IGNORED

HSC18 Round 11: WHISTLER'S BROTHER & NEPTUNE'S DAUGHTER

Whistler's Brother

One of my all time favourites, was last? played back in Season 6 when I stated in the HSC! Some tips below but there are 10ish stages to complete and then the game repeats with faster adversaries. Don't be put off by the initial difficulty, once it clicks you have one of the most enjoyable games going.

whistler_s_brother_2.gif.b489ed8ad3beea24d32eeacbd9e15829.gifwhistlers_brother.png.e192c01c5c917b17da29e1871182b3d2.pngwhistler_s_brother_7.gif.84291d5a6a8ccfdaf8db6ee558c5af2b.gif

Links

Try the one on Atari Vjetnam Archive:

http://atari.vjetnam.cz/index.php?frame=&dir=w&frame=lett&page=1

atarimania has instructions

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-whistler-s-brother_5760.html

Ye olde trbb tips:

Ok folks: here's the key to the game - work out where the tools are and go get them ASAP. Whistle matey boy and at the same time move in the direction you wish him to go; best done when he is level with the place where you wish him to go.... simple innit :?: :!: Use the diagonals to move/climb faster. (The game only saves the top three scores ever... I've got a long way to go to get on my scoreboard ;) )

Ok you asked for it; here's Bounty Bob's Whistling Guide Part II: It's all about.... .... timing :) whistle exactly when he the Dr is in line with the place you wish him to climb, descend or go across. If the Dr is not going as far as you want him to then whistle whilst moving in the direction you want him to move in. I generally always move and whistle. You can sort of remote control him in this way without being near him.

To rack up points collect both the tools, collect an artifact then park the Dr somewhere safe, hmmm better park him safe first come to think of it... then unleash some high-speed whirlwind kick ass on the arrow/bunny/mummy etc (diagonal after moving left or right with the button held in or, if you're wanting to play it cool, just hold up once a whirlin' to stand still and let them commit suicide on you, if it eases your concience a bit who am I to judge) then collect the next item and repeat and repeat, ka-ching :)

Think there's extra men every 10K as I heard a little noise somewhere. Be careful with not scrolling him off and when getting on ladders. Try and not scroll him until he looks like he knows what he is doing! All clear now? good :D

BONUS GAME

NEPTUNE'S DAUGHTER

neptunes_daughters.png.756463bfcd88f1bf0861b12cb1ea0ce7.png

http://a8.fandal.cz/detail.php?files_id=2523

EVERYONE WELCOME TO PLAY

ROUND NOW ENDS THURSDAY 15th July 10pm UK time

Edited by therealbountybob
Bonus Game Neptunes Daughter - extended until Thu 15th July 10pm UK time
  • Like 1

Ok, I've found something out:  Do not use the Fandal version, as the scoring is whacked out and you start with 10 lives.  The Title screen is also garbled and the ship level is impossible to finish because a piece of one of the stairs disappears.  Then you can't go up (which you need to do in order to clear level 2.)  See pics 1 and 2 for examples.

Playing the version from the Atarimania page, it seems to be correct.  Made it to level 3 with a score of 17,600.

Starting screen.png

10 lives.png

Whistler 17600.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ok, as I'm playing along, I have a few more thoughts (if anyone cares.)  :)

1.  On the positive note:  The game has it's charm.  Yes, trying to get your dumbass brother to follow you is a pain in the butt, but it's an interesting premise, to say the least.  

2.  There's definitely some challenge to this one.  If you like puzzle adventure-type games, then this is worth your time.

On the not so positive note...this game is ugly as sin!  Once you get to level 3, this game gets VERY hard on the eyes.  The background looks like a garbled mess with trees and vines to climb.  There is, in fact, some garbled graphics to contend with.  Maybe my copy is corrupt, I don't know, but here's a pic of the beginning of the jungle level.

Garbled Graphics Again.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Deteacher said:

Ok, I've found something out:  Do not use the Fandal version, as the scoring is whacked out and you start with 10 lives.  The Title screen is also garbled and the ship level is impossible to finish because a piece of one of the stairs disappears.  Then you can't go up (which you need to do in order to clear level 2.)  See pics 1 and 2 for examples.

Playing the version from the Atarimania page, it seems to be correct.  Made it to level 3 with a score of 17,600.

Oh no! I need the xex in order to play it on my ultimate cart! I did notice that I had 10 lives...thought the game was really just nice. But even worse is that the game is actually broken. I knew I was getting the hang of it and things just weren't correct. Guess I'll have to figure out how to get my dualshock 3 working with my emulator so I can stand a chance. Hmph, thanks for the info!

• Like 1

Made it to chapter 4.  21,000!  That ladder got me.  I thought it was just more garbled graphics...turns out that crap is supposed to be there to kill you if you touch it.  :(

I looked at the scores from the last time this was played.  Once TRBB finds his mojo, I think we're all in trouble.  ;)

Whistler 21000.png

Edited by Deteacher
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Deteacher said:

Starting screen.png

10 lives.png

Whistler 17600.png

Thank you, cos that's been driving me round the bend. I couldn't work out the ship level and it started to occur to me that perhaps there was something missing!

• Like 2

21 hours ago, carlsson said:

Do we feel a desire for a bonus game? Going with the family theme, I'm pondering if Neptune's Daughter (last played 2014) possibly is too good for playing second fiddle.

I'll second that idea - I like Neptune's Daughter.

60,500 Reached Chapter 9 just! Loving playing WB again, can't quite remember the levels so it makes it even more fun. We'll go into the joint poll winner for the next round then start again with a new set of game from the games list, so like McKong has done please add/update with anything you would like to see played.

Worth reading my review of WB in Pro(c) Atari Magazine Issue #12 of course you would do better buying them all to save on postage. TShirts and Mugs recommended too, all good quality. Tshirts may be little on the smaller side.

• Like 2

Anyone with a link to a working version of Whistler's Brother?  I'm on an old floppy so ok!!

Try Atari Vjetnam Archive:

http://atari.vjetnam.cz/index.php?frame=&dir=w&frame=lett&page=1

Remember to use those diagonals to run and check the first post for some hints.

OK Bonus game Neptune's Daughter, bit easy and repetitive but fun, also I've reviewed ESC's Smash Hits 2 and 3 in the last issue of Pro(c) Atari Magazine. 

http://a8.fandal.cz/detail.php?files_id=2523

Will knock up some tables here...

...first tables

WHISTLER'S BROTHER

1st  trbb            60,500  12pts

2nd deteacher     32,050   11pts

3rd fakecortex     22,260  10pts+1pt #

4th graywest       14,500   9pts

5th McKong         12,550   8pts

6th tompateus     12,150   7pts

7th AtariSphix      10,550   6pts

8th carlsson          8,960   5pts