IGNORED

Can anyone identify this dot matrix printer next to a Neo-Geo?

Zap!

I apologize for the horrendous quality, but it's the only know one that I have. First, I'll tell you what I know for certain. This was once mine, and this capture is from 1992. I got the printer in 1991. So the model is no newer than 1991, although it could be older (if the stock was old).

Those stipes on it are just the sun reflecting on my blinds. It was all-white. Sitting in front of it is a Neo-Geo. That can provide a great clue as to the size. It appears to be an inch high in the front, then sleekly rises. There was a very large, smoked plastic cover that opened. Looks like it started about 5 inches back. I believe there's input on the right (out of focus), but I'm not certain. However it appears to show a button in the pic.

Any help would be appreciated. I'd love to once again have my old printer model back again. I do not know the make of te printer by the way.

screencapture-youtube-watch-2021-06-24-03_09_28.png

Edited by Zap!

6 hours ago, wierd_w said:

I want to say that the profile resembles a Star Micronics printer... but I cannot positively identify.

It does a bit, but I don't think so. I can't ever remember having any printer by that company. I really wish I had a better pic. There's also a good chance that I have the receipt. I found one for my Atari STE.

Actually maybe you’re right. I found this “wish list” dated 2-15-1989 (yeah, I save everything, I know I’m weird) that I wrote. Note the printer. While that’s not the printer in question, it shows that I definitely knew about their products.

Interestingly enough, the only thing on that entire list that I ever actually got was the desk! :D

image.jpg

• 2 years later...

I found two clues that I circled. The top circle shows what appears to be an indent so that you can lift the smoked plastic cover without struggling. The bottom circle shows what could possibly be a company badge.

Cropped.jpg

14 hours ago, wierd_w said:

Looks 'very similar' to Star Micronics SG-10, but not quite it.

I'd say it's probably a Star, but cant pin down the model.

6 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

I was thinking Star, but it could also be a Panasonic.

It also looks very much like an Epson AP-80. The button scheme is identical, just on the wrong side. They are membrane, and it even has the top blue one. Unfortunately, it has the ugly, angled cover that I hate (mine goes all the way to the back and was smooth, and didn't arch up halfway through). Before anyone says my photo might be mirrored, it isn't. The Neo-Geo's reset button is on the left, just like in my pic.

printer.jpg

There appears to be no badge on the front, which makes me think it is an OEMed printer, like how Lexmark made the IBM printers, Epson made the Commodore printers, &c.  It could also be that the control panel is the badge.

These are the major brands I find advertised in a COMPUTE! Magazine of the era in question: Seikosha (Seiko,) Star Micronics, Citizen, Okidata, Panasonic, Brother, Toshiba, and Epson.  I am almost positive that Lexmark was selling dot matrix back then, as well, and Canon was also a thing.

I also checked to make sure the video was not somehow flipped horizontally, but everything fits: the Atari ST keyboard layout and the NeoGeo AES button.

Then I thought, what if it is not a dot matrix?  What if it was a thermal transfer printer (like the Okidata Okimate 10) or a bubble jet?  The smoked translucent cover keeps me away from things like inkjet or laser printers.

19 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

Then I thought, what if it is not a dot matrix?  What if it was a thermal transfer printer (like the Okidata Okimate 10) or a bubble jet?  The smoked translucent cover keeps me away from things like inkjet or laser printers.

No, it's definitely dot matrix. I produced Zap! newsletter on it from September, 1991 to January, 1993. I remember the distinct sound, plus the newsletter even says something like "This newsletter was produced on an Atari 1040 STe with a dot matrix printer." I even have a lot of what I printed from 1991 to 1995 on that printer. Quality is standard dot matrix.

I'm playing around with my scanner settings, and scanned it to a much higher resolution. Perhaps it will show more clues until I find the negative. Here it is:

Mystery Printer cropped.jpg

Wow, this one is extremely close. On another forum, someone told me about an eBay listing for a printer called the N.L.Q. 180-II. I searched for it but found nothing besides the listing an a couple of references in an old ad. The only difference that I see is that in the four button area, it appears wider than mine, as it looks like there is very little grey/black to the right of my buttons. Might also might have a darker smoked plastic. I'm attaching pics.

It has to be a variant of that. I just don't think I'd but a Commodore printer when I had an Atari.

Printer 1.jpg

Printer 2.jpg

Printer 3.jpg

• Like 2

I am thinking that might be the printer, unless there is something more you remember about yours.  From your video perspective, the cover obscures any area which would be to the left of the buttons.  The appearance of the smoke coloring can change with viewing angle.  The angles and the lack of a badge on the front area match up.

As for buying a Commodore printer for your ST: even though that listing says it is for the Commodore 64, it is a parallel printer, not a CBM serial.  It will not work with a C64 without a special interface.  It is not a Commodore printer, it is manufactured by Shinwa of America.

I think you found it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

I am thinking that might be the printer, unless there is something more you remember about yours.  From your video perspective, the cover obscures any area which would be to the left of the buttons.  The appearance of the smoke coloring can change with viewing angle.  The angles and the lack of a badge on the front area match up.

As for buying a Commodore printer for your ST: even though that listing says it is for the Commodore 64, it is a parallel printer, not a CBM serial.  It will not work with a C64 without a special interface.  It is not a Commodore printer, it is manufactured by Shinwa of America.

I think you found it.

I don't think it's it. Look at the four buttons on each printer. Then look at the dark, greyish panel border around the buttons. On the Shinwa, there's roughly an inch to the right of the buttons before it gets to the white casing. On the mystery printer, it's a fraction of an inch of grey panel to the right of the buttons. I've attached a photo detailing.

And while the angle could make mine look more smoked than it was, I'm remembering it to be pretty dark. I also think that it was a major (Panasonic, Epson) or semi-major (Star) brand. I'm gonna tear up my archives looking for more clues. I want to think that I have something, perhaps a receipt or note or a better pic.

Printers compared.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The printer in question has been identified as a Sears SR1000 printer by a user on Vintage Computer Federation Forums in this thread. It is a variation of the N.L.Q. 180-II previously posted here. It was sold in Sears, which makes sense since it was early to mid-1991. It was right before I discovered mail-order, and Sears was was of the only options on Staten Island at the time for computer hardware (along with RadioShack.  Here's a 1990 Sears Christmas catalog featuring the printer, as well as a picture provided by a user who owns the printer.

Anyway, although it's been solved, I still need your help! Information is scarce, as Google is barely registering anything. I know @wierd_w is an outstanding searcher of info, among others. Anything you can find please let me know, such as variations, manuals, ribbon type, etc. I'd love to find one for sale too, with that being the ultimate goal here.

Screenshot_20230807_204021_Chrome~2.jpg

IMG_20230807_190802281.jpg

• Like 1

These folks have ribbons for the shinwa nlq 180 in their brochure.

https://www.fullmark.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/Fullmark_Ribbon_Catalogue_2013.pdf

Granted, its an old one.

They dont have sears sr1000 though.

I will keep looking.

The following textfile suggests the SR1000 and the Shinwa NLQ180's (and a bunch of others') ribbons are compatible with 3 commodore printers, suggesting a standardized cassette.

http://www.zimmers.net/cbmpics/cbm/printers/ribbons.txt

Shall I keep looking?

Kept looking:

cannot find a manual fro the SR1000. Lots of hits for a typewriter of the same maker and model number, but no printer info.

Edited by wierd_w
  • Like 1

On 8/8/2023 at 11:16 AM, wierd_w said:

These folks have ribbons for the shinwa nlq 180 in their brochure.

https://www.fullmark.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/Fullmark_Ribbon_Catalogue_2013.pdf

Granted, its an old one.

They dont have sears sr1000 though.

I will keep looking.

The following textfile suggests the SR1000 and the Shinwa NLQ180's (and a bunch of others') ribbons are compatible with 3 commodore printers, suggesting a standardized cassette.

http://www.zimmers.net/cbmpics/cbm/printers/ribbons.txt

Shall I keep looking?

Kept looking:

cannot find a manual fro the SR1000. Lots of hits for a typewriter of the same maker and model number, but no printer info.

Thanks for that printer info, I will pass it over to the poster who has the SR1000. They appear to be essentially the same printer, so it should work. I'll also let him know that it may also be compatible with those Commodore printers.

That's too bad about the manual. I likely gave mine up when I got rid of my printer (probably sold it unless it broke, I can't remember). It's really odd that something sold in a major store in the early 90's seems rarer than UFO sightings. :D

Since the Sears SR1000 is identical (al least by looks) to the Shinwa NLQ180 except for the badges, do you think there could be more variations? My ultimate goal will be to find one for sale, but somehow it's proving very tough. There's a Shinwa NLQ180 available, but I don't want anything with a cracked cover.