IGNORED

HSC18 Round 11: WHISTLER'S BROTHER & NEPTUNE'S DAUGHTER

18,450.  I thought this game was kind of wonky and not all that great, and then I started to get the hang of it, and wow do I hate this game.  

The controls are bad.  The main mechanic does not work.  It's loaded with cheap deaths, and it's glitchy as all get out.  I lost my last life on this score for no discernable reason; the doctor just fell through the floor out of nowhere.  WTF!?  Did they playtest this thing at all?

I could improve my score, and maybe I will, but only if I'm in a lousy mood to begin with, because this game is sure to ruin a good one.  

IMG_20210703_064016.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, MrTrust said:

18,450.  I thought this game was kind of wonky and not all that great, and then I started to get the hang of it, and wow do I hate this game.  

The controls are bad.  The main mechanic does not work.  It's loaded with cheap deaths, and it's glitchy as all get out.  I lost my last life on this score for no discernable reason; the doctor just fell through the floor out of nowhere.  WTF!?  Did they playtest this thing at all?

I could improve my score, and maybe I will, but only if I'm in a lousy mood to begin with, because this game is sure to ruin a good one.  

IMG_20210703_064016.jpg

During one of my runs yesterday, my character just decided to stop being able to climb ladders.  Then, after about 5-10 seconds, he just died.  There are definitely some QA issues with this game.  It certainly feels like this was rushed out the door.  In spite of this, it is a fun game.  With some touch ups here and there, it could surely go from good to great!

• Like 2

11650  13950

Been a *long* time since I was played this one

1625330812809409084092533790781.jpg

I haven't had any luck getting Neptune's Daughters to work.  I've tried in OSB and the 1200 XL and neither seemed to do anything after I pressed the start button.  Might just have a bad rom though so I'll redownload and try again.

Edited by 8BIT 1337
New Score
  • Like 3

Ok, I gave WB a second chance, using the Vjetnamese ATR version that starts with 4 instead of 9 lives. I cleared the first chapter, but didn't get very far into the second one.

Whistler's Brother - 5450 pts

@therealbountybob: Please disregard my previously reported score since it was on the 9 lives version that also seems to boost the scores for every item you pick up by a huge lot.

Bonus game:

Neptune's Daughters - 38502 pts

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 2

Ok, I REALLY hate Chapter 7.  Getting the 2 tools is super easy, so you would think that the level is a breeze.  AU CONTRAIRE!  That numbnuts brother of yours haphazardly falls off every vine/tree branch he comes across.  If you don't keep him right on your butt the whole time, he'll wander off and die!  

This last run, I got to chapter 7 with 6 lives...lost every one of them.  :mad:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, tompateus said:

26650 pts.

Crapgame! I can't reatch the tools on chapter 4?

I can live with the glitches, but i'm not abel to get the tools.

20210704_212102.jpg

Most of the time, I end up sacrificing a life to grab the tools on chapter 4, but the biggest tip I can give you is this.  There can only be on enemy on the screen at a time (arrow, mummy, snake, etc.)  In the manual, it states "The frog is your friend."  So, on Chapter 4, if you can get the frog to appear on the screen, you can run around and get other treasures (and perhaps a tool) without fear of another baddie coming to get you.  Just make sure you (or your nitwit brother) isn't in the path of the frog.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I made a fool out of my self!

First time i played chapter 4, i tried to climb the first ladder witch have some "blurr" in it, and i died. 

So i tought that the "blurr" was dangerous, and did not walk thru it on the floor to the first tool.

Now i know that you can walk thru it, but not climbe a ladder that have "blurr" on it..

?

That was my issue!

• Like 2

Neptune's Daughter: 547,311

20210705_225256.thumb.jpg.a4c197b979c94956131b977a448c3082.jpg

I love this game, it's just too bad that the difficulty plateaus after round 5 or so. Although I think it keeps adding a new set of 5 to the number of amoebas/mines/jellyfish that you have to kill in the 4th stage, so there's that. I quit at this point, with 7 lives left, feeling like I could play pretty much indefinitely.

STORYTIME: This was one of the pirated games I got from a family friend on a set of copied floppies, so eight-year-old me had to figure out how to play it without instructions. Took quite awhile, especially the part where you have to feed 5 crabs to the snake, but I felt a true sense of accomplishment once I saw the end. Also, it blew my young mind when I saw that Neptune's Daughter was NAKED! I figured this was one of those "adult" games I'd heard about from schoolmates, and I'd better not let my parents see it, or they might take it away. ?

• Like 3
  • Haha 2