickup if asked, too. Those old case plastics don't always ship well.

• 3 weeks later...

Just for reference, here's what a 765 looks like: https://www.ebay.com/itm/255058436258?hash=item3b62aae0a2:g:LrUAAOSwZI1g2gt0 (Somebody got a good deal on that, btw)

745 is very similar. 765 has offline storage in the form of bubble memory. The Insight 10 case appears to be modified from or inspired by the 99/4, as has been noted.

Recreating a 99/7 aka SR70 might be an interesting project.

765_05.jpg

Edited by jbdigriz
  • Like 2

• 2 years later...
22 hours ago, RickyDean said:

Awesome, he doesn't happen to have a load of good documents about the TI related stuff does he? I'd like to see more info on that Double Density controller.

Anecdotally, the DSDD controller was called "Lewisville" after a TI facility. Perhaps 250  PCBs were distributed, perhaps among TI Employees.  The DSDD floppies didn't read on anything else, unless possibly  the HexBus floppy drive.

One time this complicated our Front Range 99ers newsletter production, as the editor had one of these DSDD and handed off a floppy.

I found a bare board "Lewisville" in my dad's stuff.  Don't  recall where it is now. 

Coincidentally-- wasn't  it using the NEC 765 floppy controller chip? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FarmerPotato said:

Yes, the TI DSDD controller used a 765 and 16 sectors per track for DD, like the original DSR for the Myarc DDCC.  A feature of the 765 — like the SMC9234 of the Myarc HFDC — was that it could not handle the shorter post-index gap that the Western Digital 177x and 279x could create.

I learned this when my HFDC could not read the Myarc supplied MDM5 disks.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, FarmerPotato said:

Anecdotally, the DSDD controller was called "Lewisville" after a TI facility. Perhaps 250  PCBs were distributed, perhaps among TI Employees.  The DSDD floppies didn't read on anything else, unless possibly  the HexBus floppy drive.

One time this complicated our Front Range 99ers newsletter production, as the editor had one of these DSDD and handed off a floppy.

I found a bare board "Lewisville" in my dad's stuff.  Don't  recall where it is now. 

I know that a number of kits were provided to (sold to?) members of the TI Engineering Users' Group in Dallas. My first encounter with one of the DSDD controllers was when I bought a kit from this group on eBay back in late 2000 or early 2001. The DM3 cartridge for the kit even had a special splash screen, IIRC.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/21/2024 at 7:55 PM, Ksarul said:

Here's all the data we have on the DSDD Controller. . .I rebuilt the schematic a few years back to help troubleshoot the boards I have.

A3-TI DSDD-FDC-P1.pdf 217.86 kB · 10 downloads A3-TI DSDD-FDC-P2.pdf 201.07 kB · 7 downloads TI DSDD FDC Manual and DSDD FDC GPL Interface Manual.pdf 3.33 MB · 8 downloads

going thru my cards, i had my DSDD out, so i took some pictures of it.

PXL_20240130_235200549.MP.jpg

PXL_20240130_235214944.jpg

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Gary from OPA said:

going thru my cards, i had my DSDD out, so i took some pictures of it.

PXL_20240130_235200549.MP.jpg

PXL_20240130_235214944.jpg

Lookin Good !! Is it possible to remove that shield and finish getting photos, without damaging the controller?

Edited by RickyDean
added content

I've seen that particular monster of an aluminum heat sink on a couple of these boards now. Based on the literature I've seen describing the boards through the years, this board had a serious overheating problem. I'm wondering if one of the newer solid-state regulation solutions would eliminate that issue. . .I may have to get one and try it out with one of the two I have here (I bought one as a completed board and the other was purchased as one of the kits sold to the Dallas TI Engineering Users' Group that I found for sale on eBay in the early 2000s).

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Ksarul said:

(I bought one as a completed board and the other was purchased as one of the kits sold to the Dallas TI Engineering Users' Group that I found for sale on eBay in the early 2000s).

Could you posts high resolution photos of the board itself from the kit? Be interesting to see if I can build one on your protoboard or the Bunyan board.

8 hours ago, RickyDean said:

Could you posts high resolution photos of the board itself from the kit? Be interesting to see if I can build one on your protoboard or the Bunyan board.

I actually built that board about 15 years ago, so I no longer have access to it in unbuilt form. I did take a couple of scans from it before I built the board, but they were lost in a disk corruption incident on the Windows 98 machine they were stored on a couple of weeks after I made the scans (and before I had done one of my monthly backups on the disk). I was a bit annoyed about that. The scans may still exist, but not in my possession. I made them originally for Michael Becker, as he was interested in the board back then.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Ksarul said:

I've seen that particular monster of an aluminum heat sink on a couple of these boards now. Based on the literature I've seen describing the boards through the years, this board had a serious overheating problem. I'm wondering if one of the newer solid-state regulation solutions would eliminate that issue. . .I may have to get one and try it out with one of the two I have here (I bought one as a completed board and the other was purchased as one of the kits sold to the Dallas TI Engineering Users' Group that I found for sale on eBay in the early 2000s).

Problem is the current draw, the amount of chips on the board it is drawing too much for that little regulator. I have issues just running it on fully stock PEB with all 8 card slots full and two half-height floppy drives, the voltage drop on the PEB lines starts to hit.

• Like 1